Starlin Castro Watch Thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He had a new swing last year as well. Also, half a season but you fail to talk about his other half or his .324 September. You are also one of those guys that probably said Ramirez was horrible until it didn't count. Homerish? LOL Coming from the biggest homer on here who think Theo is God and Hoyer is the prodigal child. Starlins "decline" was due to Cubs management changing his whole approach to hitting plus giving him new swings because they wanted to bat third on a horrible team because they had no other options. Castro needs to go back to see ball, hit ball. So, yet again, I ask you is waiting to the end of the season really to long. Im sure you will forget all about this by then. You seem to be what you did for me the last 5 minutes type of guy.
Oh cool. So from now on when Castro sucks it's because of swing changes. But when he was good last year the swing changes were good? But then they were bad? Then good again? Now bad again?

LOL at you Cubs homers.

To the bolded, I've never said that and how is Hoyer the "prodigal child"? That comparison doesn't even make sense.

Good call on me being the type of guy who is more interested in what Castro has done in the last 5 minutes when I just posted his stat line for the last 365 days and am referencing 80 games stretches from 2012.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh cool. So from now on when Castro sucks it's because of swing changes. But when he was good last year the swing changes were good? But then they were bad? Then good again? Now bad again?

LOL at you Cubs homers.

To the bolded, I've never said that and how is Hoyer the "prodigal child"? That comparison doesn't even make sense.

Good call on me being the type of guy who is more interested in what Castro has done in the last 5 minutes when I just posted his stat line for the last 365 days and am referencing 80 games stretches from 2012.

Its why he was not consistent the whole season. His mechanics would get out of whack. Evidentially, the Cubs feel they would rather go through these growing pains of changing his whole approach then going back to the old mechanics. Did you even realize his whole swing was changed last year and then this year? From what you are typing, it seems like you did not. Im willing to see where it goes because if it leads to Castro walking more and hitting 15 homers a year then the Cubs were successful in changing him. If not, they better hope he can revert back or they ruined a good young player. Castro has been bad this year, but it also came with a huge slump. He is not as bad a .232 hitter right now. He has a whole 3 months left. Yet again, what is so hard about waiting to the end of the season.

Also, you keep pointing out 80 games. I keep pointing out the the other 82. You seem to think that because he didn't hit .300 every month. He was a failure. The other 82 games that he hit over .300 count just as much as the other 80 bud no matter how you try to dice it.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its why he was not consistent the whole season. His mechanics would get out of whack. Evidentially, the Cubs feel they would rather go through these growing pains of changing his whole approach then going back to the old mechanics. Did you even realize his whole swing was changed last year and then this year?
Yes. I also realized he sucked.

Also, you keep pointing out 80 games. I keep pointing out the the other 82. You seem to think that because he didn't hit .300 every month. He was a failure. The other 82 games that he hit over .300 count just as much as the other 80 bud no matter how you try to dice it.
No. I actually pointed to the exact opposite. Him hitting under 255 for half the season make that a failure. For Christ sakes he had a month last season where he hit under .235.

Nice try at a strawman though.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. I also realized he sucked.

No. I actually pointed to the exact opposite. Him hitting under 255 for half the season make that a failure. For Christ sakes he had a month last season where he hit under .235.

Nice try at a strawman though.

Lol, the hypocrisy of that post is hilarious.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol, the hypocrisy of that post is hilarious.

Nice try at a deflection.

You can't even stay on topic.

"No need to worry about Castro! It's only been a couple months this season!"

-Umm Castro had some extended down times last year and went backwards offensively

"Well that's because they were changing his mechanics and they did so again this year"

-Right. Ok. So why should Cubs fans not worry about Castro this year with him continuing a backwards trend that started last season?

"You just want Castro to hit .300 every month!"

-Nah, I'd settle for above .250

You trying to search for (any) excuse for Castro back sliding isn't the same thing as saying he isn't back sliding or there shouldn't be cause for concern. Regardless of whatever convoluted reason you want to give for his dip in production, that dip in production should be a concern and it's been going on for longer than 3 months.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
gordon-beckham.jpg

"Don't worry guys. I'm sure Castro will turn it around!"

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
"It's an everyday battle right now," Sveum said. "He's a cutter and slasher [type hitter], who's going to swing the bat. I'd like to see him back to where he was in 2010 and 2011 when there was a lot less movement going on. He thinks it's the same mechanics, but they're not the same mechanics from when he came up. It might look the same but there's way more movement going on."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/n...arlin-castro-could-get-time-to-clear-his-head

Sveum wants him to get back to the 2010 swing.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice try at a deflection.

You can't even stay on topic.

"No need to worry about Castro! It's only been a couple months this season!"

-Umm Castro had some extended down times last year and went backwards offensively

"Well that's because they were changing his mechanics and they did so again this year"

-Right. Ok. So why should Cubs fans not worry about Castro this year with him continuing a backwards trend that started last season?

