TGDT: 11/7 Oilers @ Blackhawks 6:00PM WGN

R K

I dont buy the "lack of effort" argument, these guys both care and are trying hard, just not getting the results. Sometimes thats the worse where you try harder and it looks even worse out there, lacking results. I don't really question Toews, Kane, Sharp or any of the returners "hearts" after seeing them play for several years now simply because they didnt get on the scoresheet. No one loves getting on the scoresheet more than Kane...and no one competes harder than Toews. As far as the new guys, Skill, Dowell, Pisani all play hard....Stalberg has been fitting in as well. Its just timing and chemistry....and IMO, after Bolland returns...they need 1 third liner to step up - or I think they need to go out and get. I don't think Bickell's the answer there.

Habby played well last nite and it was 2 goals in 14 seconds that cost them. He robbed Toews, Seabrook, Brouwer specifically I can remember. Nevermind the clutch/grab that EDM got away....throw in 3 PP's in the last 16minutes of the game - at the 5, 7 and 11 minute marks...its hard to handle that. There were times the puck was all over the EDM zone, much like last year.

The team is not that far away.

Watch that Khabi video above. He point blanks Toews on a wide open net with his toe, then Kane gets the rebound and Khabi throws up his leg, blockers the puck out of the air going towards a wide open net.

Amazing. JT and Kane must have had little Khabi nightmares.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I hope you're right but 4-6 on home ice and 3 of those losses to bottom feeding teams does not bode well. Last year if I recall correctly the Hawks only lost 8 game on home ice the entire season. We've now lost 6 already and it's early November. Yikes!

PITT was 21-20 at the all star break....and won the cup.

They had 13 home losses that year...while BOSTON had only 6 - and lost 4 home games in the second round. So much for what the home dominance meant there.

Hawks had 3 losses in 11 playoff games last year...and had the same record on the road in the playoffs....so were they better at home, or on the road?

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Watch that Khabi video above. He point blanks Toews on a wide open net with his toe, then Kane gets the rebound and Khabi throws up his leg, blockers the puck out of the air going towards a wide open net.

Amazing. JT and Kane must have had little Khabi nightmares.

And Kane had a few sticks on him there as well. Kopecky just missed tucking one in as well, Brouwer getting robbed late second, Kane set up Seabrook for an open look in the first....Imagine if they had heart or were giving 100% effort. Score wouldve been 8-2 easily.

R K

PITT was 21-20 at the all star break....and won the cup.

They had 13 home losses that year...while BOSTON had only 6 - and lost 4 home games in the second round. So much for what the home dominance meant there.

Hawks had 3 losses in 11 playoff games last year...and had the same record on the road in the playoffs....so were they better at home, or on the road?

You actually bring up a very valid point. The Hawks started having problems winning at home during the playoffs. It's continued right into this season.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Fucking brutal third period by the Hawks. If it wasn't defensive breakdowns or turnovers, it was penalties. And one night after supposedly "breaking out", we get zero points from Kane and Toews while Sharp is now goalless in five. Toews has finished a game pointless 53% of the time this season. Hossa may get a pass in his first game back, but if the above mentioned quartet don't do it, nobody will.

Once more we ship two goals in quick succession to completely concede momentum in a game. Seems like that's happened about ten times already this season. Time and again the defense just caves. The team's GAA is now an even 3.00, up by more than a fifth compared to last season. We've allowed less than two goals three times in 17 games and don't have a single shutout so far.

The Oilers have now taken 40% of their points against the Hawks. If the powerplay hadn't been clicking the way it has so far, we'd be right there with the Devils and Sabres jockeying for position in the basement of the league...

Sounds eerily similar to fatigue.

These guys were dead tired in the third and still through everything they had at Khabby and couldn't score.

The next two days off is going to work wonders on the team.

R K

Sounds eerily similar to fatigue.

These guys were dead tired in the third and still through everything they had at Khabby and couldn't score.

The next two days off is going to work wonders on the team.

Well it was back to back and Edmonton was sitting here waiting for them.

