Schefter: Multiple teams contacted Bears about Jordan Howard

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Howard isn't going anywhere without a replacement in hand....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Howard brings play action and an outlet to the passing game and enough assets to keep around if not offered enough for exchange. The reason there's talk is because other teams justifiably suspect that Nagy would prefer a Swiss army knife.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just to play devil's advocate.... but can some of this be blamed on Nagy? If he's this great offensive genius shouldn't he be able to incorporate a running back who was really good his first two years? Is this a Mike Martz/Greg Olsen situation we're gonna regret 5 years from now?

He is really good at one thing.

The problem is not that he is really good at one thing it is that he is not even passable at a couple of important things.

Like having a contractor that can only install flooring.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard isn't going anywhere without a replacement in hand....

Spencer Ware and a Draft Pick. But I agree they will have someone in place before the move gets made. They may already have a pretty good idea about Ware or someone after the combine.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is better than Carlos Hyde.....by quite a bit.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
That proven commodity is a misfit, it seems. Sure, we'd like to keep players we drafted and developed, but the running game is not really a focus for this scheme. Howard is going to get us a better return this year if he's traded than in two years when we finally get a comp pick for him.

My best guess is that he ends up in Denver, where Fangio is going to love his ability to grind hard yards to keep the offense moving and the defense resting. Probably going to get a 4th in return. Aside from Cohen, who is a more influential weapon than Howard for us, I'm guessing we have a high turnover rate at RB until we find someone that we can keep on field for a hurry-up, lightning quick offense.

They drafted Royce Freeman last year and have Phillip Lindsay too.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I would rather he stayed than trust a rookie and Cohen next year....that actually scares me a little. You have a proven commodity in Jordan Howard, who had one bad year, where the coach possibly didn't get the most out of him....and we're trading him for unknowns.
Yes but it's replacing last year's 3.7 YPA, 935 YRD JH, not the 5.2YPA,1313 YRD JH.

His YPA was 39th of 49 for qualified RB's last season.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Spencer Ware and a Draft Pick. But I agree they will have someone in place before the move gets made. They may already have a pretty good idea about Ware or someone after the combine.

I agree that I think thats the plan..... not really in love with Ware's durability though.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I agree that I think thats the plan..... not really in love with Ware's durability though.
I hear ya, if we get Ware, instead of say, Coleman, the draft RB better be able to rush between the tackles.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just to play devil's advocate.... but can some of this be blamed on Nagy? If he's this great offensive genius shouldn't he be able to incorporate a running back who was really good his first two years? Is this a Mike Martz/Greg Olsen situation we're gonna regret 5 years from now?

Yes some of this can be blamed on Nagy since you are playing remy's advocate

msadows

Liked Posts:
So much for the theories from msmeadows and eyedoc that he wants to/will ask to be traded.

He knows he's got a shot a SB here....he doesn't want to go.

If he gets 150 carries in a season, I can 100% guarantee you he won't be happy.

This is a contract year for him, he's not some magical anomaly for a football player that doesn't have money on his mind. He wants 250+ carries and wants to have a great year. This will be the only big contract he will get in his career, obviously he want's every opportunity to earn it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cohen, Ware, Nail, and a draft pick works for me.

But better yet keep Howard, get ware, and spend our 4 picks elsewhere.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given all of his shortcomings, I still think it would be extremely foolish of the Bears to trade Howard for anything lower than a 4th round pick (preferably top 100 pick). He is simply much more valuable to the Bears this season than a 2019 low round pick.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Bears generally look out for their players and trading Howard is in his best interest in a contract year. 2 million in cap space is an added bonus that can be used for Amos or Callahan.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
With the cap savings of 2 mil, pay tevin Coleman 5.5 per year and it is like a 3.5 mil cap number net the savings.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With the cap savings of 2 mil, pay tevin Coleman 5.5 per year and it is like a 3.5 mil cap number net the savings.

What's this hard on for Tevin Coleman? I'd rather just have Nagy hand pick his guy from the draft.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is really good at one thing.

The problem is not that he is really good at one thing it is that he is not even passable at a couple of important things.

Like having a contractor that can only install flooring.

Short yardage, zone run, blocking. He fine as an outlet as well. He lacks any advanced route running but I'm sure can do a wheel and he's not rump cut nifty but few have everything. He's may not be the optimum guy for this O but he has value and is worth keeping if you don't get a good offer.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Short yardage, zone run, blocking. He fine as an outlet as well. He lacks any advanced route running but I'm sure can do a wheel and he's not rump cut nifty but few have everything. He's may not be the optimum guy for this O but he has value and is worth keeping if you don't get a good offer.

I love Howard and think he should have a nice role in this offense, but if the coaching staff has doubts about his 'fit/limitations' and Pace doesn't plan on signing him to a second contract, I'd rather get something for him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He is a good blocker. Short yardage and zone runs are the same thing.

He does 2 things well. When he is on the field he provides no real passing game threat and the defense knows a majority of the time they are going to be running inside zone. That is a lot of information to give the defense.