Should the Cubs deal Castro?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
It is more than just two months.

His play all of last year declined as well.

The only reason he was an All Star last year was because the team sucked so bad and Tulo was hurt.

To blindly assume he will go back to being a .300 hitter and say there is nothing to be concerned about is just plain ignorant.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

The only reason he was an All Star last year was because the team sucked so bad and Tulo was hurt.

To blindly assume he will go back to being a .300 hitter and say there is nothing to be concerned about is just plain ignorant.

History would suggest that the thought of someone "peaking" at 21 years old is ignorant, too.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That's the kicker right there. They sure can.

However, the Cards wont part with Oscar Tavares, a piece they would instantly demand. A pitcher or two STL would. The Rangers wont deal Profar either.

The Rays would likely get desperate come next year where there would be over a year of control, I expect them to test the waters this winter, probably wont deal him, but next summer he will be the big fish.

The Cardinals don't need Price. They have Adam Wainright locked up as an ACE already, Shelby Miller, Lance Lynn, Jaime Garcia, and Trevor Rosenthal who will probably be a starter. They also have depth with Wacha, Kelly, and Gast for the future, and I have not even mentioned a free agent yet that they will pick up if the mutual option for Jake Westbrook is not exercised.

Oscar Taveras will take Beltran's place if they decide to not bring him back, and the Cardinals will be able to buy a pitcher or player if they need one. They are in the catbirds seat.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Lololololololololololol I bet the same people bashing Starlin Castro are the same people that were in love with him before. They're probably the same people that said Charles Tillman was done five years ago and the same people that said Jeff Samardzija wouldn't do anything.

Castro was an all star in 2011 and 2012 and now he isn't worth a roster spot because of one bad month compared to the rest of his career? Not to mention he has had the most hits in MLB since 2010 and didn't even play a full season until 2011. His fielding isn't nearly as bad as "fans" and the media make it out to be. Stop listening to the media, they're just out there to try and make stories out of nothing.

Should we say that Castro is better than Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols because of his numbers TWO months into the season.

"Realists......"

Their comes a time when people have to realize what he is and not live in the past. I don't care what he did two or three years ago. Pitchers have adjusted and he hasn't.

It would be one thing if his HR total blossomed greatly but his batting average dipped, or his BB totals improved immensely but his K's took a big hit. None of that is happening though.

My point on this is and it still stands that the Cubs could get a better deal moving forward if he were a trade piece then if the Cubs just keep on working with him hoping he regains his old form. My concern is for the Cubs in the long run, as I have nothing against Starlin Castro.

It is like Cubs fans that held Corey Patterson close to their hearts for too long. Trade them while they are young and while you can net something of value in return.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The league didnt adjust to him. He changed his whole approach at the plate. He did this last year when the Cubs wanted him to become a power hitter in the middle of the order. Then they flip flopped him all over. This year, he just hasnt done well in the 2 hole. Its not that he is swinging at bad balls constantly. He is just missing everything. He has missed some very hittable balls. I dont worry about that because his eye hand coordination should turn that around. Its just the Cubs need to put him around 6th and let him sit there and try to drive in runs instead of trying to set the table for other players. Castro has been good his entire career with RISP. It would only make sense to put him in a position to do that more often. He is slumping bad. There is some things to worry about, but there are also a lot of over reacting going on.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:

All of last year? That isn't true. He had three good months, two average months, and one bad month.

Why can't I assume he will go back to being a .300 hitter? Wasn't his career average almost .300 before this season? Why can't we go by what he has done for most of his career rather than TWO months into this season?

Hey, he had a good September in 2012 so that should cancel out the rest of his 2012 season, right? Did you put him back on top after his 2012 September month? Did you say he was one of the best shortstops in baseball because of his last month of the 2012 season?

Dude GTFO you are a Royals fan. Just stop.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The league didnt adjust to him. He changed his whole approach at the plate. He did this last year when the Cubs wanted him to become a power hitter in the middle of the order. Then they flip flopped him all over. This year, he just hasnt done well in the 2 hole. Its not that he is swinging at bad balls constantly. He is just missing everything. He has missed some very hittable balls. I dont worry about that because his eye hand coordination should turn that around. Its just the Cubs need to put him around 6th and let him sit there and try to drive in runs instead of trying to set the table for other players. Castro has been good his entire career with RISP. It would only make sense to put him in a position to do that more often. He is slumping bad. There is some things to worry about, but there are also a lot of over reacting going on.

It's that part of why this whole thread was started.

Silence, we will have to agree to disagree. I say the Cubs are better moving forward by trading him, and you say they will be better by keeping him.

