Starlin Castro Watch Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, I know at times he has lapses but holy shit was that over blown by the announcers. He was looking for the ball. When he picked it up, he went full speed. I mean the kid does have lapses but I don't think he thought he could jog home. It also took a perfect throw. I don't understand why people love to get on him like he was a superstar. He has never been a superstar. Has the potential, but has never come that far.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I saw the video of the play and it looked like he was going full speed and half way down he quit.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I saw the video of the play and it looked like he was going full speed and half way down he quit.
I saw the play live, and several replays. This is not what I saw.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Not what I saw either.

However, I saw him jogging most of the way to home. It really wasn't till the catcher was getting set to receive the throw that Starlin finally decided to go all out.

Hell he wasn't even to third base yet when the announcer commented on his lack of hustle. It was that obvious.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
However if that had been Soriano that got thrown out at home, people would be shitting their pants and there would be several threads about how Soriano is single handedly ruining the franchise.

It was Castro, so the apologies flow.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, I know at times he has lapses but holy shit was that over blown by the announcers. He was looking for the ball. When he picked it up, he went full speed. I mean the kid does have lapses but I don't think he thought he could jog home. It also took a perfect throw. I don't understand why people love to get on him like he was a superstar. He has never been a superstar. Has the potential, but has never come that far.

However if that had been Soriano that got thrown out at home, people would be shitting their pants and there would be several threads about how Soriano is single handedly ruining the franchise.

Soriano is being paid superstar money, Castro is a 23 year old kid, there is that little thing that makes people ride Soriano more then Castro. Is it right? Not always, but that's how it works.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I don't know that any one person can be pegged for "single handedly ruining the franchise" at this point.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don't know that any one person can be pegged for "single handedly ruining the franchise" at this point.

You're right :cubstroll2:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I didnt see the play that he got thrown out on, but ive heard both sides that he was joggn at first and then sped up and he was full speed and slowed down..
I guess everyone has their own opinion, but it kinda hard to tell watching on TV.
plus everyone says they were surprise he was thrown out and it took a perfect throw to get him..

That play asides, castro has been swinging a hot bat since his day off..

8 Games 11 for 35 .314 4 Multi Hit games HR 2 Rbi 4 RS 2 BB 4 K .. Raised his overall Avg 5 Pts to .236 :clap:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I watched it again and I agree he's looking for the ball runnign to third. Half way down, Castro totally slows down which contributes to his "worst slide ever" attempt and being out. If he runs straight thru he's safe easily.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Soriano is being paid superstar money, Castro is a 23 year old kid, there is that little thing that makes people ride Soriano more then Castro.

That is pretty dumb logic.

Because a player is making less money or is younger isn't an intelligent reason to apologize for lack of hustle or poor play.

Yet many people continue to do it as the quote illustrates.

Castro is one of the major building blocks that this franchise is basing it's plan on. In several years he will also start being paid like a superstar.

For this rebuilding plan to work, Castro needs to start producing like a superstar.

Period.

Is it right? Not always, but that's how it works.

Oh ok, more great logic.

Since that is the way it is, no one should do anything about it or change it??

Dumb, dumb, dumb logic.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

True. However, I have read enough posts concerning the fact that Soriano's contract has hindered the Cubs from spending which is absolutely ludicrous. Especially from when a lot of the same people (not here) endorsed and defended the throwing away of 18 million for Zambrano just to be off the team.

I think a more appropriate player that should be equated to Castro was Aramis Ramirez. People threw him under the bus because he didn't hustle down the line, or the fact that he just appeared to not care sometimes.

People need to look at players evenly, and contract length nor size of it should matter. As far as lapses if that is indeed what occurred, this should not be happening, especially to a kid that has had recent lapses.

The excuse of him being 23 and has time to turn it around his crap. He has been in the league for 4 years, has been given an astronomical contract for mediocre play when averaged out, and the FO and managers should be throwing the gauntlet down at him.

Basic fundamentals are you run as hard as you can until the coach tells you to stop. Everyone of us knows that. How come Castro doesn't?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, that was just horrible by Castro. WTF are you doing leaning towards third with 2 outs and the ball is in the catchers glove. That was was a ridiculous dumb play. He needs to get on ADD medicine. I have said he has had it forever.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was terrible base running. I am not certain what he was doing moving towards third still with the ball in the catcher's mitt.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
At what point do we start using the phrase....

Starlin being Starlin??

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He should sit tomorrow. You can't start shopping him now with the way he is hitting.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Man, it doesn't even matter at this point. Who cares if he doesn't get another hit this season. We aren't going to win anything for at least the next 100 years. If he still sucks when they think we should not suck, then worry. Until then, fuuuuck it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Phew... horrible base running today by Castro. The pickoff was inexcusable, to say the least. Looked pretty bad on those two strikeouts, too.