Sorry boys.. this defense is still nasty.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Bears have significant servicable years out of most of their defensive starters except Hicks and Trevathan, who are both 31.

Picking up a 2 down ILB and SS is child's play in the draft.

Replacing Hicks and then finding real pass rushers at EDGE (which Pace has had to try to accomplish in free agency) is where the rubber will meet the road.

Edge has been pretty weak the last few years in the draft outside of the top few picks in his defense though.

Retooling the defense is certainly doable over the next few drafts, and the Bears can be a little opportunistic about how they achieve this. Pace can get it done and he has shown enough proficiency with some offensive picks as well. If Fields is the right guy, this team can really go places in the future, because all resources get to be diverted to non QB positions for 4-5 years.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Also have people already forgotten the tough schedule the Bears face?

By my count they'll play six games against first ballot HOF QB's in Rodgers 2x (for now), Wilson, Big Ben, Brady and Lamar Jackson.

They also play an additional three games against young and promising QB's like Joe Borrow, Kyler Murray, and Baker Mayfield.

Plus two more games versus Stafford and Derek Carr.

The Bears defense better be nasty because against this schedule anything less will get shredded on a regular basis.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears have significant servicable years out of most of their defensive starters except Hicks and Trevathan, who are both 31.

Picking up a 2 down ILB and SS is child's play in the draft.

Replacing Hicks and then finding real pass rushers at EDGE (which Pace has had to try to accomplish in free agency) is where the rubber will meet the road.

Edge has been pretty weak the last few years in the draft outside of the top few picks in his defense though.

Retooling the defense is certainly doable over the next few drafts, and the Bears can be a little opportunistic about how they achieve this. Pace can get it done and he has shown enough proficiency with some offensive picks as well. If Fields is the right guy, this team can really go places in the future, because all resources get to be diverted to non QB positions for 4-5 years.

Yeah getting a 2nd ILB or SS is not really that big an issue. In addition to rookies, cheap vets are usually always available at those spots.

Whether the D is a success or not is dependent on these guys showing up (Mack, Jackson, Johnson, Quan, Hicks, Goldman, Edwards, Quinn, and Nichols) showing up and yes finding an Edge that can grow into the next Mack for us.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Your vortex is ignoring the comments on how his defenses and special teams fared ie top 20 and top 10 in the nation to worry only about the comment about his time as RBs coach. I only included it because it was in his bio. From his bio.

"In 2012, the Eagles led the NCAA in punt returns, averaging 21.7 yards per return. That season, Desai also coached Boston College running back Andre Williams, who went on to win the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back a year later."

Great so let's ignore the running back thing. His Special Teams was still No 1 in the nation in punt returns. In terms of his time as a D and Special Teams coach for Temple, his bio says the following.

In 2010, Desai was Temple's special teams coordinator/outside linebackers coach. At age 27, he was one of the youngest coordinators in the country. That season, Temple's special teams ranked second in the nation in kickoff coverage, allowing just 17.4 yards per return. The defense ranked 16th in the nation in both total defense (317.7 ypg) and scoring defense (19.1 ppg). Temple's defense also finished 15th in passing yards per game allowed (178.2 ypg) and their nine passing touchdowns allowed were tied for the second fewest in the FBS.

So why would you care to worry about the RB thing when there was so much more relevant examples of how his Special Teams and Defense fared? Again Temple is not a CFB powerhouse so helping them to a top 20 D is still a remarkable achievement.

If you are hiring a first time DC then what sort of experience would you want to see? I think the point here is he was able to take lesser talent and turn them into a top 20 D in CFB. That to me is more impressive that say taking Bama and making them a top D given they are almost always No 1 in recruiting.
LOL at " his defenses and special teams fared ie top 20 and top 10 in the nation." IGAF about his ST coaching and splitting time between ST and defense and having no real title (ie LB or DB coach)means he was not really involved at either a scheme or design level. Likely just a guy holding the dummies.

"If you are hiring a first time DC then what sort of experience would you want to see? I think the point here is he was able to take lesser talent and turn them into a top 20 D in CFB."

What is it that you know that he did? h didn't even have a position title at Temple, so you can not point to any example of him being "able to take lesser talent and turn them into a top 20 D."

The Doak Walker RB you tried to give him credit for won the award the season after he left after quadrupling his rushing yards and TD's the year after being under Desai.

The only position group he has ever been titled as coaching were the Bears safeties the last 2 seasons, where Eddie Jackson 3 years was All Pro, 2 years ago his game slipped but he still made the Pro Bowl, to last season where he was just an overpaid player going through the motions at the end of the season.