Cool! No biggie.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Their comes a time when people have to realize what he is and not live in the past. I don't care what he did two or three years ago. Pitchers have adjusted and he hasn't.

It would be one thing if his HR total blossomed greatly but his batting average dipped, or his BB totals improved immensely but his K's took a big hit. None of that is happening though.

My point on this is and it still stands that the Cubs could get a better deal moving forward if he were a trade piece then if the Cubs just keep on working with him hoping he regains his old form. My concern is for the Cubs in the long run, as I have nothing against Starlin Castro.

It is like Cubs fans that held Corey Patterson close to their hearts for too long. Trade them while they are young and while you can net something of value in return.

"What he is." So Starlin Castro will just be a .250 hitter for the rest of his career? Yeah, lets just cancel out the fact that his career average was almost .300 before this season and that he has led all players in hits since 2010 and he played a month less than most players that season.

Hey man, Corey Patterson was an MVP candidate in 2003 before he tore his ACL. That ACL injury ruined his career as well as Dusty Baker.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then we agree to disagree. I say the Cubs are better moving forward by trading him, and you say they will be better by keeping him.

Cool! No biggie.

Civil discourse. I thought that was impossible.

Reactions: X

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Oh man Mike Trout went 1-4 last night. I guess he will be a .250 hitter for the rest of his career. Looks like the Angels are going to put him on the trading block. Forget what he did last season. He is what he is, right?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Hey, he had a good September in 2012 so that should cancel out the rest of his 2012 season, right? Did you put him back on top after his 2012 September month? Did you say he was one of the best shortstops in baseball because of his last month of the 2012 season?

I have never said he was one of the best shortstops in baseball.

I have always thought he was overrated because he plays for the Cubs and is on a very, very bad team.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Oh man Mike Trout went 1-4 last night. I guess he will be a .250 hitter for the rest of his career. Looks like the Angels are going to put him on the trading block. Forget what he did last season. He is what he is, right?

Yeah cause one game is the same as 1/3 of the season.

Idiot. Just dumb.

Last time I looked Trout is still hitting close to .300 with an OPS over .900.

That is what he is.

Not a .250ish singles hitter like Castro has been this season.

Insanely dumb comparison.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I have never said he was one of the best shortstops in baseball.

I have always thought he was overrated because he plays for the Cubs and is on a very, very bad team.

Since you go by what he does every month you must have thought he was the best shortstop in baseball because of what he did in April and September of 2012 because you think he is a .250 hitter because of his two months in 2013.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
"What he is." So Starlin Castro will just be a .250 hitter for the rest of his career? Yeah, lets just cancel out the fact that his career average was almost .300 before this season and that he has led all players in hits since 2010 and he played a month less than most players that season.

Who is cancelling out anything? I am merely stating that the Cubs could trade him and get something of value in return. It is no different for me to think that he will be a .280 career hitter with 12-15 HR's then it is you to think that he will again be a .300 hitter with 20 HR potential.

Step back for a minute and be unbiased about Castro. Look at his numbers over the last 4 years, and if you were another team, what would you give up to get him if he is a valued commodity, and what could the Cubs gain in return at another position?

Hey man, Corey Patterson was an MVP candidate in 2003 before he tore his ACL. That ACL injury ruined his career as well as Dusty Baker.
And how many careers is Dusty Baker ruining in Cincinnati? How many did he ruin in San Fran?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Yeah cause one game is the same as 1/3 of the season.

Idiot. Just dumb.

Last time I looked Trout is still hitting close to .300 with an OPS over .900.

That is what he is.

Not a .250ish singles hitter like Castro has been this season.

Insanely dumb comparison.

If you can compare TWO months to three seasons then I can compare one game to two months. Starlin Castro is what he is because of his .250 average this season, forgetting what he did before. I am going to forget all of Mike Trouts numbers from the last two months because of what he did last night. He is what he is.

We aren't living in the past of Trout's .300 average. He is a .250 hitter and nothing is going to change. You just have to deal with it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
If you can compare TWO months to three seasons then I can compare one game to two months. Starlin Castro is what he is because of his .250 average this season, forgetting what he did before. I am going to forget all of Mike Trouts numbers from the last two months because of what he did last night. He is what he is.

We aren't living in the past of Trout's .300 average. He is a .250 hitter and nothing is going to change. You just have to deal with it.

You are a clown.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
And how many careers is Dusty Baker ruining in Cincinnati? How many did he ruin in San Fran?

Mark Leiter, Livan Hernandez, Wilson Alverez, Russ Ortiz, Kirk Rueter, Shawn Estes & Mark Gardner. I left Jason Schmidt of the list cause he at least got paid well. He also didn't help Edinson Volquez' arm in Cincinatti. Those are the pitchers.