Social media Bears thread

napo55

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the running game will be good enough to take some of the pressure off Williams and the passing game?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the running game will be good enough to take some of the pressure off Williams and the passing game?
I think the running game is in a lot better shape than it was last year at this time. last year Swift made the pro bowl with over 1200 yards. We all know now that Herbert is better coming off the bench as the #2 back, and Johnson should push Herbert for that role.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I think the running game is in a lot better shape than it was last year at this time. last year Swift made the pro bowl with over 1200 yards. We all know now that Herbert is better coming off the bench as the #2 back, and Johnson should push Herbert for that role.
I still feel that we need a big back for the late yards. Maybe RoJo can grind them out.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
And we still get to add another draft with an extra day 2 pick. In a draft that is supposed to be loaded with DL talent, which happens to probably be our weakest spot right now. That's when it goes into overdrive (ala 2016 Cubs).
Don't the Bears need to dump Flus for ... Belichick? ... to follow the Cubs example?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If the offensive weapons can force light boxes, the running game should be ok.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting that TJ thinks Odunze is super fast. He said he’s surprised that he didn’t run 4.3 forty.

I love Rome, buy I don’t see crazy speed.
From all I'm hearing, Rome is strong enough that he plays at same speed in full pads. More subjectively based on tape of course (vs less competent DBs than he'll see in NFL. TJ def. man-crushing on Rome, which I'm not hating on at all!! 💪

I see no problem with bringing Ngakoue back. I can live with a combo of Ngakoue/Walker for the 2024 season on the other side of Sweat. Also have a DE in Booker with high upside.
I've low-key been hoping for this. Greg Gabriel is strongly reporting that Bears have been in constant contact with him, and are just waiting to confirm his full recovery before offering him a deal...less than the $10 mil he got last year FWIW. Great value if so. He knows the system & is the best plug n play option assuming that ankle is/will be good to go. At worst, an affordable stop-gap til next year's stacked pass rush draft 💪

Yeah Poles was going to trade up but Ian pulled him back and saved the day.... Seems like he's really trying to get his guy hired.
Serious Question: I heard somewhere that Ian Cunningham was extended for 2-3 years!??? I kinda doubt that being accurate, having not seen or heard anything since about this. Would love to hear one way or another RE this...!????

Having Blasingame has = a great run game these last few seasons...say what you will about Getsy's stubborn, Nagy-like inflexible arrogance, the run game has been really damn good (also, must consider Fields' rush stats offsetting that of course, although they really dialed that back in 2023). I'd love to keep the FB as a lead blocker, and worried the last few years what TH they'd do if he got hurt. That said, it's a new/different offense now, and word is that running the ball was NOT a priority in SEA, much to the shagrin of their fans & media comments about Waldron!???

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great interview.

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere, but interesting that he was working with Waldron to get basic route concepts and timing and the terminology to use when he works with Caleb ahead of him getting into the Bears building.

Along those lines, I found it really interesting to hear about the footwork. It sounded like Waldron is expected to be more flexible on that front and then figuring out the timing based on what is comfortable for Caleb. Specifically, it was mentioned that Geno Smith was a left foot forward guy and Caleb is a right foot forward guy. They have tried both with Caleb, but Caleb prefers right foot forward. They also mentioned that Russell Wilson was a right foot forward person, so Waldron has theoretically already shown he can work with either. I find that very encouraging after all the stuff with Getsy and Fields when it came to footwork.
I don't want this to be taken as more than it is. Getsy did that to try and get Justin to drop with better timing and crispness, not out of some rote concept of how it HAD to be done. He was trying to find a way to help JF with a needed improvement in those areas. Getsy wouldn't have dropped it after 4 games nor initiated that method after a full season if he was that much of a control freak. Fields wasn't happy with it and it wasn't working for him so they ditched it. That may also have been the beginning of the end for JF.

This is not a general defense of Getsy because he was not great at adjusting to his personnel or play sequencing but JF compounded that look.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I don't want this to be taken as more than it is. Getsy did that to try and get Justin to drop with better timing and crispness, not out of some rote concept of how it HAD to be done. He was trying to find a way to help JF with a needed improvement in those areas. Getsy wouldn't have dropped it after 4 games nor initiated that method after a full season if he was that much of a control freak. Fields wasn't happy with it and it wasn't working for him so they ditched it. That may also have been the beginning of the end for JF.

