Soler Power: Cubs Minor League Thread v2

Which team/player excites you the most?

• Total voters

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's Samardzija-Volstad-Germano this series. Raley pitched on Sunday. Assuming they don't pitch him in Iowa he should be available for one of the games on Saturday. Wood would probably go on Friday, then Raley/Samardzija on Saturday. Volstad Sunday. Seems to work out.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters is a habitually slow starter after promotions so I'd advise everyone to be very patient.

I'm patient, but he kind of needs more playing time before we can freak out :lol:

I think the past few articles I've read suggest Vitters will see his playing time ramped up so we'll get a better idea what he can do after his initial acclimation phase.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that scenario plays out it means Wood will have to go on 3 days rest on Tuesday because Raley can't be called up until the 22nd if today counts as part of the 10 days down.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that scenario plays out it means Wood will have to go on 3 days rest on Tuesday because Raley can't be called up until the 22nd if today counts as part of the 10 days down.

The extra man has to be sent back down immediately, right? I'm not entirely sure how the rule works, just know an extra guy can be called up.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe they have a bullpen day on Tuesday. Or they call up Rusin. Who knows what they'll do!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The extra man has to be sent back down immediately, right? I'm not entirely sure how the rule works, just know an extra guy can be called up.
I believe so, but even if he didn't that wouldn't solve the issue Tuesday because Samardzija and Raley would each be on two days rest at that point. And even if Raley could come back on the 22nd he would be on 3 days rest as would Shark. They are going to need another SP.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since they're in a draft race...they could just throw Russell :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alternatively, that's probably what Seth McClung was signed for. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't try to start Samardzija on short rest ever, and they are unlikely to do the same with Wood. But at the same time, maybe they just let Wood go five and then send in the bullpen.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast/index.jsp?c_id=chc

They do have another off-day next Thursday to work around so maybe it won't be so bad.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was just trying to figure this out. I also doubt they would throw any of the young guys on short rest in the middle of this season. So I was just trying to figure out the whole Bowden call up scenario. Seems likely that we get another move after the Reds series.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really depends on whether the doubleheader call-up counts against the 10 days or not. Or they can make up some phantom injury to, say, Alberto Cabrera and get Raley back up afterwards. But the Tuesday thing could either be a bullpen day or they just call up McClung or Rusin or whatever I-Cub pitcher that doesn't completely suck. Coleman's apparently broken so can't use him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
When was Garza DL'ed? Maybe they'll just hope he can go on Tuesday :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really depends on whether the doubleheader call-up counts against the 10 days or not. Or they can make up some phantom injury to, say, Alberto Cabrera and get Raley back up afterwards. But the Tuesday thing could either be a bullpen day or they just call up McClung or Rusin or whatever I-Cub pitcher that doesn't completely suck. Coleman's apparently broken so can't use him.
I don't think it counts against the 10 days, but it doesn't matter since if they roll the rotation it means 3 days for 2 starters. They call someone up for Tuesday it pushed Wood back to Wednesday on normal rest and then Shark can go Friday after the day off with 5 days of rest, and Raley will be eligible at any point after that if it does count.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Raley is sent down today he'd be able to rejoin the team next Friday, at home against Colorado. If all you need is to survive past the off-day next Thursday I don't think they necessarily need to call anyone up, but starting Wood and Samardzija on three days' rest is definitely dicey. Maybe let Samardzija pitch the day game on Saturday to give him a few hours to recuperate? :shrug:

Otherwise I'm guessing McClung or Rusin get a call-up to spot start.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
BN didn't really say anything and didn't address who might be in line to pitch on Tuesday and Wednesday...

http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/...led-from-iowa-brooks-raley-sent-back-to-iowa/

I'm guessing Germano on Monday, then Wood on Tuesday on three days rest and Samardzija on Wednesday also on three days rest.

Nothing on the first page of Google says anything beyond the 26th man mention, i.e. whether the same guy has to be sent down or not. Guess I have to read through the CBA again :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, still can't find anything but I think it's common practice to send down the guy who spot-starts in one of the doubleheader games since he can't pitch for the next five days anyway.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Castillo was stretched out a little in the minors so perhaps he could be the start of a bullpen day Tuesday. Bowden might also be a possibility for a 3-4 inning start.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/12695/cubs-send-out-raley-but-only-for-a-few-days

Since the Cubs will need Raley again to start one of the games in Saturday’s day-night doubleheader at Cincinnati, he is expected to be recalled then. Starting this season, teams can have a 26-man roster for doubleheaders and Raley is expected to be that addition with a reliever expected to be sent back down before Sunday’s game.

This might be conjecture on the part of ESPN but I guess this might answer the question of whether Raley can stick around after his re-callup.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Candelario (Boise) is 3 for 3 and Almora (Mesa) has a triple today.