Should the Cubs deal Castro?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
And it also reverts back to the plate discipline area which he lacks severely. He is a contact hitter. Granted, he does not strike out a lot, but he doesn't walk a lot either. That in itself will always prohibit him from being a power hitter because he is impatient.

Top 10 players in terms of least walks in MLB
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/walks/qualified/true/order/false

That list includes JP Arencibia, Matt Dominguez, Wilin Rosario, Will Middlebrooks, Adam Jones, Domonic Brown & Carlos Gomez. All of whom have at least 8 HR. That list also includes Alfonso Soriano.

If someone actually worked with Castro and requested him to take more walks, I have no doubt that he would do it. Would it be at a pace close to Joey Votto, No! However, it is highly likely that he has consistently been told to go to the plate and hit.

He is being thrown more fastballs and is either losing bat speed or having vision issues given his propensity to hit the ball the other way. So, he either needs contacts or needs to move his hands down to get through the zone quicker. Either way, he needs to start pulling the ball more.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can see why you are a Cub fan.

Still love ya tho

Yeah, you're my boy - even when you make absolutely no sense at all.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That list includes JP Arencibia, Matt Dominguez, Wilin Rosario, Will Middlebrooks, Adam Jones, Domonic Brown & Carlos Gomez. All of whom have at least 8 HR. That list also includes Alfonso Soriano.

Quite a few power hitters on the list, not contact hitters trying to become a power threat like people want.

If someone actually worked with Castro and requested him to take more walks, I have no doubt that he would do it. Would it be at a pace close to Joey Votto, No! However, it is highly likely that he has consistently been told to go to the plate and hit.

I will bet my bottom dollar that he has been told to work the count and get walks or get better pitches to increase the chances of getting on base. Theo likes OBP guys.

He is being thrown more fastballs and is either losing bat speed or having vision issues given his propensity to hit the ball the other way. So, he either needs contacts or needs to move his hands down to get through the zone quicker. Either way, he needs to start pulling the ball more.

Or maybe the rest of the league has found his flaws and he hasn't, and/or can't adjust.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
castro is 23 YO and just signed an 8 yr extension, their not going to trade him this off season..

will he become a 20+ HR hitter ? only time will tell if he develops some power as he gets older and his body matures..

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
If someone actually worked with Castro and requested him to take more walks, I have no doubt that he would do it.

More walks as in up to maybe 50 walks a season? That is possible, but he has never walked more than 36 times in a season as a professional. There is very little chance he suddenly becomes a patient hitter and walks 70+ times in a season at this point.

You are either a hacker or you aren't. Castro is a hacker and usually that doesn't change at this point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Castro VS LH: .214/.267/.271
VS RH: .287/.309/.408

RISP:

.304/.328/.411 17 RBI's .

Rizzo .175/.242/.351 19 RBI's
Sori: .255/.309/.529 19 RBI
Schierholtz: .306/.333/.472 12 RBI
Valbuena: .280/.472/.520 12 RBI
Castillo: .182/.250/.212 5 RBI's

I'm thinking he needs to drop to #6 and bump up Valbuena.

Also against LH's he has done nothing at all.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
IMO -- we're just now to the point of the season where we can start gauging hitters. Pitchers are essentially always ahead of hitters out of spring training. Of course there are outliers, but as a general rule, offenses warm up w/ the weather. Over the last week or so, the Cubs have faired well against lefty's. prior to that? not so much. Neither is the norm, it's somewhere in the middle, but I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over any offensive #s to this point in the season. :shrug:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Castro VS LH: .214/.267/.271
VS RH: .287/.309/.408

RISP:

.304/.328/.411 17 RBI's .

Rizzo .175/.242/.351 19 RBI's
Sori: .255/.309/.529 19 RBI
Schierholtz: .306/.333/.472 12 RBI
Valbuena: .280/.472/.520 12 RBI
Castillo: .182/.250/.212 5 RBI's

I'm thinking he needs to drop to #6 and bump up Valbuena.

Also against LH's he has done nothing at all.

Do you think his hitting vs. LHP has anything to do with his teammates also playing awful vs. the lefties?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Do you think his hitting vs. LHP has anything to do with his teammates also playing awful vs. the lefties?

No I believe this is on him.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
castro is 23 YO and just signed an 8 yr extension, their not going to trade him this off season..

will he become a 20+ HR hitter ? only time will tell if he develops some power as he gets older and his body matures..

Most males are completely done growing by the age of nineteen, the majority by the age of eighteen.

At the age of 23, I highly doubt that it's his body that needs to mature.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Heck at this point I would probably take JJ Hardy over Castro right now.

His average sucks, but he plays superior defense and hits the ball out of the park.

Castro right now ranks 14th among MLB SS in OPS.

That sucks and is not a bargain for what the remainder of his contract is.

He took a step back last year and is taking a major step back this year. He is barely hitting .260 at this point, it is ridiculous not to be concerned right now.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Heck at this point I would probably take JJ Hardy over Castro right now.

His average sucks, but he plays superior defense and hits the ball out of the park.

Castro right now ranks 14th among MLB SS in OPS.

That sucks and is not a bargain for what the remainder of his contract is.

He took a step back last year and is taking a major step back this year. He is barely hitting .260 at this point, it is ridiculous not to be concerned right now.

I wouldn't mind dumping Castro for some prospects at the third base position.

Finding a replacement for Castro via the free agent market would not be a very difficult task at all.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I mean really.....

Most teams are going to look at what he used to do and not what he's doing now. Right ?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind dumping Castro for some prospects at the third base position.

Finding a replacement for Castro via the free agent market would not be a very difficult task at all.

Hell, I would trade Starlin Castro, Javier Baez, and Josh Vitters for Jedd Gyorko and Everth Cabrera of San Diego in a New York minute.

And they could have Barney too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hell, I would trade Starlin Castro, Javier Baez, and Josh Vitters for Jedd Gyorko and Everth Cabrera of San Diego in a New York minute.

And they could have Barney too.

That would be a bad trade. Baez is a top 20 prospect and Castro a 2 time all star. Those 2 together could be a part of getting Price.

I like Gyorko and Cabrera but they are not that quality.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That would be a bad trade. Baez is a top 20 prospect and Castro a 2 time all star. Those 2 together could be a part of getting Price.

I'd have to get Cory Luebke also in return. Then that trade starts balancing out.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Agreed. I think David Price should be on the radar, especially if Kris Bryant is the pick at #2, and Matt Garza seemingly playing himself to get dealt. Though I'd try and keep Baez. Castro can go in the Price deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I think David Price should be on the radar, especially if Kris Bryant is the pick at #2, and Matt Garza seemingly playing himself to get dealt. Though I'd try and keep Baez. Castro can go in the Price deal.

I do not see Bryant being the #2 pick. If he passes on either Grey or Appel he will get flame thrown by some crazy Cubs fan.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
We need to at least start worrying about Castro. He pretty much blows right now and that sucks dick. FIX HIM!