Skille & Hawks agree to 1-year deal

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:
I love how criticizing a player makes people wonder how you can be a fan of the franchise.

How about this? Skille was drafted in 2005 and in 5 years has done absolutely NOTHING to help this team win games. Isn't that reason enough to hate him, especially considering his draft slot?

I'll be happy to do a 180 if this guy proves me wrong this year. My feelings toward various players change with each passing game, as they should. My feelings toward the FRANCHISE never do.

GoBucky

Liked Posts:
[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]

You really want reasons? Ok, I have a partial season ticket package for the Badgers. After Skille was drafted, i saw him play many times up in Madison over the next 2 years. I tried hard to like him. But each time i left the arena, i was always asking myself how any scout could think this guy is first round material. And i haven't seen anything from him since to cause me to change my mind. Similarly, I still don't think Huet is Vezina material.

But you make a good point and i can see how somebody sensitive could be a a little offended by a little satire or dry humor about one of our beloved Blackhawks. I agree, enough is enough.

So let's get the love train started. First stop, The Rock.

Huet---EA-Sports-AHL-11-sma.jpg
[/quote]

I go to a lot of Badger games as well, and I must agree here. Other than the triple OT goal against Cornell, he really didn't show me a whole lot up there. Now, this doesn't mean that he can't step up his game. He's still young, will be surrounded by leaders who know how to win, and is finally being given a real shot. He could be a huge part of this team.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First of all I don't think I have read any post that says they hate Jack.

Second, isn't it ironic that those that are most critical of him are those

who have watched him in college and in Rockford?

Maybe a number of us will be proven wrong but until that happens some

of us are not that excited about him playing in the show for our team.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]First of all I don't think I have read any post that says they hate Jack.

of us are not that excited about him playing in the show for our team.[/quote]

But WE dont know him...............................

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]First of all I don't think I have read any post that says they hate Jack.

Some feedback please from those that have watched Skille more than the handful for the Hawks.

Any time I've seen Skille play for the Hawks or Hogs it has been at right wing. Reasonable people will agree that his playing time will be some what limited with Hossa and Kane on the right side. So that leaves the 3rd and/or 4th line which requires a different role than Skille had in Rockford.

Can he adjust to that role? Is he an consistent back checker? Defensively positionally sound or positionally stupid? Does he leave his point man open when it's his respnsibilty? Is he Ladd-like by not taking a shift off?

Really? I've seen him in Rockford a bunch of times. I've also seen him in Prospect Camp, and while playing his few games with the Hawks.

For a 600k 4th liner I have absolutely no problem with him. I'm even more impressed he took a pay cut to stay and have a chance.

So I'm not sure how "ironic" it is. Now if he was making 2 mil per year I might have a problem, but he isn't. He's basically playing for the league minimum. Oh boy there's something to bitch about alright.

"our" team is a lose term apparently.

[quote name="Larmer83"]

Some feedback please from those that have watched Skille more than the handful for the Hawks.

Any time I've seen Skille play for the Hawks or Hogs it has been at right wing. Reasonable people will agree that his playing time will be some what limited with Hossa and Kane on the right side. So that leaves the 3rd and/or 4th line which requires a different role than Skille had in Rockford.

Can he adjust to that role? Is he an consistent back checker? Defensively positionally sound or positionally stupid? Does he leave his point man open when it's his respnsibilty? Is he Ladd-like by not taking a shift off?[/quote]

Throw this to Whaler because it 100% explaines why he's not been able to crack the line up the last two seasons. It's called depth.

[quote name="R K"]

Throw this to Whaler because it 100% explaines why he's not been able to crack the line up the last two seasons. It's called depth.[/quote]

...and salary issues.

[quote name="TJD"]

...and salary issues.[/quote]

Remember him driving back and forth from Rockford so that they could afford him. If not for the depth and Salary issues, he'd have already had his chance to prove his play.

Will be prove the negative folks right? Or the positive Folks? So far neither are really correct because he hasn't had his shot.

Now he takes a serious pay cut to prove he can make it and no one say one word about that. While they watch Niemi fight over what he might or might not be due. Yea right.

[quote name="R K"]

Remember him driving back and forth from Rockford so that they could afford him. If not for the depth and Salary issues, he'd have already had his chance to prove his play.

Will be prove the negative folks right? Or the positive Folks? So far neither are really correct because he hasn't had his shot.

