So Pace rebuilt the offensive line

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Yeah, they needed to do /something/ to try and improve the o-line. I'd feel better if we had a LT and Jenkins could be RT. I think he could be a pro-bowl caliber RT. At LT, He may be an upgrade. I expect certainly by year 2. Probably we'll see strides all year long.
Nobody really knows how Jenkins will work out...

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I know we all want to think this problem ua solved but the reality is:

Zero of 12 lineman on the roster have started a NFL game at LT

The guy penciled in at LT is a rookie who was pegged by most everybody as a RT (maybe guard)

We have one of 12 lineman who looked ok at center....and he's a 2nd year udfa...the backups to him have proven to be better as guards and a disaster as centers

I think we'll be fine but there are definitely some big question marks on the oline.

In 2017 Trubisky was pegged by most everybody as the best QB in the class so really who gives a shit what "most everybody" says.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying I expected to fix both this year. The problem has been incompetence for years. He merely has a serviceable OL on paper and guys have A LOT to prove. Chicago fans are so used to incompetence that they think a line that has no push and doesn't get the QB killed is a "good oline."
Pace started in 2015 with a serviceable LT in Leno and Pro Bowl RG in Kyle Long. In free agency 2016, he went out and signed Massie, who initially exceeded expectations, and Josh Sitton at G. He re-signed both tackles to extensions which ultimately didn't work out. Long became a perennial injury problem. Sitton was a stop gap.

Also in 2016, he drafted Whitehair in the 2nd round. He drafted Daniels in the 2nd in 2018. He traded up in the 2nd for Jenkins in 2021 and also drafted Borom in the 5th. Through his tenure, he added other depth with late picks and UDFAs.

Fan perception is all Pace did was that last part.

Obviously there's criticism warranted but can we stop beating this dead horse in a year where Pace aggressively addressed the line and bolstered depth?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace started in 2015 with a serviceable LT in Leno and Pro Bowl RG in Kyle Long. In free agency 2016, he went out and signed Massie, who initially exceeded expectations, and Josh Sitton at G. He re-signed both tackles to extensions which ultimately didn't work out. Long became a perennial injury problem. Sitton was a stop gap.

Also in 2016, he drafted Whitehair in the 2nd round. He drafted Daniels in the 2nd in 2018. He traded up in the 2nd for Jenkins in 2021 and also drafted Borom in the 5th. Through his tenure, he added other depth with late picks and UDFAs.

Fan perception is all Pace did was that last part.

Obviously there's criticism warranted but can we stop beating this dead horse in a year where Pace aggressively addressed the line and bolstered depth?
We just need him to do it again next year.

Daniels could be another Leno test case. If he is good enough, then lets not re-sign him like we did Leno and Massie. Lets go looking or just good, with no qualifiers.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We just need him to do it again next year.

Daniels could be another Leno test case. If he is good enough, then lets not re-sign him like we did Leno and Massie. Lets go looking or just good, with no qualifiers.
I agree. It feels like Pace should be moving on from desperation mode where he has more holes than picks and spends too freely in FA.

I want to see him continue to invest early picks to strengthen our core. Another OL next year in round 2 or 3 would be key to get the development cycle going up front.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Yeah, they needed to do /something/ to try and improve the o-line. I'd feel better if we had a LT and Jenkins could be RT. I think he could be a pro-bowl caliber RT. At LT, He may be an upgrade. I expect certainly by year 2. Probably we'll see strides all year long.
I feel like your opinion is based on antiquated ideas of the OL. Sure, you want the blind side of the QB protected by a good pass blocker, but plenty of teams put their best rusher over the right. The difference between what makes a stud RT or LT all but disappears in those circumstances.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only Phil Emery got 7 drafts...Also, what was that OL in 05 and 06? Is this selective memory?
They are talking about drafting offensive linemen, far as that year goes, Bears only had one drafted player start those two years.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Well the depth got them to Super Bowl, try and keep up

The 3rd OL that got hurt, did so in the game before the Superbowl, in the 4th quarter too if I'm not mistaken. That was the move that ruined their depth, because they didn't have a backup capable of playing LT so they had to move guys to unnatural positions for the Superbowl.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They are talking about drafting offensive linemen, far as that year goes, Bears only had one drafted player start those two years.
The post im replying to said built, so my mistake.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Daniels is not a failed pick

Is he our center?
That was an oline heavy draft. Spending a 2nd on a center who can't play the position is a failed pick. That doesn't mean the player is a failure but the pick was.
The fact that they tried him at center shows he wasn't drafted to be a guard, that is where he is because he sucks at center.
Other centers from that draft taken in the 3rd and 4th are listed as centers in the NFL. Centers taken in that draft who are guards are 5th and 6th rounders, oh yeah, and our 2nd. That is a failed pick.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is he our center?
That was an oline heavy draft. Spending a 2nd on a center who can't play the position is a failed pick. That doesn't mean the player is a failure but the pick was.
The fact that they tried him at center shows he wasn't drafted to be a guard, that is where he is because he sucks at center.
Other centers from that draft taken in the 3rd and 4th are listed as centers in the NFL. Centers taken in that draft who are guards are 5th and 6th rounders, oh yeah, and our 2nd. That is a failed pick.

Meh. He started his career at Guard. So I dont get how he's a failed pick at center when he started there

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Meh. He started his career at Guard. So I dont get how he's a failed pick at center when he started there

You mean career in the NFL, because he was a starting center in college. That's probably the biggest twisted rationalization I've ever heard. How about all our career practice squad players, those must all be great picks because they start their careers on the PS not that they couldn't hang to make the team at the position they were drafted for.

Obviously Whitehair wasn't our anointed center. Daniels wasn't drafted to be a guard so our guard playing center could continue playing center since we're trying to get him out of the center position.
That is nothing bad about Daniels on oline. That is about Pace used a 2nd rounder to get a center but only got a guard. Meanwhile centers taken lower did stick as centers. The pick was wasted by Pace.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Chiefs lost the super bowl because they lost both of their starting tackles right before the SB and lost their starting LG in week 5 and STILL made the super bowl but go on and tell me about how they're not deep... and you know, the Bucs defense is pretty good.
Wait - they lost their starting tackles immediately before the Super Bowl and the replacements got beaten so badly, they got killed by Tampa.

And that counts as depth?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we could go 2/3 on the OL of guys stepping up and grabbing jobs, that would be a big win.

Borom/Ifedi
Daniels
Mustipher