Should the Cubs deal Castro?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also it is hard to say what the Rays would want in return for Price.

They have a need at 1B.

They have Will Myers in AAA. Should take up a corner OF spot.

Kak-Ju Lee from the Garza deal also in AAA should be the SS going forward. He looks GG caliber with top end speed. IE: better then Castro.

Looking at it I would want Arms. Cubs lack that. and a top end 1B. Vogelbach. They need a higher ended C prospect. Cubs lack that.

I'll bet the Rays could find a better match elsewhere.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I do not see Bryant being the #2 pick. If he passes on either Grey or Appel he will get flame thrown by some crazy Cubs fan.

He shouldnt be the pick, I'd be pissed. I just got a sinking feeling McThoyer decides to go his route.....

patg006

Liked Posts:
I'll bet the Rays could find a better match elsewhere.

That's the kicker right there. They sure can.

However, the Cards wont part with Oscar Tavares, a piece they would instantly demand. A pitcher or two STL would. The Rangers wont deal Profar either.

The Rays would likely get desperate come next year where there would be over a year of control, I expect them to test the waters this winter, probably wont deal him, but next summer he will be the big fish.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Pat,

I seem to remember getting lambasted for thinking that Price wouldn't get dealt until around the deadline next year, when the Cubs could include the player selected #2 in the draft this year.

Vogelbach & Appel as the centerpieces of a deal next summer?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pat,

I seem to remember getting lambasted for thinking that Price wouldn't get dealt until around the deadline next year, when the Cubs could include the player selected #2 in the draft this year.

Almora or Baez would have to be included. Also, talk about an over reaction to Castro on this thread. Im pretty sure someone just said a guy who has never played 1 day of major league ball is better then Castro. Talk to me at the end of the year. He has been bad against lefties and and if his career track record says anything. He is going to get very hot with them. He is also batting over .290 with RISP and is a .292 careers hitter with RISP. He has also walked more at this point this year then he did last year. He will never be a .400 OBP guy. The way some of you guys are talking you act like he has no value which is just silly.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Pat,

Haha nah, I just lambasted you for saying Shields was the 'present' over Price last year...

If the cubs get their hands on Appel, I wouldnt throw him in a deal. I'd keep and extend Garza, while having Appel take a Chris Sale route. Bullpen in September this year and next year, starter in 2015. At that time I would see what we have, Garza, Shark (they better fuckin' extend both) Appel, Wood (I'd offer him a deal to avoid arb if he's solid through the end of this year) and likely EJax. Pierce Johnson in AAA ready to replace Ejax (if EJax is on the team at that point as a starter--if Lincecum is a 20 million dollar bullpen guy, I dont doubt Jackson, if he struggles would be.) If I must, and Tampa's hands are tied, forcing Price going to FA--I'd be a player.

I still would like to see a decent offensive catcher drafted this year...I brought up Almora teammate Martinez, and Andy Knapp (who I expect to be Ryan Doumit 2.0--switch hitting catcher who has to pick up OF spot because hes not a defensive catcher.) If I were to reach for one 2nd round at 41 instead of Puk--John Denney. I like that kid. Fantastic bat and great defense. Built like a catcher like Michael Phelps is to swimming.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i doubt the cubs go after david price if its going to cost them one of their top 3 ( almora,baez, or soler ) to get him..

i could see castro involved with another prospect or two from the system..

my guess is, going after david price will depend on if they extend garza or not.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I think David Price should be on the radar, especially if Kris Bryant is the pick at #2, and Matt Garza seemingly playing himself to get dealt. Though I'd try and keep Baez. Castro can go in the Price deal.

Fair enough. That is your opinion.

My point is I could have a potentially really good looking player at 3B for 6 years before he becomes a free agent with definite power potential in Gyorko, a very good defensive player at SS with base stealing skills in Cabrera versus a suspect defensive shortstop who is a .285 career average player with very little power and very limited patience to draw walks at the plate.

I don't know what Baez's ceiling is, he is young I know, he still has to adjust all the way up the ladder, and his SO's are a little concerning to me considering that he has 58 SO's to just 9 BB's in A-ball where as Soler has 30 SO's to 20 BB's to use as an example.

If I knew I was one free agent signing away from having an infield of Gyorko, Cabrera, Cano, Rizzo, and Castillo, I'd take it in a heart beat.

If they could net a little more in the trade.....Hey!, I'm fine with that too.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
i doubt the cubs go after david price if its going to cost them one of their top 3 ( almora,baez, or soler ) to get him..

That is just plain dumb then.

Odds are even if you dealt all three for Price, you will end up ahead with Price a huge majority of the time.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

i could see castro involved with another prospect or two from the system..

my guess is, going after david price will depend on if they extend garza or not.

One thing you have to remember chibearz, Price is going to cost a ton in the farm system because that's the way Tampa rolls. If they had to give up that many prospects to land Garza, what's it going to take to get Price?

My immediate guess would be 2 of the 3 in Almora, Soler, and Baez, plus someone like Pierce Johnson, and a James Russell kicker. That's what is going to have to be on the table for Tampa to even discuss a trade.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing you have to remember chibearz, Price is going to cost a ton in the farm system because that's the way Tampa rolls. If they had to give up that many prospects to land Garza, what's it going to take to get Price?

My immediate guess would be 2 of the 3 in Almora, Soler, and Baez, plus someone like Pierce Johnson, and a James Russell kicker. That's what is going to have to be on the table for Tampa to even discuss a trade.

That probably still isn't enough, you'd have to kick in a Brett Jackson type more then likely with another low class spec or two

chibears55

Liked Posts:
if their looking for 3 or 4 of those guys they can keep price, much rather extend garza and keep all those kids

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs want to win, they will keep Starlin Castro and give Matt Garza a new contract.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs want to win, they will keep Starlin Castro and give Matt Garza a new contract.

Yeah, what would be ideal is extending Garza, I think that is the cornerstone for upper management to show that we're moving forward and trying to really improve instead of staying at phase 1.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

They currently have both players now.

If the Cubs want to win, they wouldn't have launched two seasons down the shitter and instead signed one or two legitimate ML proven free agents each year to improve the team.

We don't need to wait for, Neverland Ranch in the Dominican, to produce first either. Although the hard-ons are straining at the thought.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Yeah, what would be ideal is extending Garza, I think that is the cornerstone for upper management to show that we're moving forward and trying to really improve instead of staying at phase 1.

Sarcastic or serious?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Castro's BA is now under .260 and has been dropped to the #7 spot.

His OPS is 14th out of 19 qualified SS and pops out weakly on the first pitch to kill a rally as I type this.

Not to mention his lazy play in the field in the first inning.

And only 6 more years of escalating salary for obviously declining play.

Awesome.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Lololololololololololol I bet the same people bashing Starlin Castro are the same people that were in love with him before. They're probably the same people that said Charles Tillman was done five years ago and the same people that said Jeff Samardzija wouldn't do anything.

Castro was an all star in 2011 and 2012 and now he isn't worth a roster spot because of one bad month compared to the rest of his career? Not to mention he has had the most hits in MLB since 2010 and didn't even play a full season until 2011. His fielding isn't nearly as bad as "fans" and the media make it out to be. Stop listening to the media, they're just out there to try and make stories out of nothing.

Should we say that Castro is better than Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols because of his numbers TWO months into the season.

"Realists......"

Reactions: X