Sorry boys.. this defense is still nasty.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If we didn’t give up Fuller for nothing I’d feel damn good about the defense. But right now hopefully they’re serviceable in the secondary. Attachou could be a nice pass rush boost and hopefully Gipson developed after his rookie year.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Then again when the defense is NASTY this season he will certainly pretend like he never caped for Pagano and was just trolling, just like he has with Mitch now that Mitch is gone and a backup and will never see the field unless injuries in front of him, despite the fact he literally put CASH on Mitchell being LEAGUE MVP just a year ago lmfaooooo

Srs?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Posters really underestimate the loss of Goldman last year. The NT in a 3-4 scheme is the rock of your run defense. You can't successfully play a 3-4 without a real NT, and that is what we were trying to do last season by sliding Nichols inside after Goldman opted out.

Nichols slides inside on passing downs only, but he is not a natural NT, rather a DE. He played out of position all last year. Hence the Bears drafting Tonga this year, to provide a little depth for our 2 down NT position, because they know how much that hurt us last season.

You would think that Goldman is the key to the run defense, but that is not what I believe has happened. It is Hicks. With or without Goldman, when Hicks is playing healthy, the opposition cannot run. Without Hicks, teams run at will even if Goldman is playing.

The classic example was Hicks completely shutting down Dalvin Cook to like 5 yards in the first half last year when he had like 200 a game the last few. Then Hicks got hurt and Cook went wild in 4th quarter.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You would think that Goldman is the key to the run defense, but that is not what I believe has happened. It is Hicks. With or without Goldman, when Hicks is playing healthy, the opposition cannot run. Without Hicks, teams run at will even if Goldman is playing.

The classic example was Hicks completely shutting down Dalvin Cook to like 5 yards in the first half last year when he had like 200 a game the last few. Then Hicks got hurt and Cook went wild in 4th quarter.
Goldman tho. He is elite push. Grind. Hicks balls out next to that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If Goldman makes or breaks your D, your D is already broke.
He's as good as almost anyone in the NFL at his position, and when he was out last year the difference was noticeable. Why should we not expect a positive impact from his return?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's as good as almost anyone in the NFL at his position, and when he was out last year the difference was noticeable. Why should we not expect a positive impact from his return?
Literally not what i said.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No, no it's not.

They are soft and can't tackle. Zero pass rush + backup corners now = Nasty evidently.
I don't know that I would be this harsh, but I agree with the overall premise that this Bears defense is not the 2018, or even the 2019, defense.

This defense may be enough to beat bad teams without a good offensive output, but average-to-good teams will exploit that secondary and the lack of pass rush.

I also agree that it seems we've forgotten the Bears D's issue with tackling.

Add onto all that that Mack is being less effective and older each year, Fuller gone, E Jack still not his 2018 self, Trevathan looking like trash, etc. This has the potential to be the year the dam breaks.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My biggest concern about the defense is the aging pass rush.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Imagine if the D is elite again. What excuses will he use?
He'll just ignore the threads where he has said these things. Look at the 670 thread from yesterday: He makes a claim, and then when he is proven wrong, he moves on to other threads. He's like a bad house guest that moves from buddy to buddy and leaves the rooms a mess.

Basically, @msadows sucks hard.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, Goldman definitely good. But in prior years when Goldman played and Hicks out injured, run defense = swiss cheese.
Disagree. Hicks played 15 games last season. Goldman played 0. We had the worst average yards per run on defense than we have had in many seasons. Worse the previous season when the situation was reversed and Hicks was out.

Hicks plays both run and pass well and is an integral part of our defense. If I had to pick just one of them, I would select Hicks easily.

But if we are talking about the overall team impact on just the run game, your NT is the most important position. If that guy gets blown out of the hole on a double team and their guard leaves to attack your LB, that is where big plays start. If that NT eats up the double team, LBs flow to the ball and make plays.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disagree. Hicks played 15 games last season. Goldman played 0. We had the worst average yards per run on defense than we have had in many seasons. Worse the previous season when the situation was reversed and Hicks was out.

Hicks plays both run and pass well and is an integral part of our defense. If I had to pick just one of them, I would select Hicks easily.

But if we are talking about the overall team impact on just the run game, your NT is the most important position. If that guy gets blown out of the hole on a double team and their guard leaves to attack your LB, that is where big plays start. If that NT eats up the double team, LBs flow to the ball and make plays.

I understand your point about the 15 games, but he was basically playing hurt, on and off the field virtually every game. There were probably 10 times last year where to me it looked like he was done for the year, that is one tough person to keep off the field even when he can barely walk. A total warrior. I would be gladfully surprised if it wasn't more of the same this upcoming season.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
biggest issue is no depth and you know guys will miss games and there will be season ending injuries and then it gets ugly quick especially in secondary. fully healthy, yes we are a top 5 defense easy. lose 1 or 2 key guys and we could be below avg really quick. honestly i really was hoping we'd trade Mack and get more depth if possible and free up cap space to use on multiple guys. maybe we did try but there was no value there. or maybe we never even thought about it. idk but if this was New England and Belichek you KNOW they'd have traded away Mack by now, probably last year. got their few good prime seasons from him and now moving on diminishing returns gotta restock for future.