What would I like to see in a DC? Maybe just any evidence that he actually coached players and made them better, that he had a hand in a position group let alone being responsible for an entire defense and staff.

My original statement was that he has the least experience of actually coaching players of any current NFL DC, which is fact. No matter how you spin it that won't change. So unless you would like to show something proving otherwise, we are done here.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah getting a 2nd ILB or SS is not really that big an issue. In addition to rookies, cheap vets are usually always available at those spots.

Whether the D is a success or not is dependent on these guys showing up (Mack, Jackson, Johnson, Quan, Hicks, Goldman, Edwards, Quinn, and Nichols) showing up and yes finding an Edge that can grow into the next Mack for us.
We need to mid round draft those spots so we have a guy on a low rookie deal for 4 years. Then we do not have to cycle mediocre veterans in and out.

This is where having the 2nd fewest draft picks over the last 5 years has hurt us.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

By my count they'll play six games against first ballot HOF QB's in Rodgers 2x (for now), Wilson, Big Ben, Brady and Lamar Jackson.

They also play an additional three games against young and promising QB's like Joe Borrow, Kyler Murray, and Baker Mayfield.

The Bears defense better be nasty because against this schedule anything less will get shredded on a regular basis.
Lmao.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Big Ben! Oh no!
He's coming off a 33 TD 10 INT season with a loaded supporting cast on offense.

On paper this defense has a leaky secondary and a questionable pass rush. Sounds perfectly exploitable for good to elite QB's

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's coming off a 33 TD 10 INT season with a loaded supporting cast on offense.

On paper this defense has a leaky secondary and a questionable pass rush. Sounds perfectly exploitable for good to elite QB's

Sure.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL at " his defenses and special teams fared ie top 20 and top 10 in the nation." IGAF about his ST coaching and splitting time between ST and defense and having no real title (ie LB or DB coach)means he was not really involved at either a scheme or design level. Likely just a guy holding the dummies.

"If you are hiring a first time DC then what sort of experience would you want to see? I think the point here is he was able to take lesser talent and turn them into a top 20 D in CFB."

What is it that you know that he did? h didn't even have a position title at Temple, so you can not point to any example of him being "able to take lesser talent and turn them into a top 20 D."

The Doak Walker RB you tried to give him credit for won the award the season after he left after quadrupling his rushing yards and TD's the year after being under Desai.

The only position group he has ever been titled as coaching were the Bears safeties the last 2 seasons, where Eddie Jackson 3 years was All Pro, 2 years ago his game slipped but he still made the Pro Bowl, to last season where he was just an overpaid player going through the motions at the end of the season.

What would I like to see in a DC? Maybe just any evidence that he actually coached players and made them better, that he had a hand in a position group let alone being responsible for an entire defense and staff.

My original statement was that he has the least experience of actually coaching players of any current NFL DC, which is fact. No matter how you spin it that won't change. So unless you would like to show something proving otherwise, we are done here.

You are speaking on things you have no knowledge about and just making assumptions based on titles.

The Bears defense was at its best under Fangio back in 2018, which is why it was so crushing when Fangio left for the Broncos head coaching job. While Chicago’s defense was good under Pagano, it wasn’t great. But it has a chance to return to greatness under Desai, who former Bears linebacker Sam Acho said was Fangio’s right hand man for four years and helped build this defense.

In case you were not aware of Staley. I don't see much of a track record here either. He is a Fangio disciple that was a high riser because this may come as a shock but NFL people know more about a guys potential than fans. I will trust Acho on this one until proven otherwise as he is the only one who actually has experience with Desai. I will also trust the fact he has been good enough to stick with 3 regimes, Trestman, Fox, Nagy and Fangio wanted him to come with him to Denver.

This isn't the case of a guy being carried along by a coach that likes him. This is a guy that from his time at Temple has been able to get jobs in College and the NFL independent of a single coach, scheme or regime. He is not Bob Babbich being carried by Lovie.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

Lamar Jackson is a first ballot HOF?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

:jonesy:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The sky is falling everyone!

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Honestly if he continues to regress like last year idk if Lamar will be starting in 3 y
The sky is falling everyone!

You can joke about Jackson but my point remains that the Bears play a ton of good to elite QB's this season.

In some ways I expect a reversal of last years defense with Fuller gone and Goldman back. Unlike the 2020 defense this years unit will be really soft against the past but rock solid against the run.

A tougher schedule with no proven upgrades anywhere and it looks like a long season in Chicago.