Schmitz: Getsy Made it Obvious

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Exactly. People can blame Fields for this game, because they have and they will, but when you take a deeper look, I think you see something similar to what you did with Nagy. Fields is on the list of problems, but he isn't near the top. We keep throwing new QBs at a problem that isn't the QB's fault and wondering why every QB "isn't the guy".

I'm also seeing another Nagy-esque trait. Last season, Getsy tried to make Justin Fields be Joe Montana. He's not, so he didn't look good. Getsy changed the offense and suddenly Fields becomes a budding star. Now week 1 it feels like he tried to turn Fields into someone else. I don't know. It didn't feel right. None of it did. The short passes were fine for the first few passes, but then we should start seeing some variety, and it feels like we never did.
Start hitting them short, establish some sort of run game and then open up deep shots with play action.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looking at the article, this clip shows my biggest issue with Fields right now. It's more like he doesn't trust what he sees as opposed to not seeing it.
To be clear, I don't blame Fields for this loss and he was under duress but these things still happened.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He definitely needs to clean up the penalties but outside of that he far from struggled. He was closer to dominant in his assignments (at least pass blocking) than struggling. His holding when fields rolled out to his side was just lack of awareness fields was coming that way as he had good hand position and just needs to release. His holding on the run was pretty close to just being a pancake.
he almost got Fields killed on the naked boot.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Looking at the article, this clip shows my biggest issue with Fields right now. It's more like he doesn't trust what he sees as opposed to not seeing it.
To be clear, I don't blame Fields for this loss and he was under duress but these things still happened.
I can see where this rep looks problematic. It looks like he sees Mooney, and then half a second later, he gets sacked. Where as he should see Mooney and immediately rip it. Even if that mentality results in more turnovers, I think you still have to rip it. I don't know why he seems hesitant. Just fucking rip it, dude.

In conclusion, JUST RIP IT!

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
he almost got Fields killed on the naked boot.
I think that's more of an issue with play design than Jones. I hate the design but for years with mitch and fields we've been watching them roll off the play action into unblocked DEs. The goal is to get them to bite on the PA otherwise the qb has to get the head around quick and beat that guy. Unless I'm wrong on Jones assignment on that play, I don't think that's his mistake. I do hate that design but when it works it does lead to some huge plays downfield or a huge space to run for the qb.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
You hire cowards who won’t rock the boat they are going to coach and call games like cowards. “Don’t make a mistake, don’t practice you might get hurt, don’t run you might get hurt, just take the check down, be a game manager.” So tired of this shit, sell the team!
This is one of the many reasons why hiring a defensive head coach is never a good idea. Too often, defensive guys have this disposition towards making their quarterbacks into conservative game manager types that better compliment their defense instead of letting them be who they are and trying to refine everything little by little.

What I feared would happen going in to this season is that the coaches would try and coach the legs out of Justin Fields and turn him into something he's not, which is a pocket passer. Matt Nagy did this to Trubisky in 2019 and ruined him. If you want to run him less over time, that's fine, but the dramatic shift towards not running him at all is so insane that it honestly scares me into believing that none of these guys have any idea of what they are doing.

You hope last week was just a one-off, and they'll get back to what they were doing towards the end of last year, because otherwise, the Bears may have just ruined another promising young quarterback.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that's more of an issue with play design than Jones. I hate the design but for years with mitch and fields we've been watching them roll off the play action into unblocked DEs. The goal is to get them to bite on the PA otherwise the qb has to get the head around quick and beat that guy. Unless I'm wrong on Jones assignment on that play, I don't think that's his mistake. I do hate that design but when it works it does lead to some huge plays downfield or a huge space to run for the qb.
Yeah Getsy is definitely reetarded.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Davis was fine in the pass game, didn't get to rewatch his run snaps. Jones as well. Claypool sucked, looks like a complete bust. Fields and Getsy need to rethink everything in a hurry. Fields has to start throwing guys open, or this will be his last year here.

Anyone can see that Williams is brutal.

The dabearsblog guy doesn't know enough about football to be linked as some kind of authority here.
not sure what you watched but davis was not fine on pass block sets...fine to me would be above average and i cant even call his play average...the biggest mistake was probably the lunge and whiff where the bears were near their own endzone. other plays that come to mind where davis loses leverage early and his man gets by to cause a pressure. others were both he and wright on handling stunts but thats more communication than anything else. i'm hoping this is just rust from not done much at camp and preseason...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
not sure what you watched but davis was not fine on pass block sets...fine to me would be above average and i cant even call his play average...the biggest mistake was probably the lunge and whiff where the bears were near their own endzone. other plays that come to mind where davis loses leverage early and his man gets by to cause a pressure. others were both he and wright on handling stunts but thats more communication than anything else. i'm hoping this is just rust from not done much at camp and preseason...
He gave up maybe two pressures - one on a play where he lunged too much. Handled stunts really well. Never beaten directly off the snap. Whitehair and Patrick were several times each.

If you expect him to give up zero pressures and handle his man 95% of the time, then sure. But that almost never happens in the NFL, espeically against an above average DL like Green Bay's.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I can see where this rep looks problematic. It looks like he sees Mooney, and then half a second later, he gets sacked. Where as he should see Mooney and immediately rip it. Even if that mentality results in more turnovers, I think you still have to rip it. I don't know why he seems hesitant. Just fucking rip it, dude.

In conclusion, JUST RIP IT!
“When in doubt, whip it out” - Mel Tucker

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Getsy was going with a "horizontal" game plan. I wonder he was doing meth when he came up with this game plan.
Moore and Mooney were hardly utilized

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Start hitting them short, establish some sort of run game and then open up deep shots with play action.
Except Getsy didn’t even try that, it was short passes or bust

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Yep. He fell in love with Rich Gannon 2002 Raiders offense with 5yd horizontal passes.

Sad thing is, most of them weren't even 5 yards. I don't understand how your scheme calls for 14 of 37 passing plays to be thrown behind the line of scrimmage. Only threw 5 passes further than 10 yards and one of them went for a touchdown. Good thing they didn't throw deep again, might've actually scored!

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He only had one brutal rep and that was when they were backed up inside their own 10, unfortunately.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
Getsy was going with a "horizontal" game plan. I wonder he doing meth when he came up with this game plan.
Moore and Mooney were hardly utilized
Literally could not agree more and belief that Getsy wants to do some sort of transformation of Feilds at the expense of running plays and winning with his strengths so he can get a head coaching job somewhere else which is total bull**** if you were to ask me!

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If this was a game of Texas Poker, Getsy basically had his cards face up the entire game.

And yes, Claypool, Fields & Davis were all terrible. Wright’s debut had predictable struggles but also showed potential. Dude will be a baller by the end of the year. I wonder if they try to move him to the left side in the long run and put/try Jones at RT.

On the flip side, Williams doesn’t have to tip his plays. He’s just vanilla and has zero scheming abilities. His best fit might be on a high school team.

The same Schmitz that tweeted this a few weeks ago?

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I hope this was just Getsy and the Bears offense having a bad first day like 70 percent of the rest of the NFL in week 1.

Next week is an opportunity to fix all of that. They need to attack the Field vertically. Fields was 2/2 with a TD on throws down field yet they insisted in sticking with the short passing game. Honestly that short game seems like it would have been a lot more effective without all the pre snap penalties and missed bocks on the screens. Fields passes for about 70 percent and is on lace for about 3700 passing yards (to some passing yards is all that matters.

If Tonyan can learn to block, Foreman has a big play off of the screen instead of a 7 yard loss.