Starlin Castro Watch Thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
1 for 5 day for castro, he is now 7 for 24 .291 DB HR 2 RBI in last 5 Games

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
1 for 5 day for castro, he is now 7 for 24 .291 DB HR 2 RBI in last 5 Games

Starlin Castro is the only Cub in history to have not only threads posting his offensive numbers, but defensive as well. Seems to be cause for concern if you ask me. :popcorn:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Starlin Castro is the only Cub in history to have not only threads posting his offensive numbers, but defensive as well. Seems to be cause for concern if you ask me. :popcorn:

Cause for concern? I think its more that this is a big market team with nothing else to talk about.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
.233 BA with a sub .600 OPS and tied for most errors at his position.

What could there possibly be to be concerned about?

When he has an entire bad season and not just two months. His BABIP is .40 points lower then his lowest one ever. I didn't know players couldn't have down times. He seems to be waking up and the talent is still there. Ill take my chances of seeing where he goes instead of saying his BA every plate appearance. Just my opinon.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When he has an entire bad season and not just two months. His BABIP is .40 points lower then his lowest one ever. I didn't know players couldn't have down times. He seems to be waking up and the talent is still there. Ill take my chances of seeing where he goes instead of saying his BA every plate appearance. Just my opinon.

He's been sliding backwards for the last year and a half. Not sure how his BABIP falling back to closer to the league average is unforeseen. Free swinging hitters usually don't maintain BABIP's in the mid 340's.

But we better watch out because Castro is "waking up" and his average is at .233 with an OPS under .600.

MLB beware!

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Castro's numbers over the last year:

.252/.296/.380

But yeah, let's just act like this is only a 2013 issue.

His June, July, and August last season were pretty bleak as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's been sliding backwards for the last year and a half. Not sure how his BABIP falling back to closer to the league average is unforeseen. Free swinging hitters usually don't maintain BABIP's in the mid 340's.

But we better watch out because Castro is "waking up" and his average is at .233 with an OPS under .600.

MLB beware!

He slid back last year? Best defensive WAR of his career. BEst Range factor of his career and was well over league average for range factor. Highest WAR of his career. Career high in home run, stolen bases, RBI's. Batted .293 with RISP. He was horrendous last year. LEts trade him for a pack of bubble gum. Chicago fans at their finest.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

.252/.296/.380

He batted. 167 this June. Congrats. He had a horrible month. Who said otherwise?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

.252/.296/.380

He also batted over .300 the other three months. Your point.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He slid back last year? Best defensive WAR of his career. BEst Range factor of his career and was well over league average for range factor. Highest WAR of his career. Career high in home run, stolen bases, RBI's. Batted .293 with RISP. He was horrendous last year. LEts trade him for a pack of bubble gum. Chicago fans at their finest.
I never said he was horrendous last year. I said he slid back.His AVG, SLG, OBP all went backwards. His OPS+ also went backwards last year. Love the SB citation ignoring he lead the league in CS's and those increased HR's must have really helped his slugging %....oh wait.

He also fell off last year in stats like wRC, wRAA, wRC+, wOBP, and other value based offensive numbers. His defense improved last season but not enough to negate the back slide on offense.

Castro is a turd.

He batted. 167 this June. Congrats. He had a horrible month. Who said otherwise?

He also hit below league averages for 3 months in the middle of last year. People acting as though Castro just started having problems this year weren't paying attention last year when he had half of the season batting under .255 overall with decreasing power.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He also batted over .300 the other three months. Your point.
Good thing that canceled out the other three months. Oh wait, it didn't because he ended up batting .287.

My point is people playing the "wait and see" angle with Castro acting like this is some blip on the radar are being pretty naive. He had issues last year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good thing that canceled out the other three months. Oh wait, it didn't because he ended up batting .287.

My point is people playing the "wait and see" angle with Castro acting like this is some blip on the radar are being pretty naive. He had issues last year.

I didn't know players hit the same average every month? I didn't know they don't have peak and valleys. Castro is having issues with mechanics. You can blame that on your good old Cubs management that wanted him to change his swing and his approach. It takes time to adjust. He has a whole new swing this year. He has a whole new approach. Its an adjustment. Like I said, see where he is at the end of the year but for some reason people act like that is way to long. I also stick to people are all over him because this team is so bad there is nothing else to talk about.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't know players hit the same average every month? I didn't know they don't have peak and valleys. Castro is having issues with mechanics. You can blame that on your good old Cubs management that wanted him to change his swing and his approach. It takes time to adjust. He has a whole new swing this year. He has a whole new approach. Its an adjustment. Like I said, see where he is at the end of the year but for some reason people act like that is way to long. I also stick to people are all over him because this team is so bad there is nothing else to talk about.

Castro's "valley" was half the season. It's not as though he had a bad two week stretch. Stop being homerish about this.

New swing this year? What was his excuse for 80 games last season?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Based upon some of Sveum's recent comments, I'm not so sure these supposed "swing changes" have been welcomed as a good thing. I got the impression that they looked at the swing from a few years back and thought that the old swing was fundamentally better.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro's "valley" was half the season. It's not as though he had a bad two week stretch. Stop being homerish about this.

New swing this year? What was his excuse for 80 games last season?

He had a new swing last year as well. Also, half a season but you fail to talk about his other half or his .324 September. You are also one of those guys that probably said Ramirez was horrible until it didn't count. Homerish? LOL Coming from the biggest homer on here who think Theo is God and Hoyer is the prodigal child. Starlins "decline" was due to Cubs management changing his whole approach to hitting plus giving him new swings because they wanted to bat third on a horrible team because they had no other options. Castro needs to go back to see ball, hit ball. So, yet again, I ask you is waiting to the end of the season really to long. Im sure you will forget all about this by then. You seem to be what you did for me the last 5 minutes type of guy.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Based upon some of Sveum's recent comments, I'm not so sure these supposed "swing changes" have been welcomed as a good thing. I got the impression that they looked at the swing from a few years back and thought that the old swing was fundamentally better.

It was, he changed his swing twice in the past two year because the Cubs wanted more power because they told him they envisioned him as 3 hitter. He was told to get stronger and they changed his swing for him to drive the ball more. It hasn't been successful and this year the mechanics have gotten worse. His stance is completely different from 2011.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It was, he changed his swing twice in the past two year because the Cubs wanted more power because they told him they envisioned him as 3 hitter. He was told to get stronger and they changed his swing for him to drive the ball more. It hasn't been successful and this year the mechanics have gotten worse. His stance is completely different from 2011.
When did they tell him that? I think most people are aware that they wanted him to be more selective at the plate. Struggling with that alone can change a hitter's form for the worse.