Sorry boys.. this defense is still nasty.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
In the past three years the defense went from elite to above average. Its observably declining and will continue to do so more than likely.

They lost Fuller, Skrine, and RRH. Trevathan, Quinn, Hicks and Gipson all get a year older.

Getting Goldman back should help but other injuries will pop up. One of the big reasons the 2018 defense was so good was because of incredible health.

msadows

Liked Posts:
In the past three years the defense went from elite to above average. Its observably declining and will continue to do so more than likely.

They lost Fuller, Skrine, and RRH. Trevathan, Quinn, Hicks and Gipson all get a year older.

Getting Goldman back should help but other injuries will pop up. One of the big reasons the 2018 defense was so good was because of incredible health.

Agreed on that, but 2018 was also really good because they got pressure from their front 4 at an incredible rate.
They couldn't blitz either because they lacked the DB/LB play in the passing game to cover up for it. I still would have blitzed, tho.

2020 they had 137 pressures.....tied for 9th last.
2019, they had 157 pressures, 7th best in the nfl
2018, they had 184 pressures, 2nd best in the NFL.

This defense will live and die based on what robert quinn does this year. If he plays like last year it's gonne be average to above average, like you said. If he plays like two years ago they have a chance to be a top 10 defense.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Agreed on that, but 2018 was also really good because they got pressure from their front 4 at an incredible rate.
They couldn't blitz either because they lacked the DB/LB play in the passing game to cover up for it. I still would have blitzed, tho.

This defense will live and die based on what robert quinn does this year. If he plays like last year it's gonne be average to above average, like you said. If he plays like two years ago they have a chance to be a top 10 defense.
I think with the return of Jason Goff from taking the year off from opting out with covid, that the front four will be a lot more stout.

kg1187

Liked Posts:

I agree about Quinn as well. If he has resurgence the defense will be fine if not this unit is nothing special and might be bottom half.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So many of us will be disappointed to learn Pagano was an amazing DC, and no one could move the ball against his schemes... even if the lions, 2 head coaches, had 900 yds of offense last year against him

What position did Pagano play ?

kg1187

Liked Posts:
help me to understand why we would expect a resurgence from r. quinn?
He's one year removed from a 11.5 sack season and has 82.5 career sacks. Good edge rushers maintain a high level of play well into their 30's like Peppers, Ware, and Suggs. Plus he was playing with a bad foot last season if I am not mistaken.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Biggest concern is DC Sean Desai. Other than being some sort of defensive coach for football powerhouse Temple for 4 years in the mid 2000's, he has had nothing to do with actually coaching defense and has been little more than a pencil pusher and and film guy until 2019 when the Bears promoted him to, not even DB coach, but Safeties coach. Two season later he is the Bears DC.

Hope they catch lightening in the bottle with him but he went from a 30k-50k peon job to DC in 2 years all while coaching a position with the Bears where EJ went from PB'er to shit under his watch.

I doubt you will find a weaker resume for an NFL DC. His hiring was more about no qualified candidate wanting to jump on the Nagy shit train to torpedo their career path than Desai's acumen.

His position was basically that of a glorified PFF volunteer.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data.

Resume looks fine to me. He has had roles on Special Teams, Defense, and RBs and each time he has found success. Temple is by no means a top school but his defenses were top 20 in the nation. His special teams units were also top 10 in the Nation and the one year he coached RBs, BC's Andre Williams eventually won the Doak Walker award the following year.

He has been successful in the roles he has been given so I see no reason why he shouldn't be given this opportunity. Sure you can get an accomplished guy who already has time in the role but if you want to get a potential up and comer then Desai is as good as any candidate.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Imagine thinking losing Skrine and RRH will hurt the defense

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope you're right.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Imagine thinking losing Skrine and RRH will hurt the defense
And what about the loss of Fuller and a bunch of key defenders on the wrong side of 30?

The 2021 defense will need a Quinn revival and great health to threaten a top 10 unit.

If Quinn doesn't make a comeback plus a normal amount of injury attrition this defense might not even be top 20. Holes all over the place.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The defense needs to be retooled on the fly. Fields has made it so we aren't going to let the defense bottom out.

We need a young CB, SS, OLB, ILB asap.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The defense needs to be retooled on the fly. Fields has made it so we aren't going to let the defense bottom out.

