Should the Cubs deal Castro?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Bryce Harper clown or Joe Pesci from Goodfellas clown?

I'm just going by your theory.

More like Shakes the Clown.

And you aren't going by my theory at all.

You are going by an idiotic drastic over-reaction theory that a six year would use throwing a temper tantrum.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you can compare TWO months to three seasons then I can compare one game to two months. Starlin Castro is what he is because of his .250 average this season, forgetting what he did before. I am going to forget all of Mike Trouts numbers from the last two months because of what he did last night. He is what he is.

We aren't living in the past of Trout's .300 average. He is a .250 hitter and nothing is going to change. You just have to deal with it.

little drastic

kchicub08

Liked Posts:
I believe this thread was just an idea.

Some of you act like we are thinking of trading Miguel Cabrera.

I like Starlin but if I look objectively, he is just average.

He stands out because the team is poor.

Logic seems to be a concept that gets lost here.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
A lot of qualifiers in that statement.

Actually only two....

Realistic and informed.

Sadly that still eliminates many people.

Most people here are only interested in hearing that Castro is a top 5 SS, Rizzo is an elite 1B and Theo is the best GM ever. None of those are realistic or informed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the Cubs could get a better deal moving forward if he were a trade piece then if the Cubs just keep on working with him hoping he regains his old form. My concern is for the Cubs in the long run, as I have nothing against Starlin Castro.

so,your saying the cubs should give up on him and trade him cause you think he declining to another team who dont think he declining for good prospects,,

i see... :thinking:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I know Hendry got chastised for not taking calls on Darwin Barney and Sean Marshall a couple of years ago, so I would chastise Theo for not taking whatever calls come in for Castro.

Now taking calls and making a deal out of haste are two completely different things.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Now taking calls and making a deal out of haste are two completely different things.

im sure he would take calls on castro, but your not going to jump on deals now when he struggling because your not going to get the best offers most of the time.

they most likely wont move castro until they A, have a better definate replacement or B. get a knock out offer they cant refuse

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
so,your saying the cubs should give up on him and trade him cause you think he declining to another team who dont think he declining for good prospects,,

i see... :thinking:

No! I am saying that it is in my opinion that they should trade him while he still has value whether his numbers are declining or not. I sure as heck wouldn't want him to duplicate this performance anytime soon. If it goes on to another year without drastic improvement, the Cubs will be losing big tome on his contract.

Others are the ones that are ranking him high and all I am simply asking is that if they think he is that great, what would they give to the Cubs to get him? That's all.

If you were the GM of the Cardinals for instance, would you give up Shelby Miller or Oscar Taveres as part of any deal?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If it goes on to another year without drastic improvement, the Cubs will be losing big tome on his contract.

thats why you dont trade him now, cause you dont know where he going yet..
you say if he goes another yr w/o improving, i say what if he gets back to being the .300+ hitter again ?

teams will try to low ball a deal on a guy struggling, hoping they get the team to bite cause of the what IFs..
they wont get a fair offer for him now, their best bet if they really want to move him is wait til the off season..

Willrust

Liked Posts:
If you were the GM of the Cardinals for instance, would you give up Shelby Miller or Oscar Taveres as part of any deal?

Like with Castro, it depends upon the deal. If Tavares can be traded for a player that upgrades another position without causing a deficit at Tavares' position then of coarse you make the deal. This is the reason people started talking about a trade of Tavares for Profar. The Cardinals can put Kolten Wong at 2B, Profar at SS and move Carpenter or Allen to OF with Matt Adams at 1B.

patg006

Liked Posts:
thats why you dont trade him now, cause you dont know where he going yet..
you say if he goes another yr w/o improving, i say what if he gets back to being the .300+ hitter again ?

teams will try to low ball a deal on a guy struggling, hoping they get the team to bite cause of the what IFs..
they wont get a fair offer for him now, their best bet if they really want to move him is wait til the off season..

Castro has a ways to go before hes a .300 hitter again.

It starts with his approach at the plate, which has been stated and overstated--hes not readjusting to the league adjusting to him.

Hes aggressive, and while its not always bad--good pitchers can handle aggressive batters. They're doing it right now to him. Thats why hes batting 7th in the line up. Thats why his average is down to .250 or something like that. If you want to spin something positively--sure, you can have this. Castro just took a walk against the angels.

And bullshit teams try to "lowball" struggling players. David Price as Willrust has nicely pointed out to me several times is hurt and not doing too hot to start 2013--a team would try to low ball the Rays would hear the sound of a click from the other line. That is something fantasy baseball players do, not real GMs--Real GMs know just because there is a coldstreak does not mean a player will come cheaper.

Liked Posts:
Yes but not for pennies on the dollar.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Cubs should trade everyone. They all suck.