Schefter: Multiple teams contacted Bears about Jordan Howard

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am just surprised the number of people that want to line it up and do it all again, after it failed last season.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
What's this hard on for Tevin Coleman? I'd rather just have Nagy hand pick his guy from the draft.

Not quite a hard on, but watch this guy play. He has big play ability, is tough to tackle, and can catch. I just think he is the perfect fit for our style. Fast, home run hitting, pass catching rb, who is young still, wont cost as a top tier back, who is more of a sure thing than a draft pick. If we move on from Howard, we could be in trouble if we draft a third rounder and expect him to be primary ball carrier. There is high bust potential, and we can’t play around as a super bowl contender. The position is too important. The minute we are weak at the position, we will lament not signing a guy like Coleman. But I predict we sign Coleman.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Good thing tho..that the Bears pretty much knows what teams are looking for or drafting a running back. That or teams aren't satisfied with the core of running back in this draft.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Given all of his shortcomings, I still think it would be extremely foolish of the Bears to trade Howard for anything lower than a 4th round pick (preferably top 100 pick). He is simply much more valuable to the Bears this season than a 2019 low round pick.

This is exactly what's been in my mind since CCS members brought up trading Howard.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What's this hard on for Tevin Coleman? I'd rather just have Nagy hand pick his guy from the draft.

If Nagy is gonna get to make a pick for Pace with limited amount of draft picks this season, most likely NAGY will choose a WR.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I am just surprised the number of people that want to line it up and do it all again, after it failed last season.

then again tho, in someway it's still possible that NAGY and Howard can figure it out and make it work. This at least i'ma be hopeful for. I really don't want Pace getting anything lower than a 4th for Howard...We need Howard just as bad as we need a good RB that fits. ETA; or any of our limited draft picks to turn out good and stick.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Given all of his shortcomings, I still think it would be extremely foolish of the Bears to trade Howard for anything lower than a 4th round pick (preferably top 100 pick). He is simply much more valuable to the Bears this season than a 2019 low round pick.

True. 3.7YPC is super valuable.

If there's one position where a low round pick can produce on a rookie season its running back. Won't be harder to produce better than 3.7YPC.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree that I think thats the plan..... not really in love with Ware's durability though.

Me eithee. Rather take a chance on Coleman and im not that high on him either

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Given all of his shortcomings, I still think it would be extremely foolish of the Bears to trade Howard for anything lower than a 4th round pick (preferably top 100 pick). He was simply much more valuable to the Bears LAST season than a 2019 low round pick.

fify Adipost...

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
True. 3.7YPC is super valuable.

If there's one position where a low round pick can produce on a rookie season its running back. Won't be harder to produce better than 3.7YPC.

Yup. People are too emotional over a solid RB that clearly doesn't fit this offense, and handcuffs it. When Howard is on the field we're more predictable and less dynamic.

At this point anything we get for him is a plus. Teams know he's not in our future plans. So if we can even get a 5th for him I'd take it. It's better than letting him walk for nothing

People on this site act like we haven't seen productive mid-round rookie RBs in recent years. That's one of the easier positions to contribute at early.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yup. People are too emotional over a solid RB that clearly doesn't fit this offense, and handcuffs it. When Howard is on the field we're more predictable and less dynamic.

At this point anything we get for him is a plus. Teams know he's not in our future plans. So if we can even get a 5th for him I'd take it. It's better than letting him walk for nothing

People on this site act like we haven't seen productive mid-round rookie RBs in recent years. That's one of the easier positions to contribute at early.

Today on Waddle and Silvy they pulled a stat out of their asses that said the offense WITHOUT howard on the field netted more than 7 yards per play. With howard, it netted around 4 yards per play.

"Doesn't fit" is an understatement, he literally makes this offense worse.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I love Jordan Howard, but it is apparent our offense is predictable when he is in the game. Nagy is a very creative playcaller, and Howard is limited in his versatility. Gonna miss him, but we didn't do him right last year. He deserves an opportunity to be a feature back.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Today on Waddle and Silvy they pulled a stat out of their asses that said the offense WITHOUT howard on the field netted more than 7 yards per play. With howard, it netted around 4 yards per play.

That isn’t fair when he suits the game plan better closing out games or in December when he was used more.

Hmmmm...the short yardage back has less yards per play I wonder why you fucking moron.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love Jordan Howard, but it is apparent our offense is predictable when he is in the game. Nagy is a very creative playcaller, and Howard is limited in his versatility. Gonna miss him, but we didn't do him right last year. He deserves an opportunity to be a feature back.

How did they not "do him right"? He got 250 carries so he certainly was the feature back.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lol. What a stupidly obvious stat to point out. Next you’ll tell me that you heard on the radio that a pass nets more yards than a run.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Lol. What a stupidly obvious stat to point out. Next you’ll tell me that you heard on the radio that a pass nets more yards than a run.

How is that stat stupid? Howard makes the offense predictable. When a defense has a better idea than usual of what an offense is going to do, it makes their job easier.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is that stat stupid? Howard makes the offense predictable. When a defense has a better idea than usual of what an offense is going to do, it makes their job easier.

And when Cohen is in, the Bears are more likely to pass. Does that mean Cohen also makes the offense predictable? A passing play nets more yards than a running play, that’s basically what you are telling me. I’m not even a big fan of Howard, but his criticism has gone way overboard at this point.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:

Jordan howard played 60% of the snap count.

Its not a stupid stat to point out. He played 650 snaps at RB, 250 of which were runs. The rest were pass plays. Means 60% of the time he was in, we actually passed. I'm not good at math, but I'm pretty sure that means we passed more than we ran when he was in.

Obviously it isn't as high as cohen, but cohen played 46% of the snaps and the team improved all around with him in. Cohen obviously had more passes thrown to him, but I'm pretty sure averaging 4.5 YPC versus 3.7YPC also helped the team.

Actually, unless my math is wrong, Cohen and Howard basically played about the same # of pass plays once you remove their rushing statistics.

650 snaps for howard - 250 rushes = 400 pass plays.

495 snaps for cohen - 99 rushes = 396 pass plays.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
And when Cohen is in, the Bears are more likely to pass. Does that mean Cohen also makes the offense predictable? A passing play nets more yards than a running play, that’s basically what you are telling me. I’m not even a big fan of Howard, but his criticism has gone way overboard at this point.

It's more that he's so limited in the passing game. Cohen might run the ball, or he might run a bunch of different routes from a bunch of different positions. With Howard, there are like two routes he can run, and he has very little(if any) ability to make plays downfield.

I love Jordan Howard, but he is a horrible fit for this offense. He needs to be the lead back in a run first offense. He's totally wasted in this offense.

34_Bear

Liked Posts:
It's more that he's so limited in the passing game. Cohen might run the ball, or he might run a bunch of different routes from a bunch of different positions. With Howard, there are like two routes he can run, and he has very little(if any) ability to make plays downfield.

I love Jordan Howard, but he is a horrible fit for this offense. He needs to be the lead back in a run first offense. He's totally wasted in this offense.

What is this offense? Is Mizzell a fit for this offense? I would rather build around Jordan than Cohen. I love Cohen but he just runs out of bounds most of the time. Mizzell usually just gets hit in the backfield for a loss. But I see your point, Nagy has a hard time working in a power back. Problem is Howard is good but Nagy seems to have a hard time fitting him in.