"You just want Castro to hit .300 every month!"

-Nah, I'd settle for above .250

You trying to search for (any) excuse for Castro back sliding isn't the same thing as saying he isn't back sliding or there shouldn't be cause for concern. Regardless of whatever convoluted reason you want to give for his dip in production, that dip in production should be a concern and it's been going on for longer than 3 months.

Lol, I don't deflect. You called me a strawman when you are strawmanning yourself you silly bastard. Thats the funny part. You point to 3 months last year that he wasn't very good. I pointed to the other three months that he was including the last month of the season which in essence means he didn't slide the whole second half of the year.

Also, your whole summarized convo up there is no where near as to what was wrote or typed. Keep feeding those brain cells pot brownies because I know you cant be sober.

Ill leave you with a Castro and Sveum quote. Mechanics aren't regression.

"He hasn’t lost bat speed," said manager Dale Sveum. “It is the timing. Once the movement is going on when the ball is being delivered, the ball will get in deeper than you really think. Everything may be OK in your mind, but here is a timing mechanism that just isn’t working.”

The leg kick has been the stumbling block for the young Dominican shortstop.

“I am trying to keep my mind positive," Castro told ESPNChicago.com. “The coaching staff has helped me to keep my mind positive. Slumps happen. ... This one has been tougher because it’s the longest one I have had. I keep my mind free and stay positive. When I get hot, I will stay hot.”

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They also need him to go back to being aggressive. But, Theo and his walks.
I agree with this. I believe this is what has messed him up mechanically. Too much thinking at the plate instead of naturally pulling the trigger. Theo is right in his philosophy, not because of the walks, but because there is a lot of value to not swinging at pitchers' strikes. I just think it is very difficult for a free swinger to make the adjustment to that of one who has a lot of plate discipline. What they have done is lower his trade value, if his free swinging doesn't fit the type of player they ultimately look for in their "system".

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol, I don't deflect. You called me a strawman when you are strawmanning yourself you silly bastard. Thats the funny part. You point to 3 months last year that he wasn't very good. I pointed to the other three months that he was including the last month of the season which in essence means he didn't slide the whole second half of the year.
Yeah he only slid a majority of the second half of the season. PROGRESS!

I presented no strawman arguments at all. You're just angry Castro is regressing.

Bad mechanics can lead to regression.

Nice try. Castro has regressed. You can blame it on whatever you want. It's a fact.

Castro=Gordon Beckham.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with this. I believe this is what has messed him up mechanically. Too much thinking at the plate instead of naturally pulling the trigger. Theo is right in his philosophy, not because of the walks, but because there is a lot of value to not swinging at pitchers' strikes. I just think it is very difficult for a free swinger to make the adjustment to that of one who has a lot of plate discipline. What they have done is lower his trade value, if his free swinging doesn't fit the type of player they ultimately look for in their "system".

I agree, Im not opposed to Theo's philosophy at all but not all players are going to bat .290 and have a .380 OBP. Castro needs to get it around .350 while batting around .300 and it would be very good for this club. Don't hurt a players natural ability because you want more walks. Selective would be the better word Castro needs. Like, while he has been in this slump. Ive seen him watch meatballs go and then get aggressive with 2 strikes. When he is going good, he jumps on that first good pitch. He needs to go back to that. This stems from people wanting him to hit more homers. He needs to just play the game.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Seems like the FO's idea is working. Castro just blows.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20899

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah he only slid a majority of the second half of the season. PROGRESS!

I presented no strawman arguments at all. You're just angry Castro is regressing.

Bad mechanics can lead to regression.

Nice try. Castro has regressed. You can blame it on whatever you want. It's a fact.

Castro=Gordon Beckham.

Did you throw your sippy cup as well to try to make that point. Lol Im not trying anything. You just have such a little argument it is hilarious.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You also realize that article points to Hoyer and the article saying Castro still has all the ability.

I never said Castro doesn't have ability. I said he's been regressing. Which he has been. And apparently to you there is no need for concern over it.

One of the Cubs cornerstone players has been slumping for an entire year and NO NEED FOR CONCERN!

Great beisbol thought.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the link. What Castro is doing is thinking too much. When he is done thinking too much and is simply ready to swing at every pitch, he will come back to being the hitter they want with that good 2010/2011 form.

Not quite.

McThoyer are looking for the sabremetrics players, high OBPs, a lot of walks. A big reason Rizzo has a high OBP right now. Castro is not, has not, and will not ever be a player who takes walks. Castro takes many first pitch strikes, and that's what kills him. The kid's swing is that good, he doesn't need to take walks.

Thinking is added in because the cubs are trying to make him into a hitter he's not. Castro has always been aggressive, its his MO. After very hittable first pitches he takes in the zone, pitcher paint the corner till he Ks or becomes an easy out. Fuck taking first pitches, Castro sucks when he does. Let the kid hit.