CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You mean career in the NFL, because he was a starting center in college. That's probably the biggest twisted rationalization I've ever heard. How about all our career practice squad players, those must all be great picks because they start their careers on the PS not that they couldn't hang to make the team at the position they were drafted for.

Obviously Whitehair wasn't our anointed center. Daniels wasn't drafted to be a guard so our guard playing center could continue playing center since we're trying to get him out of the center position.
That is nothing bad about Daniels on oline. That is about Pace used a 2nd rounder to get a center but only got a guard. Meanwhile centers taken lower did stick as centers. The pick was wasted by Pace.

he was never going to be the starting center

With Cody Whitehair entrenched at center and Charles Leno Jr. and Bobby Massie handling both tackle spots, guard was considered one of the Bears' top priorities in the draft.
After Daniels fell to them in the second round, Pace confirmed that Daniels would begin his NFL career at guard, rather than displacing Whitehair at center.

dont know what youre talking about

jive

Liked Posts:
They are talking about drafting offensive linemen, far as that year goes, Bears only had one drafted player start those two years.
And that player was drafted prior to Angelo. Jerry just sucked at drafting offensive linemen. In his ten year tenure, his top "hits" were Terrence Metcalf and J'Marcus Webb.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
he was never going to be the starting center

With Cody Whitehair entrenched at center and Charles Leno Jr. and Bobby Massie handling both tackle spots, guard was considered one of the Bears' top priorities in the draft.
After Daniels fell to them in the second round, Pace confirmed that Daniels would begin his NFL career at guard, rather than displacing Whitehair at center.

dont know what youre talking about

So this is a time that we're supposed to believe what the GM/HC say? Is there some code or is it only based on what you want to believe?
Pace confirmed because very early it was looking like Daniels wasn't going to cut it as a center in the NFL. I thought I already covered that. The instant talk was that Daniels plays center, Whitehair goes back to guard. Why? Because it only makes sense.
If he was drafted to be a guard why did they try him at center? If they were happy with Whitehair as center why have they been trying to replace him?

We could've moved down and got Connor Williams, an actual guard, who fell further. We could've moved up a few spots and got Hernandez. Both players that played the position and both players that were on everyone's radar as guards, unlike Daniels who was projected as a center, which makes sense since that's what he was.
If for no other reason, drafting a player for the position they played in college means you have film on them.

Connor Williams abilities are guard and tackle. Surely you think that is a better value than guard and center. Especially considering Leno and Massie were here. Except that Whitehair wasn't that good at center either so we needed a center more than we needed tackles.

But you believe we picked someone projected to possibly be the best center in the draft with the intent of playing him out of position. Well, this is the Bears so I guess that's possible.

jive

Liked Posts:
Cody Whitehair wasn't bad at Center. He made the all rookie team and the pro bowl in 4 seasons at a position he never played in college. In any case, I think he'll be better at guard. I think it's more natural for him.

The issue with playing center are the line calls. I think that's one of the reasons why the line seemed to play better with Sam Mustipher towards the end of last season. It may be the reason why James Daniels is playing guard instead of center.

This is the defining year of whether Pace can build an offensive line. Out of the 5 positions, only one is solid with Cody Whitehair at guard. Sam Mustipher may have the center position by default, as there really isn't any competition. But, he'll need to build on last season as center is an important position. The other guard spot will be between James Daniels, Alex Bars, and Elijah Wilkinson. Germain Ifedi has the most experience, and he'll need to ward off Larry Borom at RT. I don't know who will challenge Teven Jenkins at LT, but it's quite an expectation for a rookie to play a position that he hardly played in college, and an important one at that. And regardless of who wins the competition, it ain't worth squat if they can't protect against the top pass rushers in the league and open up running lanes against the best front 7s.
If this all falls into place, Pace will have done something that hadn't been done in decades: build an effective offensive line through the draft. If not, it's the same old, same old.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Yep.

This group is merely "okay" on paper. Some of them will fail to be competent. And there's not much depth.
The last 5-6 games last year the line was playing above average. Since then we're getting back our highest rated lineman last year back from injury and we drafted I highly touted projected 1st round tackle and Borom. If Jenkins is half of what they say he is then we will have the luxury of having 6 starting level o-lineman with Bars being the sixth man. I'm not counting Borom.

