Smith to Ravens

napo55

Liked Posts:
So, 125 million between all those holes, it doesn’t add up to very good players. And picks, like 20% or less really turn out to be good for the Bears.
Most posters here don't seem to understand the uncertainty of the draft. They seem to assume that all the draft choices will succeed. So when you trade a good player for a draft choice, you are already going against the odds.
I also don't understand the love for Poles. He's done a good job of deconstructing the team and there is zero evidence that he knows how to construct one.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
1. He has played mostly well to me. It's only been 8 games. You are right. That's why its better to keep him risk free the next 1.5 seasons imo.

2. I argue He is more important as a leader. He has made a few impact plays as well. Its tough though considering the supporting cast. There really isn't much help at LB or the DLine. Our run defense hasn't been great and it takes a step down without him.

3. A comp pick could give them a 3rd. Which when you add 1.5 more years of production isn't far from Ravens late round pick.

Ultimately I'll get over it. But just don't see the need for this move right now. We aren't accumulating picks for a QB. We don't need money to pay for a QB. And I don't think the FA market looks that great at the moment that we can use the extra money elsewhere.
1. We really only had half a season. After the hold-in, no guarantee he signs the franchise tag. Quite possible he walks as a FA. Top pick you get then is a third.

2. He's great leader, but if he walks as a FA, does he still lead?

3. We need to fix a lot of positions. O-Line, WR. We also don't know what some of the depth looks like - Sanborn, etc.

Since the hold-in, I had doubts Roquon was going to stay, and a franchise tag was probably a bad idea. A 2nd and a 5th is a good return.

DreamTheater

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, he‘s new to this. And suddenly he will become an ace doing it? Because that‘s what it will take a turn out of above 80% to pull this thing in two years.
Bold is a statistic made up on the spot.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Wishful thinking is part of being a sports fan. None of us have our livelihood dependent on the Bears winning.
Faith and wishful thinking does not exist. It’s not logical, it’s just a wish fans have. The chance of it happening it’s very slim. There a bigger chance it will take at least 4 years.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Aww how sweet....

I'm shocked honestly.

Not surprised but Poles is really betting on himself as a draft picker with these moves.

The team won't be a playoff contender for at least 2 to 3 years if they're lucky with these moves.
Thank you!

You’re correct, if they’re lucky with this moves. Most likely they won’t.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Contrary to what it may sound like listening to social media, we the fans actually don't know the exact contract demands.

Roquan is our captain, leading tackler, and soul of our defense. Plus, I'm fine with overpaying him by a few mil. We know he is a good player for us. When you sign a free agent or draft players there is always the risk that they may not transfer well. It's not a given or anything close to it.

When you have a good player and plenty of cap space and a QB on his rookie contract deal, what is the point of trying to save a few mil?

Has anyone looked at the free agent and draft class at LB?...not great to me.

Roquan admitted he was seeking to be the highest paid at his position. So yes, fans are privy that he wants a market setting deal.

He’s a very good player but there’s way too many games that you barely notice him out there. Wish him all the best but very happy with the trade

msadows

Liked Posts:
maybe leverage those two 2nds for another first ?? draft day alot of desperate things can happen especially if your guy does or doesn't falls into your lap. we'll see but he played subpar after his mentor was shipped off we need team minded players.

Honestly am hoping poles flips one of those 2nds for a proven WR either now or in the offseason.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but that‘s just wishful Thinking. It never has for this franchise. And there are too many pieces needed.
Undoubtedly.
Over the past 20 years give or take, this team has been super bowl worthy defensively for many of those seasons. The offense was a couple key pieces away, and regime after regime failed to hit, even with cap room and picks and free agency.

Call me a pessimist, but building from scratch aint gonna be easy no matter how much draft capital and cap space they have.
even hitting all pros at key positions in the first 2 rounds for the next couple years will still leave a ton of holes to be filled with finite players available.

Hopefully Poles hits more often than misses, and by 25 we have a solid team to build on for the next decade.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. We really only had half a season. After the hold-in, no guarantee he signs the franchise tag. Quite possible he walks as a FA. Top pick you get then is a third.

2. He's great leader, but if he walks as a FA, does he still lead?

3. We need to fix a lot of positions. O-Line, WR. We also don't know what some of the depth looks like - Sanborn, etc.

Since the hold-in, I had doubts Roquon was going to stay, and a franchise tag was probably a bad idea. A 2nd and a 5th is a good return.
Yeah.

I'm not crazy about this. It creates another hole, and we are likely not going to be able to fill it with anyone on the same level anytime soon. Too many other more important things to address.

But at the same time, the writing was on the wall. Might as well maximize the return on a player who doesn't see eye to eye with the organization about his contract value, during a season that we aren't going to do shit anyways.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This may have been said already cause I'm late to the thread, but those people are idiots. The Ravens have Roquan for 9 games. Then he's a free agent. They could pay him $20mil guaranteed for the next year, but essentially they just gave a 2nd and 5th for 9 games of an an off ball LB.

Yes, guess they are idiots. That is why the Ravens never manage to be good, oh wait . . .

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Monty nets very little in return. James Robinson was just traded to the Jets for a conditional 6th. You're looking at late round flyers for him.

Every player Bears fans like is worth at least 1 1st more than their real value, so expect a 1st + conditional 6th.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Cool. Now we got rid of all good defensive players except for potentially the rookies. Congratulations. I don't get it.
well the Bears fo might have made an offer they aren't willing to increase and Quan said no. if that is the case then this is a terrific return on someone who was not going to be here much longer anyways

shoez90

Liked Posts:
If Roquan were to hit the FA market he would be one of the top 5 free agents. We have plenty of money to spend the next few seasons, not plenty of great defensive leaders. We aren't going to be able to easily fill the hole. Say we use the 2nd rd pick to draft a LB that maybe could fill the gap Roquan is leaving...we will have to pay him along with every other draft pick in 4 years.

The point Im trying to get at is that it is OK to overpay a guy like Roquan while Justin is on his rookie deal. Pay him upfront the next two years when there is plenty of cap space. You have a good young player and there is no need to trade him in hopes you can maybe find another like him.

If we are getting rud if him I want a deal that incorporates two high draft picks. (1st through 3rd rd). It's not like the Ravens are picking at the bottom of the draft. That way we have two solid shots to find a player as good as Roquan, regardless of position.
that's speculation at best and he doesn't want second player money. Hell we may have dodged a huge bullet he held out TWICE and disappeared way to much. Baltimore will pay him but even they won't make him highest paid to me. Butkus Taylor and Lewis only LB you never trade imo.