Schefter: Multiple teams contacted Bears about Jordan Howard

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Multiple teams.....think Jordan Howard is a good running back. Surprise.

Anymore it seems we cannot get him outta here fast enough. Like he's an impediment to the team.
Yup. H8rs are h8ing but Jo. Howa. has value.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Not surprised. He's a good, young running back, but his hands aren't great and is more of a bruiser, doesn't really fit into the offense. He'll have more success elsewhere than he would here.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If this was true then the Bears would have traded him last year. Clearly the Bears:

A. Think he has some value or he wouldn't have had 200+ carries for them last year.
B. Think he's a square peg in a round hole.
C. Want more than a ham sammy for him.

Last year Nagy didnt know if he would be able to adapt and fit the offense or not. Keeping a previously productive RB to see if they can is wise. And there were a LOT of other offensive areas to fix last off-season instead of trying to fix a strength with a better fit.

But "several teams inquiring" doesnt mean several teams are currently interested in making a trade for Howard. Other GMs turn over every stone looking for ways to improve as well. Doesn't mean they are wanting to pull the trigger though...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Multiple teams.....think Jordan Howard is a good running back. Surprise.

Anymore it seems we cannot get him outta here fast enough. Like he's an impediment to the team.
That's way too simplistic. Howard in this offense is like using a plow horse in the Kentucky Derby or using a dump truck to deliver pizza. He has a lot of value, just not at the task the Bears are asking him to perform. And I imagine Howard feels the same way. He is entering a contract year. Do you think he would rather be playing second or possibly third fiddle in an offense he is ill fit for or be the feature back in a power offense putting up numbers like his 1st 2 seasons?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think you trade him just to trade him. If a better offer comes up from a team that actually improves Howard’s situation fine, but there aren’t many of those fits anymore and Howard needs to show his value in a post-modern offense to have real free agent value at his position. The bears need him and are a great fit.

If better for everyone appears so be it, but don’t sell cheaper than his value to team and do draft a rb 3-5 round area. I hope he stays and I think in the end cooler heads prevail and he stays.

These lineman need second year in system solidarity to show him off. Stay where he is, compete for a chip, and preserve himself. Chicago is a great fit for his situation and he would have 10tds if used properly.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
If all the teams have reps at the combine, and they're asking what the Bears would want for Howard, that should tell you something about the backs coming out this year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don’t think you trade him just to trade him. If a better offer comes up from a team that actually improves Howard’s situation fine, but there aren’t many of those fits anymore and Howard needs to show his value in a post-modern offense to have real free agent value at his position. The bears need him and are a great fit.

If better for everyone appears so be it, but don’t sell cheaper than his value to team and do draft a rb 3-5 round area. I hope he stays and I think in the end cooler heads prevail and he stays.

These lineman need second year in system solidarity to show him off. Stay where he is, compete for a chip, and preserve himself. Chicago is a great fit for his situation and he would have 10tds if used properly.
1) He is not a "great fit" for the current Bears offense.
2)Any team trading for him is likely a better fit for him, but should not even enter the equation as to whether or not to trade him.
3) Show him off next season for what? Free agency?
4) Drugs are bad. Just say no, kids.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's way too simplistic. Howard in this offense is like using a plow horse in the Kentucky Derby or using a dump truck to deliver pizza. He has a lot of value, just not at the task the Bears are asking him to perform. And I imagine Howard feels the same way. He is entering a contract year. Do you think he would rather be playing second or possibly third fiddle in an offense he is ill fit for or be the feature back in a power offense putting up numbers like his 1st 2 seasons?

I would rather he stayed than trust a rookie and Cohen next year....that actually scares me a little. You have a proven commodity in Jordan Howard, who had one bad year, where the coach possibly didn't get the most out of him....and we're trading him for unknowns.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why move him when you have 12 more months at 2,000,000 for a safety net in case Nall ain’t it and your draft pick ain’t ready to pass protect?

The one thing is we are hard up for draft picks. In normal scenario I would sell no lower than 3rd, but in this case would understand a fourth to be used on better fit running back.

