Skille & Hawks agree to 1-year deal

[quote name="roshinaya"]Had Skille not had a $1.2m caphit, or whatever it was, he would have for sure had gotten more games to his name than he has by this time. It was more due to the caphit and the immense depth of the team that stopped him from stepping in earlier. And by this paycut he has shown that he ready to commit to the Indianhead and contribute to the best of his ability. That alone should raise his stock among the fans.

And as mentioned, lets see what training camp brings before throwing the kid under the bus. It might come as a shock to some of you, but it's possible for players to improve over the summer. And something tells me this is just what Skille has done. But time will tell.[/quote]

In this age where many people say that's not done, it's actually refreshing to see a player actually prove that it really is. Definitely won some points from me. I've always like Skille as a person and wish him all the best. One has to think that by those guys traveling with the team during all the playoffs and Cup Finals, it has given them some extra added ambition to be part of something like that.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Skille has yet to get a fair shot in the NHL, It is ridiculous to throw him under the bus already. with a full season under his belt, I don't see why he couldn't replace either Ladd or Byfugliens numbers...especially with their ice time.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]...Versteeg has hands that rival Kane's...[/quote]

Wow...someone's been at the Kool-Aid fountain again I see...

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bierboy"]

Wow...someone's been at the Kool-Aid fountain again I see...[/quote]

If that Kool-Aid fountain pours pure genius then yes.

Really though, his hands are up there with Kane's. Please prove me wrong, bierboy.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chYWsZh-zjE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovus75MeYAk[/youtube]

Don't know how to get the links shortened, but look at all Versteeg's highlights there's many, and there's one thing they all have, even one showcases his great hands. If you couldn't see that in the two years he played for us then I don't know what to say.

well in all honesty PSR no one creates the Youtubes of him constantly dangling between 4 defenders and losing the puck. Least that I could find. I sure do remember seeing it over and over and over between the "youtube" highlight goals.

He does have good hands but often lacked the sense to go with them. If he had that he'd have had 15 more assists. :D

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]He'd need 34 more to mirror Kane[/quote]

Kane has better hands than Steeger...just wasn't showcased as much because he isn't a fucking puck hog. Versteeg was the Canadian Sergei Berezin. sure those videos highlight some sick dangles, but how many times did we suffer and watch him try that shit and get stripped of the puck?

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]well in all honesty PSR no one creates the Youtubes of him constantly dangling between 4 defenders and losing the puck. Least that I could find. I sure do remember seeing it over and over and over between the "youtube" highlight goals.

He does have good hands but often lacked the sense to go with them. If he had that he'd have had 15 more assists. :D[/quote]

Hey I'm not talking about hockey sense, scoring, all that, just hands. To say Versteeg doesn't have great hands doesn't make sense to me. Pmxc, this is NOT a numbers or better player argument.

[quote name="pmxc12873"]He'd need 34 more to mirror Kane[/quote]

In the course of a season that's a lot.

I agree with Rex at times Versteeg was a complete Puck Hog. With Buff it was why he appeared sometimes to show up and sometimes show up not so much. Versteeg, am I going to make the spectacular play, or am I going to go in, ignore my surroundings, and try to make the spectacular play anyway.....

I like both players but neither are complete just for those reasons.

[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]

Hey I'm not talking about hockey sense, scoring, all that, just hands. To say Versteeg doesn't have great hands doesn't make sense to me. Pmxc, this is NOT a numbers or better player argument.[/quote]

Yea, he's got good hands. I still wouldn't say Kane like though.

[quote name="R K"]

Yea, he's got good hands. I still wouldn't say Kane like though.[/quote]

Versteeg was a poor man's Kane. You could see a similarity in their styles, but Kane out skilled him and had much better vision and decision making.

Don't get me wrong Versteeg will be a top line player in Toronto and be a great 2nd liner on a good NHL. He'll be a good 60 point scorer, but he's not going to be a reason your team wins the Stanley Cup.

[quote name="TJD"]

Versteeg was a poor man's Kane. You could see a similarity in their styles, but Kane out skilled him and had much better vision and decision making.

Don't get me wrong Versteeg will be a top line player in Toronto and be a great 2nd liner on a good NHL. He'll be a good 60 point scorer, but he's not going to be a reason your team wins the Stanley Cup.[/quote]

we'll see. He may be more of a product due to playing on a good team than you think.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
[quote name="TJD"]

Don't get me wrong Versteeg will be a top line player in Toronto and be a great 2nd liner on a good NHL. He'll be a good 60 point scorer, but he's not going to be a reason your team wins the Stanley Cup.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head.

My main complaint with Steeg was his decision making. Call it being a Puck Hog or just trying to do too much but it was an annoying flaw in his game.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Rdrhwke"]

You hit the nail on the head.

My main complaint with Steeg was his decision making. Call it being a Puck Hog or just trying to do too much but it was an annoying flaw in his game.[/quote]

Bingo, he always seemed to be trying to showcase himself. I don't think he liked being second fiddle and felt that he could take much more on himself and be a bigger player/role than he was on this team. A change of venue could be just the thing for him. With him being expected to perform at a high level now, he may not try so hard to do everything when he gets the puck.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[quote name="TJD"]

Thats what I say. When I went to the training camp where Steeg was trying to make the team he showcased the fuck out of those hands, he also played his ass off. And at that point I wasn't sold cause it was training camp, but once I saw his hands translated very well to playing in the NHL I was. Sure he may have kept the puck a few to many times and turned it over, but shit, the guy could dangle anyone. He also turned into a trusted defensive forward and very good PK'er, he is still the only player I am somewhat mad about leaving.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
Last chance for no Skille here. Just an awful draft pick, and i'll be glad when he's wearing a Panther's jersey. Although they will have to replace the Panther on the front with a kitty kat.

-5Minutes

bierboy

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]...Yea, he's got good hands. I still wouldn't say Kane like though.[/quote]

Exactly my point.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]Last chance for no Skille here. Just an awful draft pick, and i'll be glad when he's wearing a Panther's jersey. Although they will have to replace the Panther on the front with a kitty kat.

-5Minutes[/quote]

haters-gonna-hate-eagle.jpg

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]Last chance for no Skille here. Just an awful draft pick, and i'll be glad when he's wearing a Panther's jersey. Although they will have to replace the Panther on the front with a kitty kat.

-5Minutes[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty harsh.