This is not a general defense of Getsy because he was not great at adjusting to his personnel or play sequencing but JF compounded that look.

I thought I remember reading that Getsy wanted the QB's to always be left foot forward as that is what they did in Green Bay. It was supposed to be a combination of always presenting the same look presnap and setting up the timing. I do understand that those are important things.

I guess I was just encouraged that it sounded like Waldron and Williams were already working through the details and finding what can work for all parties. So, it's more that there appeared to already be good trial and feedback going on which I don't remember happening in the past.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought I remember reading that Getsy wanted the QB's to always be left foot forward as that is what they did in Green Bay. It was supposed to be a combination of always presenting the same look presnap and setting up the timing. I do understand that those are important things.

I guess I was just encouraged that it sounded like Waldron and Williams were already working through the details and finding what can work for all parties. So, it's more that there appeared to already be good trial and feedback going on which I don't remember happening in the past.
Do you think Justin should have received got his playbook before his draft? Nagy sure couldn't give him that. Do you think he didn't speak to Getsy or have it early in year 2? Did Getsy try to make Justin do that drop at any point in his 1st full year (Justin's 2nd) or did it come up in year 3 to try and improve rhythm/timing?

It's the thing about Justin fans, they sometimes invert cause and effect. We all know Justin had some issues on timing routes. That's not unique with younger QBs but it wasn't improving enough. They initiated that drop in camp to try and help the timing. It made things worse as it seemed Justin had to think about the drop too much and they ditched it quickly (4 games). Justin said nah and Getsy said OK. That's not megalomaniac behavior by the OC. Getsy had his own issues and they seemed a poor match but both contributed and both are gone for a reason.

Last edited:

RuszBron1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Great interview.

I think it has been mentioned elsewhere, but interesting that he was working with Waldron to get basic route concepts and timing and the terminology to use when he works with Caleb ahead of him getting into the Bears building.

Along those lines, I found it really interesting to hear about the footwork. It sounded like Waldron is expected to be more flexible on that front and then figuring out the timing based on what is comfortable for Caleb. Specifically, it was mentioned that Geno Smith was a left foot forward guy and Caleb is a right foot forward guy. They have tried both with Caleb, but Caleb prefers right foot forward. They also mentioned that Russell Wilson was a right foot forward person, so Waldron has theoretically already shown he can work with either. I find that very encouraging after all the stuff with Getsy and Fields when it came to footwork.

Don't the OC supposed to adjust/adapt his concept and coaching to players strength's. Apparently Getsy wasn't capable of doing this, on the other hand Waldron is, from what I'm hearing. Agree, great interview..

Canth

Liked Posts:
You don't think Justin got his playbook before rookie camp? Nagy sure couldn't give him one before his draft. Did Getsy try to make Justin do that at any point in his 1st full year (Justin's 2nd) or did it come up in year 3 to try and improve rhythm/timing? It's the thing about Justin fans, they sometimes invert cause and effect. We all know Justin had some issues on timing routes. That's not unique with younger QBs but it wasn't improving enough. They initiated that drop in camp to try and help the timing. It made things worse as it seemed Justin had to think about the drop too much and they ditched it quickly. Justin said nah and Getsy said OK. That's not megalomaniac behavior by the OC. Getsy had his own issues and they seemed a poor match but both contributed and both are gone for a reason.

I guess I did not remember it being dropped that quickly. I thought I remembered it being talked about even in the 2023 preseason as a thing. Specifically, there was a screen pass to DJ Moore where they were talking about Fields' footwork, it being left foot forward and how that made it awkward for the quick screen pass to his left.

And, I am not trying to say that Fields (and others) never got a playbook early. I am sure they did. But, due to the Bears having #1 overall pick, they have gotten an even earlier jump. I can guarantee you that Fields never got the Bears playbook before the draft.

I just appreciated hearing the recent communication how Williams' personal QB coach, Williams, and Waldron were talking before he was even drafted and there seemed to be good feedback. Feel free to not read any more into than that.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Serious Question: I heard somewhere that Ian Cunningham was extended for 2-3 years!??? I kinda doubt that being accurate, having not seen or heard anything since about this. Would love to hear one way or another RE this...!????
He did get extended but don't remember them saying how long the deal was for.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Don't think any team is winning 14 games in the NFC North. As much as I hate to say it, I think the Packers are the best team in this division. I think they will go 12-5.