We need a young CB, SS, OLB, ILB asap.
Retooled? I was told this team is stacked with youth and talent all over the roster.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Resume looks fine to me. He has had roles on Special Teams, Defense, and RBs and each time he has found success. Temple is by no means a top school but his defenses were top 20 in the nation. His special teams units were also top 10 in the Nation and the one year he coached RBs, BC's Andre Williams eventually won the Doak Walker award the following year.

He has been successful in the roles he has been given so I see no reason why he shouldn't be given this opportunity. Sure you can get an accomplished guy who already has time in the role but if you want to get a potential up and comer then Desai is as good as any candidate.

You are twisting so hard to make his resume adequate, that you created the above poorly written sentence to make it seem as though he won the award in proximity to Desai coaching him. In actuality, Williams was no better in the year under Desai than he was as afreshman or sophomore. He only blossomed after Desai left. He increased his rushing yards from 584 and 4 TD's to 2177 and 18 after Desai's departure.

His resume is so weak that you needed to vortex a guys improvement after Desai left, under a new RB coach, as somehow a residual effect of being coached by a guy that made him no better than his 2 previous years.

He may work out, but his experience as an actual coach is weaker than any other DC in the NFL. That is just fact. And if you think he was the first choice candidate, you are just fooling yourself. I would venture to say he wasn't even top 5, maybe top10, when they fired Pagano. And rightfully so.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
CB is a hole. SS, ILB can be filled cheaply. OLB has plenty of depth.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are twisting so hard to make his resume adequate, that you created the above poorly written sentence to make it seem as though he won the award in proximity to Desai coaching him. In actuality, Williams was no better in the year under Desai than he was as afreshman or sophomore. He only blossomed after Desai left. He increased his rushing yards from 584 and 4 TD's to 2177 and 18 after Desai's departure.

His resume is so weak that you needed to vortex a guys improvement after Desai left, under a new RB coach, as somehow a residual effect of being coached by a guy that made him no better than his 2 previous years.

He may work out, but his experience as an actual coach is weaker than any other DC in the NFL. That is just fact. And if you think he was the first choice candidate, you are just fooling yourself. I would venture to say he wasn't even top 5, maybe top10, when they fired Pagano. And rightfully so.

Your vortex is ignoring the comments on how his defenses and special teams fared ie top 20 and top 10 in the nation to worry only about the comment about his time as RBs coach. I only included it because it was in his bio. From his bio.

"In 2012, the Eagles led the NCAA in punt returns, averaging 21.7 yards per return. That season, Desai also coached Boston College running back Andre Williams, who went on to win the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back a year later."

Great so let's ignore the running back thing. His Special Teams was still No 1 in the nation in punt returns. In terms of his time as a D and Special Teams coach for Temple, his bio says the following.

In 2010, Desai was Temple's special teams coordinator/outside linebackers coach. At age 27, he was one of the youngest coordinators in the country. That season, Temple's special teams ranked second in the nation in kickoff coverage, allowing just 17.4 yards per return. The defense ranked 16th in the nation in both total defense (317.7 ypg) and scoring defense (19.1 ppg). Temple's defense also finished 15th in passing yards per game allowed (178.2 ypg) and their nine passing touchdowns allowed were tied for the second fewest in the FBS.

So why would you care to worry about the RB thing when there was so much more relevant examples of how his Special Teams and Defense fared? Again Temple is not a CFB powerhouse so helping them to a top 20 D is still a remarkable achievement.

If you are hiring a first time DC then what sort of experience would you want to see? I think the point here is he was able to take lesser talent and turn them into a top 20 D in CFB. That to me is more impressive that say taking Bama and making them a top D given they are almost always No 1 in recruiting.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Retooled? I was told this team is stacked with youth and talent all over the roster.
There is a bunch of talent on defense.
There are a bunch of long term pieces.
There is also about 50% of the defense that is getting old and needs to be replaced by cheaper dudes.

We need a cheaper ILB beside Roquan who is going to get paid
We need a cheap long term SS next to Jackson
We need a cheap replacement for Quinn.
We need a cheap replacement for Hicks [maybe Edwards] if Goldman and Nichols both get paid.

The only position we aren't over invested at is CB.