Schefter: Multiple teams contacted Bears about Jordan Howard

msadows

Liked Posts:
What is this offense? Is Mizzell a fit for this offense? I would rather build around Jordan than Cohen. I love Cohen but he just runs out of bounds most of the time. Mizzell usually just gets hit in the backfield for a loss. But I see your point, Nagy has a hard time working in a power back. Problem is Howard is good but Nagy seems to have a hard time fitting him in.

the problem is Nagy likes to create a lot of misdirection, use gadget plays, and run plays with different formations and blocking schemes.

Jordan howard isn't a fit towards ANY of that. Cohen is.

I have no idea what you are even talking about as far as mizzell. Dude had 9 rush attempts on the season and only played like 4% of the total snaps. Mizzell IS more of a fit for this offense than Howard, but he sucks.

Howard is a good back that was placed in a bad situation. This might be one of the least friendly offensive systems for his skillset in the entire nfl.

Now the question is does Nagy revamp his offense to better feature Jordan Howard, or do we find a replacement for him and keep the offense Nagy envisioned when hired? My guess is Howard won't be here come draft time.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
What is this offense? Is Mizzell a fit for this offense? I would rather build around Jordan than Cohen. I love Cohen but he just runs out of bounds most of the time. Mizzell usually just gets hit in the backfield for a loss. But I see your point, Nagy has a hard time working in a power back. Problem is Howard is good but Nagy seems to have a hard time fitting him in.

Well...It's not so much that he's a power back, it's more that he's a one dimensional volume back. Howard needs 15,20,25 carries. He needs to be the focal point, and fundamentally, there is no focal point in Nagy's offense. It's not asking him to alter it to fit a power back, it's asking him to change literally everything he wants his offense to be. At base, he needs a guy who on 1st down can run it, or be utilized multiple ways in the passing game. They need someone who can maximize 15 touches. None of that is Jordan Howard.

In the end, if you can get something for Jordan Howard, it's win win. He goes somewhere he can thrive, and the Bears get a return on a guy who they're definitely not going to re-sign.

napo55

Liked Posts:
It's more that he's so limited in the passing game. Cohen might run the ball, or he might run a bunch of different routes from a bunch of different positions. With Howard, there are like two routes he can run, and he has very little(if any) ability to make plays downfield.

I love Jordan Howard, but he is a horrible fit for this offense. He needs to be the lead back in a run first offense. He's totally wasted in this offense.

And I know we're not supposed to sat it, but that's the rationale that was used to justify trading Greg Olsen. The mark of a good coach is to utilize the best talent available. if they want to draft or sign another RB and see if he can do the job, fine. But keep Howard around until the new back proves he can fill the roll. This is especially true if you believe the team will be a contender this year.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I'm hoping they don't just trade him for a draft pick. That creates a hole that you're hoping can be filled by a low draft pick. If the draft falls wrong you're screwed.

Best case they have a trade set up or maybe a couple, but don't pull the trigger till the draft. Then they can see what's on the board.

Another nice option would be trading for a player in a similar situation. A solid safety stuck behind a stud or something.

Handcuffing yourself before the draft isn't smart.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Jordan howard played 60% of the snap count.

Its not a stupid stat to point out. He played 650 snaps at RB, 250 of which were runs. The rest were pass plays. Means 60% of the time he was in, we actually passed. I'm not good at math, but I'm pretty sure that means we passed more than we ran when he was in.

Obviously it isn't as high as cohen, but cohen played 46% of the snaps and the team improved all around with him in. Cohen obviously had more passes thrown to him, but I'm pretty sure averaging 4.5 YPC versus 3.7YPC also helped the team.

Actually, unless my math is wrong, Cohen and Howard basically played about the same # of pass plays once you remove their rushing statistics.

650 snaps for howard - 250 rushes = 400 pass plays.

495 snaps for cohen - 99 rushes = 396 pass plays.

yep cant argue with this. As much as I like JH he is really not helping this offence.

Any idea what compensatory pick we will get after next year when he walks? As long as we get at least that this year then i think he is gone.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I'm hoping they don't just trade him for a draft pick. That creates a hole that you're hoping can be filled by a low draft pick. If the draft falls wrong you're screwed.

Best case they have a trade set up or maybe a couple, but don't pull the trigger till the draft. Then they can see what's on the board.

Another nice option would be trading for a player in a similar situation. A solid safety stuck behind a stud or something.

Handcuffing yourself before the draft isn't smart.

it would be the opposite.. we are going to try and improve that position regardless if we trade him or not. He wasnt productive enough in this system. so having an extra pic helps in that.. we can use the howard pic and another pic to move up and grab someone..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is a good blocker. Short yardage and zone runs are the same thing .

He does 2 things well. When he is on the field he provides no real passing game threat and the defense knows a majority of the time they are going to be running inside zone. That is a lot of information to give the defense.

Tell that to Forte. Stretch plays and off tackle are inside? I guess you mean that he doesn't bounce everything all the way to the sideline like Cohen.

We all know he doesn't fit unless Nagy changes things up but he's more than that. If they don't get at least a 4th for him, they should pass.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
yep cant argue with this. As much as I like JH he is really not helping this offence.

Any idea what compensatory pick we will get after next year when he walks? As long as we get at least that this year then i think he is gone.

If they kept him all year and let him walk in 2020 FA, he'd probably garner a 4th at best for 2021

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Jordan howard played 60% of the snap count.

Its not a stupid stat to point out. He played 650 snaps at RB, 250 of which were runs. The rest were pass plays. Means 60% of the time he was in, we actually passed. I'm not good at math, but I'm pretty sure that means we passed more than we ran when he was in.