And even in the end of the 3rd the Hawks were all over them. Those last two Khabi saves were with like 2 minutes left. There was another huge flurry in front of Khabi late in the game with seconds on the clock and he came up big again.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of the comments in this thread really make me LOL. The Hawks looked this bad during a stretch last year, can't remember what month.

How about we hold off judgement until at least 33% through the season?

They haven't looked good and we're seeing slow starts from Toews/Kane/Keith/Bolland. Campbell was out for a long ass time and Hossa missed what, 4 games, when he was in the middle of a hot streak? Two of which were easily winnable if I remember correctly.

I hope they lose a couple more home games as well so I can go to a game this year and not pay $150 for the experience. Last I checked all you have to do is sneak your way into the 8th seed and you have a VERY real chance at the Cup.

nana

Liked Posts:
I dont buy the "lack of effort" argument, these guys both care and are trying hard, just not getting the results. Sometimes thats the worse where you try harder and it looks even worse out there, lacking results. I don't really question Toews, Kane, Sharp or any of the returners "hearts" after seeing them play for several years now simply because they didnt get on the scoresheet. No one loves getting on the scoresheet more than Kane...and no one competes harder than Toews. The team is not that far away.

<
This.

As for the new fan/bandwagon discussion -

Don't forget, I am one of those dreaded new fans... three years under my belt of tormenting all of you at the UC and on these boards... and I'm not going anywhere!

R K

<
This.

To all -

Don't forget, I am one of those dreaded new fans... three years under my belt of tormenting all of you at the UC and on these boards...

The difference with you as no one could tell. Shame all fans aren't like you Nana.

nana

Liked Posts:
The difference with you as no one could tell. Shame all fans aren't like you Nana.

<
I'm blushing... that is high praise from you, RK! Thank you.

I still say the leaders on this team respond well to adversity and the team will be fine. People forget, but there were plenty of times last year when the ledge got crowded. I think we are getting to see glimpses now of what the team can do with health, rest, practice, and the chemistry which will build as a result of those previous three things being in place. Road trip will be good for them.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Some of the comments in this thread really make me LOL. The Hawks looked this bad during a stretch last year, can't remember what month.

They haven't looked good and we're seeing slow starts from Toews/Kane/Keith/Bolland. Campbell was out for a long ass time and Hossa missed what, 4 games, when he was in the middle of a hot streak? Two of which were easily winnable if I remember correctly.

I hope they lose a couple more home games as well so I can go to a game this year and not pay $150 for the experience. Last I checked all you have to do is sneak your way into the 8th seed and you have a VERY real chance at the Cup.

I just want to remind everyone that the season is almost 1/4 done already. That's crazyiness..that's just right messed up. .500 hockey pretty soon is not going to cut the mustard.

It's already going by so fast.

I don't recall the Hawks having these issues last year at this time. The feeling of something special this time last year was apparent. From feeling like this team was going to do amazing things last year at this time to now thinking 8th seed is the bench mark? UGH. How frustrating is that lol. By the way this team is going to take a much higher seed than 8th.

I'm not expecting a repeat either I don't think many of us are considering the offseason and the fact that in the cap era the odds are bad. No one on here though can't say they don't want a repeat. Not one of you. There is a huge difference btw wanting and expecting. So when some fans get a little disgruntled? Can you blame them? We all love the Hawks none of us are going to jump off the wagon. None of us are ever going to forget the cup last year. Do we want that feeling as fans again? Damn rights we do.

I get disgruntled. Im not appologizing for that. Im a passionate fan as we all are. Passion creates disgruntled moments. For those of you who don't get frustrated or disgruntled sometimes? More power to you.... I am not like that and won't be saying sorry for my passion anytime soon.

I'm going to continue spewing my dislikes and what I see as issues. If people want to see it as someone taking jabs at the team and not being a true fan..so be it. I know the truth. I know how many piss poor seasons I have stuck it out with this team. How many poor management decisions I have gone through. How many jabs I have taken from other fan bases.

With that said...i'm not happy with the Hawks play so far this season. PERIOD!!! There are issues and if anyone wants to try to blanket them with excuses of injuries, schedule, officiating etc etc etc. Have fun with that. I'll bring up old posts where people were saying these weren't good enough excuses for other teams in the past. So why are they good enough excuses for ours? Just a tad bit double faced if you ask me.

