My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How about this perspective?

What has the recent recession taught us? It's taught us that no matter what bad shit happens, the market wants to run upward no matter what. Just like the charts that shows stock market appreciation since 1929 has been upward (depression WW2, 87 recession, 2000 dot com bust, 2008 recession, 2020 Covid burst). No matter what happens the market rebounds. So then why get out and try to time a re-entry point?
Regardless if trump is in office?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
DOW up another 1.7% today. S&P now has all the gains back it lost. Nasdaq all time high. How much further can it keep going? Things seem a bit euphoric, makes me wanna sell

I'm selling my position in NKLA tomorrow. No fucking way a 150% one day jump is sustainable lol.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
How about this perspective?

What has the recent recession taught us? It's taught us that no matter what bad shit happens, the market wants to run upward no matter what. Just like the charts that shows stock market appreciation since 1929 has been upward (depression WW2, 87 recession, 2000 dot com bust, 2008 recession, 2020 Covid burst). No matter what happens the market rebounds. So then why get out and try to time a re-entry point?

trying to time the market is impossible, I agree with you on that. But, if someone has a strong conviction that the market is heading for a dark downturn, then it’s fine to sell some, not all, of your portfolio and adding to cash on the sidelines to have ready to re deploy upon the drop.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm selling my position in NKLA tomorrow. No fucking way a 150% one day jump is sustainable lol.

I would think that to be a solid idea. 4 employees, with a market cap of 30 billion...wild

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I would think that to be a solid idea. 4 employees, with a market cap of 30 billion...wild

I was actually going to be in for the long term, but after yesterday, no thanks. I took my money and ran. They're still trying to get off the ground. The spec paid off for me. Maybe if it comes down to a reasonable level, but they really don't even have a product yet.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I was actually going to be in for the long term, but after yesterday, no thanks. I took my money and ran. They're still trying to get off the ground. The spec paid off for me. Maybe if it comes down to a reasonable level, but they really don't even have a product yet.

exactly, it could end up being an amazing company and investment long term. But, in the short term...taking those massive profits and waiting for it to dip back to reality, should be a prudent move no doubt

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
trying to time the market is impossible, I agree with you on that. But, if someone has a strong conviction that the market is heading for a dark downturn, then it’s fine to sell some, not all, of your portfolio and adding to cash on the sidelines to have ready to re deploy upon the drop.
My buddy said the same thing and almost pulled out of the markets 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, said he was glad he stayed cause in those 3 weeks he make $1.5M

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My buddy said the same thing and almost pulled out of the markets 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, said he was glad he stayed cause in those 3 weeks he make $1.5M

right, what you’re describing is an emotional decision. What I’m talking about is a well thought out, rational decision based on fundamentals. People are getting a bit too bullish for my liking. I liked it more a couple months ago when everyone hated the stock market and I was quietly buying up stocks at prices that will never be seen again. Just saying it’s probably getting close to time to quietly sell off some stock while everyone else is gobbling it up. “Sell when others are euphoric, and buy when others are fearful.”

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
For me, I'm confused. I'm a hold type guy but have been tempted to sell off. But then my advisor at Vanguard send me 3 paragraphs and talks me off the ledge. None of the recent market reaction makes any sense

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
right, what you’re describing is an emotional decision. What I’m talking about is a well thought out, rational decision based on fundamentals. People are getting a bit too bullish for my liking. I liked it more a couple months ago when everyone hated the stock market and I was quietly buying up stocks at prices that will never be seen again. Just saying it’s probably getting close to time to quietly sell off some stock while everyone else is gobbling it up. “Sell when others are euphoric, and buy when others are fearful.”
OK, but does that still beat a long term hold strategy considering 100 years of data? You still have to guess on a re-entry point

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
OK, but does that still beat a long term hold strategy considering 100 years of data? You still have to guess on a re-entry point

true...and as long as your re entry point is lower than your exit level...it’s a win to some degree or another.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Dropping like a rock today

:cannon:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Dropping like a rock today

:cannon:

yep, almost like it was pretty clear it was coming. Whether we get a 2nd wave of covid or not is going to decide things in the short term

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
yep, almost like it was pretty clear it was coming. Whether we get a 2nd wave of covid or not is going to decide things in the short term

Perfect timing for me. I was putting in my standard Roth deposit for tomorrow's session.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've had a string of luck of the last few months.

CCL around 8.50
BYND around 60
DAL around 22

Doubled my money on CCL/BYND and sold DAL around 30. I want nothing to do with cruise lines or airlines at this point but I made some quick money. Kept half of my BYND for the time.

Not a huge fan of this day trading shit, but damn I've been lucky. Moved most of my profits into my passive accounts for now. I'm out for the time until i see how the market reacts to Q2 earnings.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I've had a string of luck of the last few months.

CCL around 8.50
BYND around 60
DAL around 22

Doubled my money on CCL/BYND and sold DAL around 30. I want nothing to do with cruise lines or airlines at this point but I made some quick money. Kept half of my BYND for the time.

Not a huge fan of this day trading shit, but damn I've been lucky. Moved most of my profits into my passive accounts for now. I'm out for the time until i see how the market reacts to Q2 earnings.

All my long term accounts are up fairly sizably because I got in a lot of that shit at the low in March. My plan was never quick cash, it was more of an entry point. I had one spec pay off real nice, and the only thing I have that I eventually plan on selling is Boeing. I got that at under $125 on average. I just have too small of an amount of shares to make any big difference though. If it drops under $150 again, I'll probably use the cash I made on NKLA to really load up there.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers