So Pace rebuilt the offensive line

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No. He's simply kicked the can down the road for years and it shows.

No depth. OL gets injured.
It was unrealistic expectations going into the season thinking Pace could address QB and OL and fix both with limited cap. What he did is address the most important position and possibly the second most position. Those are excellent building blocks. Is the OL perfect? No and it probably never will be. There's always going to be a weak link somewhere, but I'm more optimistic about the OL than I have been in a long time.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It was unrealistic expectations going into the season thinking Pace could address QB and OL and fix both with limited cap. What he did is address the most important position and possibly the second most position. Those are excellent building blocks. Is the OL perfect? No and it probably never will be. There's always going to be a weak link somewhere, but I'm more optimistic about the OL than I have been in a long time.

Every team has a weak link on their OL.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just want players to play positions that they're best at. Im so tired of seeing them play musical chairs just to get the 5 best players out there when they're so underwhelming playing out of position.

Be prepared, they're going to do this to Jenkins

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying I expected to fix both this year. The problem has been incompetence for years. He merely has a serviceable OL on paper and guys have A LOT to prove. Chicago fans are so used to incompetence that they think a line that has no push and doesn't get the QB killed is a "good oline."

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Sounds like he added 1 rookie who’s a complete unknown, 1 other guy who sucks and oft injured but will stick around because of status as 2nd round pick, and a bunch of other guys who will be selling Christmas Trees when the season ends.

Does inviting warm corpses for Mini Camp indicate a rebuilt offensive line?

We’ll be going on what, year 9 or 10 under Pace without a single 1st round OL pick, or any star OL picked up from free agency. You get what you pay for.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like he added 1 rookie who’s a complete unknown, 1 other guy who sucks and oft injured but will stick around because of status as 2nd round pick, and a bunch of other guys who will be selling Christmas Trees when the season ends.

We’ll be going on what, year 9 or 10 under Pace without a single 1st round OL pick, or any star OL picked up from free agency. You get what you pay for.
Yep.

This group is merely "okay" on paper. Some of them will fail to be competent. And there's not much depth.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

Everything you just said is wrong congrats you know nothing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am happy that they finally realized it was an issue and invested.

The rebuild is not over. We don’t know if any of these guys are going to be a difference maker.

We need to continue to invest and focus on the OL

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Chiefs, Patriots, Packers, Colts, Browns
You just named teams with good starting OLs.

Chiefs depth hasn't played together yet. They literally lost the SB because they didn't have good enough OL depth. Probably the deepest OL in the league now because it killed them 3 months ago.

Patriots are the opposite and lost their depth in free agency. Their backups are Ted Karras and some no-name 6th and 7th rounders

Packers depth is because they just spent 3 draft picks on OL. They could have depth, but not proven yet.

Colts depth is Julie'n Davenport and Sam Tevi, both of whom were very bad starting OTs, and 1 of them may start until Eric Fisher gets healthy

Browns signed Chris Hubbard and drafted James Hudson in the 4th. Solid, not spectacular depth assuming Hudson can play

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Chiefs, Patriots, Packers, Colts, Browns
Patriots have a very good 5 man where is the depth ? Chiefs have a good 5 man I'm pretty sure we all know what happened when they reached into their "depth" packers don't even have a good 5 man unit their depth is a center who has only played the center position.. sooo much depth there... Colts very good top 5 but you're betting on Eric Fisher to go back to his former self and that team also has no depth.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I am happy that they finally realized it was an issue and invested.

The rebuild is not over. We don’t know if any of these guys are going to be a difference maker.

We need to continue to invest and focus on the OL
I think the formula if we find our 5 starters is 1 linemen per draft a tackle is still something I'd look for in 2022 guard the year after unless you find a gem later rounds..

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To be fair to Ryan Pace, the Bears have actually drafted a lineman in all but 1 of his 7 drafts, and 10 total. Four of those years he drafted OL in the first 3 rounds. The one draft he didn't draft any OL, he only had 5 picks (none in the first 2 rounds), and managed to add Alex Bars and Sam Mustipher as UDFAs.

So, I don't think you can say Pace has ignored OL. I think the biggest issues have been depth and evaluating OL. Re-signing Massie was a bad idea. He probably stayed with Leno, Long, and Massie for too long and didn't do enough to challenge them for spots. He didn't do enough to get Whitehair at his best position. And keeping Coward on the roster for multiple seasons is indefensiveable.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Show me more than 3 teams with a good oline with "depth" lmfao so fucking stupid it's unreal you can only suit up 8 players on the offensive line during GameDay.
Good post but you still don't need to curse and be angry about it.