Again if anyone wants to start using the schedule excuse go look at the Flyers record and stats. Sure they have been pretty healthy but their schedule hasn't been honky dory either and they should be feeling the effects of a long post season also? Appears to me they are not. The schedule excuse isn't washing with me fully. I do think it has had an effect but I don't think it explains away that much. The injury excuses? Those hold much more water with me. Good enough excuse though? Maybe..maybe not. Even with the roster we have had we should have won many games we didn't. At the very very least the Hawks have been in pretty much everygame so far this season. That at least says something positive. Eventually those close games are going to end in our favor in regulation.

Im still very confident in this team. The talent is certainly there. I do think other things are missing though. By the time this club hits the 25 game mark I expect this team to be hitting a better stride.

TCD.............is in a bad mood today.
<

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
I just want to remind everyone that the season is almost 1/4 done already. That's crazyiness..that's just right messed up. .500 hockey pretty soon is not going to cut the mustard.

It's already going by so fast.

I don't recall the Hawks having these issues last year at this time. The feeling of something special this time last year was apparent. From feeling like this team was going to do amazing things last year at this time to now thinking 8th seed is the bench mark? UGH. How frustrating is that lol. By the way this team is going to take a much higher seed than 8th.

I'm not expecting a repeat either I don't think many of us are considering the offseason and the fact that in the cap era the odds are bad. No one on here though can't say they don't want a repeat. Not one of you. There is a huge difference btw wanting and expecting. So when some fans get a little disgruntled? Can you blame them? We all love the Hawks none of us are going to jump off the wagon. None of us are ever going to forget the cup last year. Do we want that feeling as fans again? Damn rights we do.

I get disgruntled. Im not appologizing for that. Im a passionate fan as we all are. Passion creates disgruntled moments. For those of you who don't get frustrated or disgruntled sometimes? More power to you.... I am not like that and won't be saying sorry for my passion anytime soon.

I'm going to continue spewing my dislikes and what I see as issues. If people want to see it as someone taking jabs at the team and not being a true fan..so be it. I know the truth. I know how many piss poor seasons I have stuck it out with this team. How many poor management decisions I have gone through. How many jabs I have taken from other fan bases.

With that said...i'm not happy with the Hawks play so far this season. PERIOD!!! There are issues and if anyone wants to try to blanket them with excuses of injuries, schedule, officiating etc etc etc. Have fun with that. I'll bring up old posts where people were saying these weren't good enough excuses for other teams in the past. So why are they good enough excuses for ours? Just a tad bit double faced if you ask me.

Again if anyone wants to start using the schedule excuse go look at the Flyers record and stats. Sure they have been pretty healthy but their schedule hasn't been honky dory either and they should be feeling the effects of a long post season also? Appears to me they are not. The schedule excuse isn't washing with me fully. I do think it has had an effect but I don't think it explains away that much. The injury excuses? Those hold much more water with me. Good enough excuse though? Maybe..maybe not. Even with the roster we have had we should have won many games we didn't. At the very very least the Hawks have been in pretty much everygame so far this season. That at least says something positive. Eventually those close games are going to end in our favor in regulation.

Im still very confident in this team. The talent is certainly there. I do think other things are missing though. By the time this club hits the 25 game mark I expect this team to be hitting a better stride.

TCD.............is in a bad mood today.
<

Nice post... but it's not just the schedule (Last year at this date we had played 15 games, but let me remind you, started the season 5 days earlier than this year), it's also the lack of familiarity on the team. Remember that last year's team had more chemistry and general like for each other than many teams will ever see and they also had a full year prior of pretty much the same guys.

Not only that, but Toews is off to a very slow start and doesn't have Versteeg/Buff/Ladd to score some depth goals to cover his shortcomings.... same can be said for Kane to some extent. The lower lines had played with each other for a full year before last season and knew each other's styles and all that... this year everyone is a stranger down there (lol insert penis joke). Defense still hasn't clicked... Dunc and Seabs have given up their fair share of really terrible goals and you really can't expect that to happen all year. Hammer looks lost out there as well. Oh yea and you forgot about 2 First Names and Cullisuck playing on defense which has given up their fair share of goals as well.

