TGDT: 11/7 Oilers @ Blackhawks 6:00PM WGN

R K

I personally never expected a repeat, not with the cuts that had to be made.

If the boys go out and play hard for 60 minutes and lose every game, I am ok with that.

I don't think I really did deep down, BUT I do believe this team will compete for another. This year. The talent IMO is there. Getting them to play that way is Q's job and so far, in my opinion, he's somewhat failed.

LONG WAY TO GO! It's November.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
There are only three more home games this month. They'll get a lot of bonding on the road.

Hawks will be fine. Last night the other teams goalie stole the game. It happens. Look at Halak! I might have to adjust my feelings on St. Louis if their goalie continues to stand on his head. Has how many shut outs already, 3, 4... Yikes.

And something we talked about last night the energy from the fans in the building is no where near where it was last year. Everything is different.

That's what happens when you price out the majority of the REAL hockey fans. Let's face it, most hockey fans are blue collar folks, or older people with families. They can't afford the tickets, especially not for 3-5 people. I could afford to go to a lot of games, but there's no fucking way I'm spending $250-300 per game to sit in the 200 or 300 level, just for my wife and I. So, you get what you have at the UC. Rich, young, trust fund milking yuppies, who don't know shit about hockey, and are just there to hang out and get hammered. Complete with their terrible knock off Kane jerseys, and their popped collars. The crowd has gotten more and more like the bleachers in Wrigley as time has gone on the last two years. I really didn't even enjoy my last 2-3 games at the UC. The crowd really is THAT bad. Hell how many people here used to go to pretty much every game, but are now forced to sell the majority of their tickets, so they can still afford them?

Thank Rocky and McD for the shitty UC atmosphere. They got what they wanted.

R K

That's what happens when you price out the majority of the REAL hockey fans. Let's face it, most hockey fans are blue collar folks, or older people with families. They can't afford the tickets, especially not for 3-5 people. I could afford to go to a lot of games, but there's no fucking way I'm spending $250-300 per game to sit in the 200 or 300 level, just for my wife and I. So, you get what you have at the UC. Rich, young, trust fund milking yuppies, who don't know shit about hockey, and are just there to hang out and get hammered. Complete with their terrible knock off Kane jerseys, and their popped collars. The crowd has gotten more and more like the bleachers in Wrigley as time has gone on the last two years. I really didn't even enjoy my last 2-3 games at the UC. The crowd really is THAT bad. Hell how many people here used to go to pretty much every game, but are now forced to sell the majority of their tickets, so they can still afford them?

Preaching to the choir brother. Hopefully this will allow some of the true fans to come watch some games. This team will win alot, they just have not hit their stride. It will come.

Unfortunately the prices are what they are BUT the secondary market is falling out. Prices are about face which will allow some that might not have been able to afford it last year, to afford it this year.

The Bandwagon truly sucks, but it's a bi product of winning and yes, Mcdonoughs good marketing. Or shady considering he has a hand in the media and TICKET MASTER!

And the UC crowd sucks. Has sucked all year. Dumb fucking people.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Is it bad that I kinda hope inside of me, that the Hawks continue to lose at home for a little while longer? Just so it clears out a bunch of said dumb fucks? I prefer 16,000 real fans in the seats, as opposed to the 22,000 douchebags we have now. Maybe that's one of the reasons that the Hawks suck so bad at home this year. There's just no energy in the building for them to build off of.

R K

Is it bad that I kinda hope inside of me, that the Hawks continue to lose at home for a little while longer? Just so it clears out a bunch of said dumb fucks? I prefer 16,000 real fans in the seats, as opposed to the 22,000 douchebags we have now. Maybe that's one of the reasons that the Hawks suck so bad at home this year. There's just no energy in the building for them to build off of.

That's what I suggested up there and our resident bandwagoner somewhat called me out.

Like I said I want the team to be successful but if the losing weeds out some of these assholes, I really wouldn't be unhappy. From my seat I can always just raise my head up a little and see the Banner I so longed to see hanging there.

Toews and Kane will win many more Cups IMO.

It was really peaceful in the KO last night. Almost felt like old times with just us few that were ALWAYS there! Win or Lose.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:

It's getting to be horrible. We're pretty sure the seats behind ours are broker seats but regardless, we're constantly stuck with people who either (a) think they know absolutely everything about hockey when they clearly know nothing but what they've read on some blogs and message boards criticizing certain players (whom they then call out ALL GAME LONG); or (b ) don't pay any attention whatsoever to the game and spend their time talking business or gossip or talking on their cell phones to other similar people who are at the game in different seats so they can wave to one another. I know the goal is to create new fans but dammit, these people are not "fans." They're just people looking for a cool place to hook up with other people, or for a place to use to impress their business contacts. Most of them will never be "fans" and if the Hawks hit the skids, they'll stop going to games because the UC ain't all "charming" like Wrigley.

