Schmitz: Getsy Made it Obvious

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope this was just Getsy and the Bears offense having a bad first day like 70 percent of the rest of the NFL in week 1.

My hope is it was just the Bears being completely overmatched at the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Getsy being a bad coach is a bigger problem.

Fields being a bad quarterback is an even bigger problem.

But the Bears having a total work in progress on the OL & DL is something we all knew going into 2023, so I can deal with growing pains there...especially going against a team where the trenches are their greatest strength.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
This is one of the many reasons why hiring a defensive head coach is never a good idea. Too often, defensive guys have this disposition towards making their quarterbacks into conservative game manager types that better compliment their defense instead of letting them be who they are and trying to refine everything little by little.

What I feared would happen going in to this season is that the coaches would try and coach the legs out of Justin Fields and turn him into something he's not, which is a pocket passer. Matt Nagy did this to Trubisky in 2019 and ruined him. If you want to run him less over time, that's fine, but the dramatic shift towards not running him at all is so insane that it honestly scares me into believing that none of these guys have any idea of what they are doing.

You hope last week was just a one-off, and they'll get back to what they were doing towards the end of last year, because otherwise, the Bears may have just ruined another promising young quarterback.
That's nonsense, QBs have to be able to operate out of the pocket, if all they can do is run, or need a moving pocket cutting the field in half then they don't belong in the NFL..

The more tools in the QBs toolbox the better so being able to run or being able to throw on the move is good to have.. but they also need to operate out of the pocket as well.. forcing a young QB to learn how to operate out of the pocket is the right move for his development, once they get good with that then you can strike a balance of running/moving pocket/ throwing from the pocket..

Trubisky didn't have it it's as simple as that

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
My hope is it was just the Bears being completely overmatched at the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Getsy being a bad coach is a bigger problem.

Fields being a bad quarterback is an even bigger problem.

But the Bears having a total work in progress on the OL & DL is something we all knew going into 2023, so I can deal with growing pains there...especially going against a team where the trenches are their greatest strength.

In Getsy's defense, the line was allowing immediate pressure on seemingly every play so calling anything vertically could get his QB killed. I think Lucas Patrick is as big of a liability as Mustipher ever was. Things might not get better until Teven is back.

I feel like the defense is still the bigger problem overall. While it's not enough ,20 points should be enough to at least keep a game competitive.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
That's nonsense, QBs have to be able to operate out of the pocket, if all they can do is run, or need a moving pocket cutting the field in half then they don't belong in the NFL..

The more tools in the QBs toolbox the better so being able to run or being able to throw on the move is good to have.. but they also need to operate out of the pocket as well.. forcing a young QB to learn how to operate out of the pocket is the right move for his development, once they get good with that then you can strike a balance of running/moving pocket/ throwing from the pocket..

You're a dumbass lol.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I had a lot of flashbacks to that 2019 season opener against the Pack on Sunday.

I spent most of that season trying to figure out if the problem was the QB or the playcalling.

Turned out to be both.

Rinse, repeat.

*sigh*

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I had a lot of flashbacks to that 2019 season opener against the Pack on Sunday.

I spent most of that season trying to figure out if the problem was the QB or the playcalling.

Turned out to be both.

Rinse, repeat.

*sigh*

To be fair, Fields played better in this game than Trubisky did in that game that Khalil Mack almost single handedly won before Rodgers snorted Percocets at halftime.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It was weird listening to the broadcast toward the end of the game. The announcers (Olsen) kept talking about how the fans had hope and that now that Rodgers was gone and Fields was making strides there was a lot of optimism regarding the Bears this season but it was the same old story about GB dominating CHI.

They went on and on about it and normally I'd be like STFU, but it was honestly exactly the mentality I felt. Like the Bears didn't show any progress or potential and it was there time to do so, at least show something.

Sure, they didn't get the W, but they lost in a very concerning manner. Oh well lol

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
He gave up maybe two pressures - one on a play where he lunged too much. Handled stunts really well. Never beaten directly off the snap. Whitehair and Patrick were several times each.

If you expect him to give up zero pressures and handle his man 95% of the time, then sure. But that almost never happens in the NFL, espeically against an above average DL like Green Bay's.

when hes getting paid 10 mill a season the expectations are high, i dont expect a perfect game, as you said its unrealistic but seeing a poor ass rep like this from a vet like davis? sorry but wyatt is no chris jones, donald, williams etc...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
when hes getting paid 10 mill a season the expectations are high, i dont expect a perfect game, as you said its unrealistic but seeing a poor ass rep like this from a vet like davis? sorry but wyatt is no chris jones, donald, williams etc...

