Should the Cubs deal Castro?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well you have completely ignored the point about him generally playing many more innings than almost all other SS which is a great advantage in a counting stat like total chances.

I've not ignored it, hell, I've tried to look at Fielding %, which provides a much better scope of defensive ability than TC, given a certain # of opportunities, in my opinion. And, as previously stated, I don't see how Castro being healthier than every other SS is a bad thing. :shrug:

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Harvey is a 24 year old kid surrounded by a lousy team. He seems pretty motivated.

There are lots of young players that have come up on lousy teams that have the fire to succeed and improve.

I just don't see that in Castro.

He's a first year player who doesn't have a multi year multi million dollar contract... you're point is valid though. Castro at times is just flat out idiotic at SS, I mean when Bobby Valentine spends a half inning ranting about how bad his attitude is you know something is wrong, the kid can succeed, and be the guy he was his second year and more, he just needs to put in the work.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I've not ignored it, hell, I've tried to look at Fielding %, which provides a much better scope of defensive ability than TC, given a certain # of opportunities, in my opinion. And, as previously stated, I don't see how Castro being healthier than every other SS is a bad thing. :shrug:

You were posting while I was editing lol

Him being healthy is not a negative thing at all. Just said that by him playing more innings has a definite impact in a counting category.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You were posting while I was editing lol

Him being healthy is not a negative thing at all. Just said that by him playing more innings has a definite impact in a counting category.

lol, fair enough. Back on the first page, I originally discussed Fielding %...then Brett started discussing TC and how Castro has had fewer opportunities to make plays so his range is worse so his defense is worse or something...I don't know...i don't always speak that language.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
He's a first year player who doesn't have a multi year multi million dollar contract... you're point is valid though. Castro at times is just flat out idiotic at SS, I mean when Bobby Valentine spends a half inning ranting about how bad his attitude is you know something is wrong, the kid can succeed, and be the guy he was his second year and more, he just needs to put in the work.

I would totally agree that he could be the player he was in his second year and more, just don't see him putting in the work especially now that he is paid.

The new fad seems to be trying to sign players early and eliminating the arbitration years and hopefully a year or two of FA. However those arbitration and FA years are great motivators as well that are being taken away as well. So you have to be sure you choose players who will stay motivated to continue to work to get better and not be satisfied with the $60M they just made.

I think the Cubs might have already noticed that which is why there were a lot of incentives in Rizzo's deal that could increase the money he makes.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
lol, fair enough. Back on the first page, I originally discussed Fielding %...then Brett started discussing TC and how Castro has had fewer opportunities to make plays so his range is worse so his defense is worse or something...I don't know...i don't always speak that language.

LOL

Shit I am too old and drink too much to remember what was said on the first page lol

Reactions: X

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would totally agree that he could be the player he was in his second year and more, just don't see him putting in the work especially now that he is paid.

The new fad seems to be trying to sign players early and eliminating the arbitration years and hopefully a year or two of FA. However those arbitration and FA years are great motivators as well that are being taken away as well. So you have to be sure you choose players who will stay motivated to continue to work to get better and not be satisfied with the $60M they just made.

I think the Cubs might have already noticed that which is why there were a lot of incentives in Rizzo's deal that could increase the money he makes.

Pretty much, I'm not sure if it's that he isn't putting in the work he should be, or if he is just flat out trying to hard to put up stats, either way it is correlating to a lackluster season for the standards he has put on himself, I don't think it defines a transition away from him just yet though, hopefully he can turn it around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd drop him to #6 in the line up an put Valbuena in the 2 hole. Probably make the team better. Val takes walks. Castro hits and can get RBI opportunities. Dale needs to get his head out of his ass on this.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Rather than trading away a SS that has the talent to be a 25/25 guy, why not actually work with him to correct the issues in his plate approach.

Because some things are very hard for people to work out. Castro is a natural born swinger. He has no plate discipline whatsoever. Plate discipline is an important part to hitting.

If it were that easy to change mechanics or plate approach, Adam Dunn would not strike-out much. Soriano would not swing at breaking pitches away. B-Jax would be playing every day in center for the Cubs, and so on.....

Some players don't adjust and Castro's attention to detail is somewhat troubling in my opinion.

I feel if the right package came about, I would deal him away while his name is still somewhat hot.

Theo is going to make a shocking trade some where along the lines. Anything can happen to anybody.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
This coming from the same person who also wrote an article about the 'huge break' the Cubs got because no other team placed a waiver claim on Bowden.

From what happened, yes it was a huge break.... dumb ass!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Castro has been what I always have said he would be, not the pie in the sky guy everyone makes him to be. He's not that far off his highest trade value in my opinion. His total chances shows his range against his peers is not as impressive as his range in previous years against his peers (Don't worry X, you don't have to respond). He's getting moved position wise, the issue is I think Castro is peaked. And if that is the case, he needs to be moved, like yesterday.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
In 3 and close to a 1/3 seasons he has 30 HR's.

Not sure why anyone thinks he will suddenly turn into a 25 HR a year guy.

No chance it happens suddenly, but it gets back to that whole he needs to develop, and he was expected to further develop his power to around 20-25, he could, maybe, but I'd be happy with 15.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Castro has been what I always have said he would be, not the pie in the sky guy everyone makes him to be. He's not that far off his highest trade value in my opinion. His total chances shows his range against his peers is not as impressive as his range in previous years against his peers (Don't worry X, you don't have to respond). He's getting moved position wise, the issue is I think Castro is peaked. And if that is the case, he needs to be moved, like yesterday.

That's just terrible logic. Just...bad...

Willrust

Liked Posts:
25/25 guy? Steals sure. But not sure what you have seen so far to indicate 25 HR potential.
15 would be huge.

Castro hit 14 HR last year at age 22. Not out of the realm of possibility for him to gain muscle between the ages of 23 to 30 without losing his wheels.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
No chance it happens suddenly, but it gets back to that whole he needs to develop, and he was expected to further develop his power to around 20-25, he could, maybe, but I'd be happy with 15.

And it also reverts back to the plate discipline area which he lacks severely. He is a contact hitter. Granted, he does not strike out a lot, but he doesn't walk a lot either. That in itself will always prohibit him from being a power hitter because he is impatient.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Anybody take a look at his splits vs. LHP? He certainly is falling in line with the rest of the team vs. LHP.