I'm sure the Hawks' recent trouble, especially at home, has McD sweating bb's, thinking up Plan B to get people into the UC if the team isn't winning.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As much as people will think I'm nuts for saying this, I wish we had the old Q back--the one that would send Kane and Buff to the pressbox for a shitty game.

As RK has said, we may not have the depth of talent to win on talent alone, but we have the talent and it seems a lot of our "regulars" aren't stepping up...

Right now, I'd fully take another loss if it meant Keith had to sit in the pressbox and try to remember how to pass. Ditto for Kopecky and Brouwer.

I think at this point he has to channel his inner Ditka today and tomorrow. The entire team has been stinking it up and someone heeds to give thse guys the message that the cup parade is over.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:

The majority of fans there are going to typically be your 'casual fan'. They're there to drink and socialize and just be out and about. The game is secondary to them. Last Wednesday at the New Jersey game I sat next to a couple - they were on a date and the girl was very dressed up. She was hot but had one of those Fran Dresser voices and kept asking the silliest of questions (i.e. is Niemi playing tonight? why does New Jersey have 5 guys out there and the Hawks only have 4?). So I got to listen to this all night - very annoying. If the team doesn't play up to expectations I do believe you will see these types of fans stop coming and secondary market prices will become more reasonable for the average Joe. But I would rather have prices sky high and rattle off a few more cups than go back to the old days.

Rdrhwke

Liked Posts:
comments in blue

The suits will definitely be there front and center when the team wins. No doubt about that. As far as the criticism goes, McD has not taken any crap for the team not performing up to expectations. The players and Q have been questioned, but I have yet to see one person blame McD.

I see we disagree on the organization wins championships thing, And that was Jerry Krause who said that. Krause was hated because he was an egotistical lardass that no one respected and who felt he deserved more credit for the Bull's success. Owners and people like McD get ripped on for fucking over the fans or fucking up personnel decisions in one way or another..

As far as McD being pissed off if the Hawks didn't make the playoffs. If the Hawks make a ton of money, he could care less. Remember, he came from the Cubs and how many championships did they win with him there? So long as there are asses in the seats and the money is coming in, he'll be happy.

Don't forget what he said to Rocky when he was hired.........and I quote, "I don't worry about the fans being mad, I worry when they don't care."

R K

As much as people will think I'm nuts for saying this, I wish we had the old Q back--the one that would send Kane and Buff to the pressbox for a shitty game.

As RK has said, we may not have the depth of talent to win on talent alone, but we have the talent and it seems a lot of our "regulars" aren't stepping up...

Right now, I'd fully take another loss if it meant Keith had to sit in the pressbox and try to remember how to pass. Ditto for Kopecky and Brouwer.

I think at this point he has to channel his inner Ditka today and tomorrow. The entire team has been stinking it up and someone heeds to give thse guys the message that the cup parade is over.

If the time on the road doesn't do it something will have to give. This team is a very good road team. They appear to lose the pressure of the home fans for some reason.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The majority of fans there are going to typically be your 'casual fan'. They're there to drink and socialize and just be out and about. The game is secondary to them. Last Wednesday at the New Jersey game I sat next to a couple - they were on a date and the girl was very dressed up. She was hot but had one of those Fran Dresser voices and kept asking the silliest of questions (i.e. is Niemi playing tonight? why does New Jersey have 5 guys out there and the Hawks only have 4?). So I got to listen to this all night - very annoying. If the team doesn't play up to expectations I do believe you will see these types of fans stop coming and secondary market prices will become more reasonable for the average Joe. But I would rather have prices sky high and rattle off a few more cups than go back to the old days.

True, but at some point everyone here: you, RK, myself, havoc, PMXC, et al were a new fans and did wonder why one team had 5 and the other have 4, why the goalie was skating to the bench in the middle of play, etc.

I personally find it my duy to educate these fans rathe than belittle them. People get into hockey at many different ages and I think it doesn't matter if they're 5 or 50--if they just started out watching the sport, better err on the side of niceness and educate rather than belittle.

If they truly want to get into it, they will, if they are on the bandwagon, they'll jump off.

R K

Can someone educate Ohalleran that when a player not only HOLDS THE PUCK, but skates 15ft with it, it's a penalty?

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
The suits will definitely be there front and center when the team wins. No doubt about that. As far as the criticism goes, McD has not taken any crap for the team not performing up to expectations. The players and Q have been questioned, but I have yet to see one person blame McD.

I see we disagree on the organization wins championships thing, And that was Jerry Krause who said that. Krause was hated because he was an egotistical lardass that no one respected and who felt he deserved more credit for the Bull's success. Owners and people like McD get ripped on for fucking over the fans or fucking up personnel decisions in one way or another..