Now he takes a serious pay cut to prove he can make it and no one say one word about that. While they watch Niemi fight over what he might or might not be due. Yea right.[/quote]

Doesn't the pay cut though in essence help his own cause as if he has a decent year, he would be available to become a UFA after the 2010-2011 season?

If he has a good year wouldn't he be able to then sign with someone else for more money and leave the Hawks in the dust?

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Now he takes a serious pay cut to prove he can make it and no one say one word about that. While they watch Niemi fight over what he might or might not be due. Yea right.[/quote]

Are you arguing with your self?

I, along with several others, have said that he has not done anything impressionable to

make us excited to see him full time for the team. Does that mean I would not like to see him succeed? No, just stating that he has not shown anything to make me jump

for joy for his call up. Nothing else needs to be said other then time will tell.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="TJD"]

Doesn't the pay cut though in essence help his own cause as if he has a decent year, he would be available to become a UFA after the 2010-2011 season?[/quote]

He'll be RFA. Not enough age or games to become UFA.

[quote name="roshinaya"]

He'll be RFA. Not enough age or games to become UFA.[/quote]

Some reason I thought he was a year or two older.

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

Are you arguing with your self?

I, along with several others, have said that he has not done anything impressionable to

make us excited to see him full time for the team. Does that mean I would not like to see him succeed? No, just stating that he has not shown anything to make me jump

for joy for his call up. Nothing else needs to be said other then time will tell.[/quote]

No, was just pointing out that some people, who've seen him quite a bit, aren't sold he'll suck.

As for jumping for joy, We won the Stanley Cup and I was there to see it live. I jumped for joy.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Jimmy Howard was a 2nd round pick in 2003..and was a rookie this year...6 years later.

Good thing DET didnt write him off without seeing him in NHL action..

cue the "well goalies take longer to develop" cries....

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Datsyuk - drafted in 1998 - 1st season 4yrs later at 23yrs old

Zetteburg - drafted 1999 - 1st season 4yrs later at 22yrs old

Fippula - drafted in 2002 - 1st season 4yrs later at 22yrs old

Helm - drafted in 2005 - 1st season 4yrs later at 22yrs old

Abdelkader - drafted in 2005 -only 54 NHL gms so far .....

Things work out pretty good there in waiting 4+ years...hmmmmmm

[quote name="pmxc12873"]Datsyuk - drafted in 1998 - 1st season 4yrs later at 23yrs old

Zetteburg - drafted 1999 - 1st season 4yrs later at 22yrs old

Fippula - drafted in 2002 - 1st season 4yrs later at 22yrs old

Helm - drafted in 2005 - 1st season 4yrs later at 22yrs old

Abdelkader - drafted in 2005 -only 54 NHL gms so far .....

Things work out pretty good there in waiting 4+ years...hmmmmmm[/quote]

Hmm,

Zetterburg and Datysuk showed great potential. Fippula, Helm and Abdelkader aren't exactly great players.

[quote name="pmxc12873"]Jimmy Howard was a 2nd round pick in 2003..and was a rookie this year...6 years later.

Good thing DET didnt write him off without seeing him in NHL action..

cue the "well goalies take longer to develop" cries....[/quote]

Everyone knew Howard was doing great in the AHL and was coming into his potential. Most reports from Rockford fans have said Skille hasn't shown much growth skill wise and isn't making a huge impact.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Really? You should ask DET coaches and players what they thought of Datsyuk coming into the league...none were that impressed (Hull made comments, Asst. Coach Barry Smith as well didnt think he was going to be that good)

Whoever said that Skille was going to be a "great player"? I dont recall anyone saying he was going to be a 70-80pt guy here? He's making 600K and could be a 15goal scorer...teams need role players/foot soldiers - especially at 600K

[quote name="pmxc12873"]Really? You should ask DET coaches and players what they thought of Datsyuk coming into the league...none were that impressed (Hull made comments, Asst. Coach Barry Smith as well didnt think he was going to be that good)

Whoever said that Skille was going to be a "great player"? I dont recall anyone saying he was going to be a 70-80pt guy here? He's making 600K and could be a 15goal scorer...teams need role players/foot soldiers - especially at 600K[/quote]

Correct, but when you throw comparisons to guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg you're going to get the people who think you're mentioning Skille in the same potential bracket as them.