Yes he had a few bad reps. The above was teh worst one. All players except elite ones are going to lose some when asked to pass protect 46 times. He has long been considered a really good run blocker and solid pass blocker. His performance was fine overall imo, when you watch all the snaps.

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair, Fields played better in this game than Trubisky did in that game that Khalil Mack almost single handedly won before Rodgers snorted Percocets at halftime.

That was 2018 and in Green Bay.

2019 was at Solider Field and arguably worse because the defense held the Pack to 10 and the offense only managed one field goal.

A lot of the same symptoms. Inconsistent line play, questionable play calling and poor QB decisions.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That was 2018. He’s talking about 2019, Amos won the game with an INT in the end zone.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That was 2018 and in Green Bay.

2019 was at Solider Field and arguably worse because the defense held the Pack to 10 and the offense only managed one field goal.

A lot of the same symptoms. Inconsistent line play, questionable play calling and poor QB decisions.
I think Nagy only called 12 runs in that game compared to 50(?) passes. It was a one score game for most of the time too.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I now need to watch this game. Give me some perspective. I thought the o line was just ass now people saying Jones did good.? Only part I know was a positive was Johnson at rb and Mooney who of could playing to get that big second contract... even if not here.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Nagy only called 12 runs in that game compared to 50(?) passes. It was a one score game for most of the time too.

I was curious so....

Trubisky was 26/45 for 223 yards with a pick, but no scores. He was sacked five times.

Fields was 24/37 for 218 yards with a TD pass, but his pick was a pick six. He was sacked four times.

The only real difference is the Bear defense was significantly better in 2019.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I now need to watch this game. Give me some perspective. I thought the o line was just ass now people saying Jones did good.? Only part I know was a positive was Johnson at rb and Mooney who of could playing to get that big second contract... even if not here.
Its called coping. Like when the Bears draft some guy and everyone goes "wait, who?" and then twenty minutes later after watching his college highlights everyone is ALL IN on the pick. Or when they have the most cap space in the league, only walk away with a couple of off-ball linebackers (who also suck) and everyone says that acksually that was a good thing.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Its called coping. Like when the Bears draft some guy and everyone goes "wait, who?" and then twenty minutes later after watching his college highlights everyone is ALL IN on the pick. Or when they have the most cap space in the league, only walk away with a couple of off-ball linebackers (who also suck) and everyone says that acksually that was a good thing.
Go watch the video of Jones reps in pass protection. You're a moron who doesn't know what he's looking at.

Everyone wants to throw the whole line under the bus, but in several clips where almost everyone is beat, Jones is still standing up his defender. I'm pretty sure the only pressure he gave up was on a play where he pushed his defender past the pocket and the defender looped back around and almost stripped fields because he was holding the ball too long. Unless I missed a different time he allowed a pressure.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The owner of DBB is some sort of putz that says he is an insider. Schmitz is a recent hire that actually reviews tape. 2 different people.
In fact DBB last week said he really doesn’t know anything about football but “his friends do” which makes me completely convinced that he actually is @Mighty Joe Young

I usually think Schmitz is a bit of a stroke but he’s spot on today.

Congrats to this new regime. They didn’t like Fields to begin with and have gone out of their way to ruin him. They’ll get their new qb and an extra couple years of leash from George and the great Tanesha Wade.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Go watch the video of Jones reps in pass protection. You're a moron who doesn't know what he's looking at.

Everyone wants to throw the whole line under the bus, but in several clips where almost everyone is beat, Jones is still standing up his defender. I'm pretty sure the only pressure he gave up was on a play where he pushed his defender past the pocket and the defender looped back around and almost stripped fields because he was holding the ball too long. Unless I missed a different time he allowed a pressure.
Give me a break with this shit. He was trash, and so was Darnell Wright. So were all of them. I'm not rewatching that trash game because it was all pretty obvious on Sunday what the problem was. This whole Braxton Jones Trutherism and Chase Claypool Trutherism is such crap, shoveling all the blame onto Luke Getsy when this team was built by a toddler is a joke.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Give me a break with this shit. He was trash, and so was Darnell Wright. So were all of them. I'm not rewatching that trash game because it was all pretty obvious on Sunday what the problem was. This whole Braxton Jones Trutherism and Chase Claypool Trutherism is such crap, shoveling all the blame onto Luke Getsy when this team was built by a toddler is a joke.
Lol if you are calling out his penalties that's one thing but there's 0 chance you actually watched his play and are saying that. You're a dipshit