Obviously it isn't as high as cohen, but cohen played 46% of the snaps and the team improved all around with him in. Cohen obviously had more passes thrown to him, but I'm pretty sure averaging 4.5 YPC versus 3.7YPC also helped the team.

Actually, unless my math is wrong, Cohen and Howard basically played about the same # of pass plays once you remove their rushing statistics.

650 snaps for howard - 250 rushes = 400 pass plays.

495 snaps for cohen - 99 rushes = 396 pass plays.

Not sure where you are getting your information from...I have Howard with 624 snaps. I like the assumption that every snap which Howard didn't get a handoff resulted in a pass attempt, but whatever.

When Howard was in on 60% of the team's snaps, the Bears were 6-1. When he was in on less than 60%, they were 6-3. When Cohen was in on 45% of the team's snaps, the Bears were 6-3. When Cohen was in on less than 45% of the snaps, the Bears were 6-1. Amazing, amirite?

I figured out that the Bears averaged more yards per play when Anthony Miller was on the field, so I suggest the Bears move Miller to RB and replace Howard.

The elephant in the room is that Pace was beat to the punch by the Browns in acquiring Kareem Hunt. That was a terrible miscalculation by Pace, perhaps the biggest story of this offseason for the Bears. Had the Bears signed Hunt, no one would even be talking about Jordan Howard.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Not sure where you are getting your information from...I have Howard with 624 snaps. I like the assumption that every snap which Howard didn't get a handoff resulted in a pass attempt, but whatever.

When Howard was in on 60% of the team's snaps, the Bears were 6-1. When he was in on less than 60%, they were 6-3. When Cohen was in on 45% of the team's snaps, the Bears were 6-3. When Cohen was in on less than 45% of the snaps, the Bears were 6-1. Amazing, amirite?

I figured out that the Bears averaged more yards per play when Anthony Miller was on the field, so I suggest the Bears move Miller to RB and replace Howard.

The elephant in the room is that Pace was beat to the punch by the Browns in acquiring Kareem Hunt. That was a terrible miscalculation by Pace, perhaps the biggest story of this offseason for the Bears. Had the Bears signed Hunt, no one would even be talking about Jordan Howard.

That elephant was the McCaskey's not allowing Pace to sign a known woman beater again, no matter the circumstances.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with all that except Hunt which I think was a Team decision. No way his agent didn't give more teams a shot to sign him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
That is for sure, they would be cunting about the Bears signing an indefinitely suspended woman beater.

ESPN's Adam Schefter said on NFL Live that Hunt could be suspended 10-12 games in 2019. He would essentially miss the entire regular season. It is unclear if he would be able to take part in practices with the team during that suspension.

And not sure how you figure that Pace was beaten to the punch when he has said Bears never really seriously considered signing Hunt, unless you are just stirring the pot this a.m.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And not sure how you figure that Pace was beaten to the punch when he has said Bears never really seriously considered signing Hunt, unless you are just stirring the pot this a.m.

I guess you missed the end-of-year presser. The Bears claiming they were never really seriously considering Hunt is almost as laughable as Ryan Pace saying you should draft a QB every year. And if the Bears truly didn't consider signing Hunt, then shame on them.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Nagy is gonna get to make a pick for Pace with limited amount of draft picks this season, most likely NAGY will choose a WR.

Lol, what? If Bears trade Howard, they are drafting a RB. Bears have Miller, Robinson and Gabriel.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
If they kept him all year and let him walk in 2020 FA, he'd probably garner a 4th at best for 2021
Well they are projecting Kirk Cousins will net a 3rd Rd. So I seriously doubt JH will get a 4th.

My guess it will be a 6th maybe 5th.

And it could be absolutely nothing if we sign a bunch of free agents that year as well..

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I guess you missed the end-of-year presser. The Bears claiming they were never really seriously considering Hunt is almost as laughable as Ryan Pace saying you should draft a QB every year. And if the Bears truly didn't consider signing Hunt, then shame on them.
Yeah didn't watch the EOY presser, what did I miss about Hunt? I just was going by Pace's direct quote.

"I think with Kareem — did we talk about it? Yes. Was it serious? No.", he said. "And I think every scenario that comes up, we’d do our team a disservice if we didn’t discuss every scenario. We talked about it but it never got serious.

"Anything that comes up, I mean you guys see all the rumors flying around the combine right now, you explore everything. We owe that to ourselves. But for a variety of reasons it never got serious"

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why we're making things up to justify our view points. We had people saying Howard wants to leave and will ask to be traded...there's evidence now that that's not true. And the Bears dropped the ball by not going hard enough at Hunt - there's reason to believe he just wanted to be home. No nobody knows what happened, so quit making things up.

What we do know:

1. Hunt's not coming to the Bears. Get over it.
2. Howard wants to stay in Chicago. Quit pretending that you know what Howard wants or know what's best for him.
3. It's probably going to get messy.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Yeah didn't watch the EOY presser, what did I miss about Hunt?

He was the lone topic of Nagy's conversation. I don't think the words "Jordan Howard" were ever uttered. I thought this was huge news back in January, but I am always surprised at what is 'common knowledge' on CCS and what isn't.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And the Bears dropped the ball by not going hard enough at Hunt - there's reason to believe he just wanted to be home. No nobody knows what happened, so quit making things up.

LOL at this "White Sox/Kenny Williams" take. I am not making up the fact that Kareem Hunt is not a Bear, and instead signed a 'prove it' deal with another team that the Bears could have easily afforded.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at this "White Sox/Kenny Williams" take. I am not making up the fact that Kareem Hunt is not a Bear, and instead signed a 'prove it' deal with another team that the Bears could have easily afforded.

eh, yeah, but again, you don't know what happened.