Smith to Ravens

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
For a guy that wasn’t in the long term plans I’ll take it. They never were signing him to big money.
Acting as his own agent will be a problem for Ravens and a new contract. otherwise they have to franchise him and hope. The 2 picks is a fair return, now they have to draft well.

Username

Liked Posts:
This SO reminds me of the 2004 season, except this time the D will be the worst of all time.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
We didn't have to commit yet. It's been half of one season. The staff could have had another 1.5 seasons to use him, evaluate him, and communicate his value. Then come to a decision of what they wanted to do. And if we couldny come to an agreement, then we could move on and get high comp pick.

1.5 more seasons? Then what? What if he got injured? Roquan’s contract demands were unreasonable. He doesn’t play a premium position. Shit or get off the pot. Poles isn’t going to wait around for a top 10ish off ball LB to realize his demands are dumb. They already made their evaluation. Pretty easy one to make IMO

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
I get that there's some business decisions related to Quinn and Roquan. However, as a fan, this is going to make this season hard to watch. Not because I'm in love with those players, but because the defense was one of the things that made the games competitive and watchable. However if we can stay competitive without those 2, then we know we have a pretty good coaching staff on hand. But, even then, I'm not sure coaching can do much with the dearth of talent we have now.

2023 and 2024 have to be pretty damn good for us to put up with the rest of this season. Otherwise, this season is just a kick in the nuts.
Quinn has had 1 good year on the Bears. Other than last year, he's been invisible. I was expecting a bit more from him this year but it hasn't materialized. And if you say they trades Mack, he has not playing a lot last year and Quinn put up great numbers. I was expected more than 1 sack.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Acting as his own agent will be a problem for Ravens and a new contract. otherwise they have to franchise him and hope. The 2 picks is a fair return, now they have to draft well.
I thought only the team that originally drafted the player has the ability to franchise them. No?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Cmon this is fucking horrible. Smith is 25 never hurt, all pro. We can’t even get one fucking 1st? Panthers can get 4 picks for mcaffrey who will be hurt in 4 games.
You can't compare the two trades at all:
  • the 49ers are in "Win Now" mode and the Bears are not and as the Rams showed, giving up picks now to potentially win a SB buys you several years of mediocrity. No reason the 49ers can't make a SB run this year.
  • C-Mac, when healthy, is a game changing player, Roquan is not. C-Mac just scored 3 TD's this weekend via passing, rushing and receiving...Tell me the last time Roquan had defensive impact like that in a game?
  • Panthers didn't get a 1st either, so why would the Bears?
Not to mention, there is no guarantee that Roquan even resigns with Baltimore. For all we know, this could be a similar situation to Ardolis Chapman in baseball in the 2016 season. Yankees trade him to the Cubs for a haul as he was the missing piece. Cubs win and the next season, Chapman resigns with the Yankees.

Just because 1 team overpays for someone, doesn't mean everyone else has to file suit...See Cleveland and Deshawn Watson...

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
He’s a LB (who isn’t an edge rusher) looking to make 20+ million a year. A team isn’t going to give up multiple higher round picks and then have to pay him what he is demanding.

Exactly. I think expectations about his trade value were unrealistic.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
2nd and a 5th is pretty solid return. Sends a pretty bad message to the team though - they are mailing it in
I am sure others are excited to step up and take over that role for the year to make the new GM consider them in the future. It hurts the locker room, but this team is built on try hard guys. They expected this.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Oh well, our D won't get a single stop defensive stop the rest of the year but that's ok.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Devante got a 1st and a 2nd. It was already explained. WR is a much more coveted position than LB

That "great" LB did nothing to stop 40 being hung on the defense yesterday
In fairness, if Adams was trading the year prior right before the trade deadline, he would have garnered a bigger return.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
1.5 more seasons? Then what? What if he got injured? Roquan’s contract demands were unreasonable. He doesn’t play a premium position. Shit or get off the pot. Poles isn’t going to wait around for a top 10ish off ball LB to realize his demands are dumb. They already made their evaluation. Pretty easy one to make IMO
Contrary to what it may sound like listening to social media, we the fans actually don't know the exact contract demands.

Roquan is our captain, leading tackler, and soul of our defense. Plus, I'm fine with overpaying him by a few mil. We know he is a good player for us. When you sign a free agent or draft players there is always the risk that they may not transfer well. It's not a given or anything close to it.

When you have a good player and plenty of cap space and a QB on his rookie contract deal, what is the point of trying to save a few mil?

Has anyone looked at the free agent and draft class at LB?...not great to me.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Cmon this is fucking horrible. Smith is 25 never hurt, all pro. We can’t even get one fucking 1st? Panthers can get 4 picks for mcaffrey who will be hurt in 4 games.
It mostly had to do with him being in the final year of his contract. Can't wait to use all these picks to rebuild the defense next year.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Devante got a 1st and a 2nd. It was already explained. WR is a much more coveted position than LB

That "great" LB did nothing to stop 40 being hung on the defense yesterday
Meh, and Adams didn't do much to help the raiders score against the saints yesterday either.