Couple that with the crappy injuries which took Campbell out for so long and Hossa being gone for four games, two of which where if he was in the lineup you have a way better chance to win because he's the best player on the team this year as far as two-way play is concerned. Bolland not being 100% is really hurting center depth and a huge issue.

While there are holes all over the place, I still think the Hawks can go on a tear once everyone's healthy. Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

I'm not worried for the long run of this team but am worried for the short term of my liver until they get things straightened out.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I agree 100% Stu. That's why I give this team the 25 game mark to at least gain more familiarity (maybe thats a short time frame but im anxious). And good point about the lines last year having much more time to gel due to the previous year together. I do have to keep that in mind. Q seems to be having some issues getting that chemistry going also.

And I agree about depth scoring. I have been saying this from game one that the Hawks will need the same contributions from the 3rd/4th lines that they got last year. I expected the newer faces to fill the roles better than they have so far. Not going to lie. My expectations were probably too high. I certainly see what the ex-hawks brought to the table much more clearer now. Always knew the chemistry would be hard to regain and rematch but thought inew chemistry would be found quicker than it has been (again I am too anxious). I'm getting ahead of myself and I know it. Losing the games the way we have been is just so frustrating.

I agree though this team will go on a tear. I am expecting a huge December and a much better rest of the November. Team will be fine. As was said before the road trips should get the team bonded a bit better. It can't hurt them thats for sure.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Just because you're a douchebag doesnt give you the write to rant like that.

Dont ever make me read that much bullshit ever again.

phranchk

Liked Posts:

It was shortly after the Olympic break and right after Campbell got hurt. Continued almost to the end of the season.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Just because you're a douchebag doesnt give you the write to rant like that.

Dont ever make me read that much bullshit ever again.

Then back in 1971 I sort of started dating this girl, my first true girlfriend I guess. Her name was Winnie and she had been my neighbour for years. We grew up together and I have to say I sort of built up a heavy crush on her during that time. Anyways she was all upset and stuff because her brother had dies in Vietnam. My friend Paul who was a bit "awkward" for a lack of better terms was dealing with his own issues at the time. Sort of having a tough time with puberty I suppose. My older brother Wayne who was your stereotypical bully harassed Paul a lot. And Pauls mother had just caught him masterbating to porn. Needless to say Paul wasn't in the best state of mind. Nor was Winnie.I knew I shouldn't have left them alone together on that park bench. But when you are 13 you have this trust in your best friend.

Just went to the corner store for 3 minutes to pick up a cola. While in the store I noticed the condoms on the shelf behind the clerk. He knew I was looking. Thoughts of Whinnie filled my head faster than the thought of baseball cards did 4 years earlier in my life. It's not the only place that was hit hard with the thoughts of Winnie. Balls and bats took on a new meaning at that moment. But there I was cola in hand starring at condoms the clerk looking at me and with what was about to be a very embarassing moment.

I figured I would just cover the embarssing spot with the cola bottle quickly turn around and run uot the door as fast as I could before the clerk could see what horrible things were happening. This is what I did. One of those moments where you wish you had eyes in the back of your head. As I turned around there stood Karen my hippie sister. I bumped her. And I bumped her with the wrong part of my body. The look on her face I will never forget nor will I ever what she said. "You like cherry soda that much do you? You are sick little boy Kevin Arnold and you know your best friend is outside making out with the neighbour girl".

Never have I ran so fast. But my sister was right. There they were. My best friend and my girl. Was just me and my boner and a cherry cola now. Those were...the wonder years.

Later on in life I became really good at playing video games on Nintendo. That was cool.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
Well, I'm watching Detoilet and the Yotes tonight, and the way both these teams are skating, they would SHRED the Hawks. So, yeah, classify me as concerned....

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Well then I guess you dont have to watch on wed, since the Hawks will get shredded by the Yotes.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Well then I guess you dont have to watch on wed, since the Hawks will get shredded by the Yotes.

If that HAS TO HAPPEN.... please make Stempniak score 5 goals and Bryz get the shutout. Otherwise, FUCK THE YOTES!