I say keep him and use the time though to find his replacement before loss. Don’t go backwards unless forced.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do think a third is realistic. He does not have a big contract and he is a sure fire above average productive running back. That cannot be said about drafting a running back in the third round of this year's draft.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last year Nagy didnt know if he would be able to adapt and fit the offense or not. Keeping a previously productive RB to see if they can is wise. And there were a LOT of other offensive areas to fix last off-season instead of trying to fix a strength with a better fit.

But "several teams inquiring" doesnt mean several teams are currently interested in making a trade for Howard. Other GMs turn over every stone looking for ways to improve as well. Doesn't mean they are wanting to pull the trigger though...

Sure it mean willing to trade. They aren't inquiring if he will be cut. Issue is value.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Earl B. Bennett
@EarlBBennett
39m39 minutes ago
So trade talk still circling about @JHowardx24 My guy said he wants to play in Chicago. He has been very productive. What am I missing?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I feel like a 5th is the best that can be done this year. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 4th (maybe 3rd) for next year.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I would rather he stayed than trust a rookie and Cohen next year....that actually scares me a little. You have a proven commodity in Jordan Howard, who had one bad year, where the coach possibly didn't get the most out of him....and we're trading him for unknowns.

That proven commodity is a misfit, it seems. Sure, we'd like to keep players we drafted and developed, but the running game is not really a focus for this scheme. Howard is going to get us a better return this year if he's traded than in two years when we finally get a comp pick for him.

My best guess is that he ends up in Denver, where Fangio is going to love his ability to grind hard yards to keep the offense moving and the defense resting. Probably going to get a 4th in return. Aside from Cohen, who is a more influential weapon than Howard for us, I'm guessing we have a high turnover rate at RB until we find someone that we can keep on field for a hurry-up, lightning quick offense.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Earl B. Bennett
@EarlBBennett
39m39 minutes ago
So trade talk still circling about @JHowardx24 My guy said he wants to play in Chicago. He has been very productive. What am I missing?

So much for the theories from msmeadows and eyedoc that he wants to/will ask to be traded.

He knows he's got a shot a SB here....he doesn't want to go.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Earl B. Bennett
@EarlBBennett
39m39 minutes ago

1. He is a huge tell to the defense, the Bears run it 25% more with him on the field
2. He can only run zone runs
3. He runs 1 route, the flat, and while he does catch check downs he cannot run routes more than 5 yards
4. He has been productive on awful offenses

That is what is missing.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So much for the theories from msmeadows and eyedoc that he wants to/will ask to be traded.

He knows he's got a shot a SB here....he doesn't want to go.

He does but he isnt working in the system. I want Howard to stay but he makes the plays predictable when out there

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He does but he isnt working in the system. I want Howard to stay but he makes the plays predictable when out there

Just to play devil's advocate.... but can some of this be blamed on Nagy? If he's this great offensive genius shouldn't he be able to incorporate a running back who was really good his first two years? Is this a Mike Martz/Greg Olsen situation we're gonna regret 5 years from now?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Nicholas Moreano
‏@NicholasMoreano
17m17 minutes ago
Adam Schefter joined Waddle & Silvy to discuss the Jordan Howard trade rumors. Schefter said that the talks have been going on for a while. Schefter said he thinks the trade could get done once trades start happening. He also believes that Howard would be traded for a Day 3 pick.

Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
Aaron Leming Retweeted Nicholas Moreano
Referenced the Carlos Hyde trade, which was for a 5th rounder. #Bears

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nicholas Moreano
‏@NicholasMoreano
17m17 minutes ago
Adam Schefter joined Waddle & Silvy to discuss the Jordan Howard trade rumors. Schefter said that the talks have been going on for a while. Schefter said he thinks the trade could get done once trades start happening. He also believes that Howard would be traded for a Day 3 pick.

Aaron Leming

Verified account

@AaronLemingNFL
Following Following @AaronLemingNFL
More Aaron Leming Retweeted Nicholas Moreano
Referenced the Carlos Hyde trade, which was for a 5th rounder. #Bears