As far as McD being pissed off if the Hawks didn't make the playoffs. If the Hawks make a ton of money, he could care less. Remember, he came from the Cubs and how many championships did they win with him there? So long as there are asses in the seats and the money is coming in, he'll be happy.

Don't forget what he said to Rocky when he was hired.........and I quote, "I don't worry about the fans being mad, I worry when they don't care."

Yeah you're right - good points all around.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
True, but at some point everyone here: you, RK, myself, havoc, PMXC, et al were a new fans and did wonder why one team had 5 and the other have 4, why the goalie was skating to the bench in the middle of play, etc.

I personally find it my duy to educate these fans rathe than belittle them. People get into hockey at many different ages and I think it doesn't matter if they're 5 or 50--if they just started out watching the sport, better err on the side of niceness and educate rather than belittle.

If they truly want to get into it, they will, if they are on the bandwagon, they'll jump off.

I agree with this. I don't mind "stupid" questions because to me it at least indicates that the person asking them is interested enough to want to know something about the game. That person is a potential fan. Heck, I took my mom and her husband to the Atlanta game Saturday. It was their first hockey game ever and yes, they asked "stupid" questions. But they were so geeked about the speed of the game and the skill of the players that she called me afterward to ask if there's some way she can learn more about the rules, and to say they're going to go to another Thrashers game so they can pay better attention "when it's less crowded." (LOL.) Some of these new fans at the UC will fall in love with the game. I don't mind that at all.

canucklehead

Liked Posts:
The problem with bandwagon fans is that they create a vicious cycle. They drive up prices when the team is winning, but kill the atmosphere, causing the team to fall off in their own production and start losing. This causes the bandwagoners to leave, causing prices to fall, allowing for more real fans to get to games. But then the real fans improve the atmosphere, causing the bandwagon interest to rise and once again raise prices, outpricing real fans, killing the atmosphere, causing losing, ad nauseum. sure some of them fall in love, learn the sport and become true fans, but it gets ridiculous.

Shredder

Liked Posts:
Fucking brutal third period by the Hawks. If it wasn't defensive breakdowns or turnovers, it was penalties. And one night after supposedly "breaking out", we get zero points from Kane and Toews while Sharp is now goalless in five. Toews has finished a game pointless 53% of the time this season. Hossa may get a pass in his first game back, but if the above mentioned quartet don't do it, nobody will.

Once more we ship two goals in quick succession to completely concede momentum in a game. Seems like that's happened about ten times already this season. Time and again the defense just caves. The team's GAA is now an even 3.00, up by more than a fifth compared to last season. We've allowed less than two goals three times in 17 games and don't have a single shutout so far.

The Oilers have now taken 40% of their points against the Hawks. If the powerplay hadn't been clicking the way it has so far, we'd be right there with the Devils and Sabres jockeying for position in the basement of the league...

TJD

I think a lot of us are unhappy because we've been through the tough times (90's and early/late 2000's) with some shitty teams, and we all of a sudden had a quality team for 3 years that eventually won the cup, and now we are about average. I wouldn't say we are the best team in the NHL obviously, but we are not bottom feeders either.

It's still early in the season, so I'm not going to even throw in the towel yet. I would though, like to see more "effort" and being more aggressive during games instead of the last 5 minutes of the 3rd when we realize we're not going to get some easy goals like we used to.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I dont buy the "lack of effort" argument, these guys both care and are trying hard, just not getting the results. Sometimes thats the worse where you try harder and it looks even worse out there, lacking results. I don't really question Toews, Kane, Sharp or any of the returners "hearts" after seeing them play for several years now simply because they didnt get on the scoresheet. No one loves getting on the scoresheet more than Kane...and no one competes harder than Toews. As far as the new guys, Skill, Dowell, Pisani all play hard....Stalberg has been fitting in as well. Its just timing and chemistry....and IMO, after Bolland returns...they need 1 third liner to step up - or I think they need to go out and get. I don't think Bickell's the answer there.

Habby played well last nite and it was 2 goals in 14 seconds that cost them. He robbed Toews, Seabrook, Brouwer specifically I can remember. Nevermind the clutch/grab that EDM got away....throw in 3 PP's in the last 16minutes of the game - at the 5, 7 and 11 minute marks...its hard to handle that. There were times the puck was all over the EDM zone, much like last year.

The team is not that far away.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
The team is not that far away.

I hope you're right but 4-6 on home ice and 3 of those losses to bottom feeding teams does not bode well. Last year if I recall correctly the Hawks only lost 8 game on home ice the entire season. We've now lost 6 already and it's early November. Yikes!