Look at Montgomery's production during that time. He was killing it and that was with Leno's run blocking. We haven't been set like this in a loong time. My only concern is if Jenkins can't handle the left side or for whatever reason doesn't live up to the hype.

What is the point of bitching when the GM finally made the right investment. Should be excited about the line right now.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lions O-line is poised to be one of the best in the league. Decker-Jackson-Ragnow-Vaitai-Sewel .

Three first rounders, two have already been pro-bowlers, Sewel almost a lock to be one as well. Crosby makes for good depth.

Last edited:

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
We'll know when we see them actually play. I'm very optimistic but an awful lot of chickens being counted here when nothing hatched yet.
We only have one new addition to the line. They were playing well at the end of last year. There's only 1 question mark and that's Jenkins

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I feel like your opinion is based on antiquated ideas of the OL. Sure, you want the blind side of the QB protected by a good pass blocker, but plenty of teams put their best rusher over the right. The difference between what makes a stud RT or LT all but disappears in those circumstances.
This is true but it's still the QBs blindside (assuming right handed) so you cannot afford to have someone who is poor at pass blocking man the LT spot if you want your QB to last long. Also strong side of the formation is usually the right side and probably easier to help the RT with TE blocking and chips.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We just need him to do it again next year.

Daniels could be another Leno test case. If he is good enough, then lets not re-sign him like we did Leno and Massie. Lets go looking or just good, with no qualifiers.

Yes lets stop signing OL whose floor is terrible and whose ceiling is mediocre mediocre or slightly above average.

Unless Daniels is a stud this year, just move on and replace him with cheap and comparable talent. You can easily find OL of his talent level every year for cheap either via the draft or the 2nd wave of FA.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lions O-line is poised to be one of the best in the league. Decker-Jackson-Ragnow-Vaitai-Sewel .

Three first rounders, two have already been pro-bowlers, Sewel almost a lock to be one as well. Crosby makes for good depth.

No one gives a shit. This is the Bears message board and a thread about the Bears OL. Take your Lions commentary to the Lions board if such a thing exists.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

If true you have a car with a rock solid transmission, but an engine that has thrown a rod, spewing oil everywhere (ie your QB sux )
So who cares. Just a differnt kind of last place NFCN team.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

1621343424801.png

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This is true but it's still the QBs blindside (assuming right handed) so you cannot afford to have someone who is poor at pass blocking man the LT spot if you want your QB to last long. Also strong side of the formation is usually the right side and probably easier to help the RT with TE blocking and chips.
So as long as he is a good pass blocker, he should be fine on the blind side, right? I don't want to come across as snarky, but I don't see it as a bad choice to work Jenkins in as LT. If he can hold down that spot for 8 years (signing a 1-2 round pick to a second contract would make it a good pick, in my book) then it's a good choice!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one gives a shit. This is the Bears message board and a thread about the Bears OL. Take your Lions commentary to the Lions board if such a thing exists.
Let me say this and say it quite clearly so you understand.........

go fuck yourself.

Conversation had clearly gotten to the point discussing several other teams O-lines, or did you miss that part?

A little refresher for you:

Show me more than 3 teams with a good oline with "depth" lmfao so fucking stupid it's unreal you can only suit up 8 players on the offensive line during GameDay.

You guys are hilarious, you pick up a second round RT, plan to start him immediately at LT, and a fifth round pick you hope can start at Rt and think suddenly your O-line is worth a crap.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
We only have one new addition to the line. They were playing well at the end of last year. There's only 1 question mark and that's Jenkins
They played well in the soft 3 game stretch at the end of the schedule and then looked pedestrian against GB and NO. Huge question mark if Ifedi can be good enough at RT for 17 games as he busted out of the last team that tried him there. I'm sure he will be better than Coward was at the position, but "better than Coward" can't be the standard the team accepts if they want to win more games than they lose.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If true you have a car with a rock solid transmission, but an engine that has thrown a rod, spewing oil everywhere (ie your QB sux )
So who cares. Just a differnt kind of last place NFCN team.
I am taking Goff over Dalton any day of the week. Only time will tell what Fields is, but i think he was a good pick.