The 2012 Chicago White Sox Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
sure but as a whole the last couple of years he has been this player that we are seeing now. is it because of his slot? dunno. but all I know is Id like to leave him be since youk has been sick in the 2 hole.

I'm not saying to move him. My point is that he's not a terrible player. Most 9th place hitters aren't going to be that good. Joe just fails to understand that and wants a worse player to play for him.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying to move him. My point is that he's not a terrible player. Most 9th place hitters aren't going to be that good. Joe just fails to understand that and wants a worse player to play for him.

fans need to realize that most contenders dont have konerko like numbers in the 9 hole. his defense is stellar.

Sent from my USCfans guide to being an uneducated baseball fan using Tapatalk

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
fans need to realize that most contenders dont have konerko like numbers in the 9 hole. his defense is stellar.

And he's not even that bad of a hitter. Better than Nick Swisher was.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And he's not even that bad of a hitter. Better than Nick Swisher was.

well what he was when he was here. but swisher overall is a better hitter

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beckham's AVG this year: .228

List of players that have hit under .230 since 2000:
Carlos Pena TBR (2010)
Mark Reynolds ARI (2010)
Aaron Hill TOR (2010)
Pat Burrell PHI (2003)
Nick Punto MIN (2007)
Jeromy Burnitz NYM (2002)
Desi Relaford PHI/SDP (2000)
Jose Valentin CHW (2004)
Ray Durham SFG (2007)
Nick Swisher CHW (2008)
Clint Barmes COL (2006)
Andruw Jones ATL (2007)
Jose Hernandez COL/CHI/PIT (2003)
Ramon Santiago DET (2003)
Daric Barton OAK (2008)
Carlos Pena TBR (2009)
Tim Salmon ANA (2001)
Matt Stairs OAK (2000)
Alex Gonzalez CHC (2003)
Royce Clayton MIL (2003)
Michael Bourn HOU (2008)
Brad Ausmus HOU (2003)
Cesar Izturis BAL (2010)
Brandon Inge DET (2009)
Brad Ausmus HOU (2006)
Scott Brosius NYY (2000)

That also doesn't include any players from last year.

But Beckham isn't a "major league hitter". He's not the best hitter in the world, but he is a major league player and hits a lot better than you ever will. He's fine.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beckham's AVG this year: .228

List of players that have hit under .230 since 2000:
Carlos Pena TBR (2010)
Mark Reynolds ARI (2010)
Aaron Hill TOR (2010)
Pat Burrell PHI (2003)
Nick Punto MIN (2007)
Jeromy Burnitz NYM (2002)
Desi Relaford PHI/SDP (2000)
Jose Valentin CHW (2004)
Ray Durham SFG (2007)
Nick Swisher CHW (2008)
Clint Barmes COL (2006)
Andruw Jones ATL (2007)
Jose Hernandez COL/CHI/PIT (2003)
Ramon Santiago DET (2003)
Daric Barton OAK (2008)
Carlos Pena TBR (2009)
Tim Salmon ANA (2001)
Matt Stairs OAK (2000)
Alex Gonzalez CHC (2003)
Royce Clayton MIL (2003)
Michael Bourn HOU (2008)
Brad Ausmus HOU (2003)
Cesar Izturis BAL (2010)
Brandon Inge DET (2009)
Brad Ausmus HOU (2006)
Scott Brosius NYY (2000)

That also doesn't include any players from last year.

But Beckham isn't a "major league hitter". He's not the best hitter in the world, but he is a major league player and hits a lot better than you ever will. He's fine.

lol wut? brent morel can hit better than all of us, whats your point?

fuck BA especially when your career OBP is .310 and thats a bit nice since his .347 OBP from 09 affects his career obp.

since 2010

.237/.298 thats not very good.

career
.244/.310

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol wut? brent morel can hit better than all of us, whats your point?

fuck BA especially when your career OBP is .310 and thats a bit nice since his .347 OBP from 09 affects his career obp.

since 2010

.237/.298 thats not very good.

career
.244/.310

That's because he bats ninth in the order. He's not going to get pitched around and be able to take walks.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this bench is really really bad.

hudson-not good
danks-not good
olemedo-bad

anyone pining for johnson should probably stop. Just researched his whole career per fangraphs and baseball ref. looking at every facet there is no hope for him on an MLB roster. He is a career minor leaguer who does quite well all the time in AAA. In the pros, he is bad.

We need a bench piece soon.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this bench is really really bad.

hudson-not good
danks-not good
olemedo-bad

anyone pining for johnson should probably stop. Just researched his whole career per fangraphs and baseball ref. looking at every facet there is no hope for him on an MLB roster. He is a career minor leaguer who does quite well all the time in AAA. In the pros, he is bad.

We need a bench piece soon.

Well you're not getting Abreu who you love for some dumb reason.

The biggest need on the bench is a utility guy. Trading Escobar is coming back to bite the Sox. Hudson and Olmedo are bad. Danks is meh.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The biggest need on the bench is a utility guy. Trading Escobar is coming back to bite the Sox. Hudson and Olmedo are bad. Danks is meh.

dumb reason? how about a vet that can get on base. a player that on the bench cannot do. oh but danks has speed and stuff. danks is not good. not for a playoff contender in the dog days of august when guys wear down, hudson sucks, and olemedo is really bad. no depth can be a factor in whether we make the playoffs or not. who would I rather have in a sunday lineup??? abreu or danks....il take abreu all day long. I have no clue what your :fap: is with danks but he isnt good.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:

I dont regret the deal that sent him away, but I do miss him. I dont have his WAR handy but IMO his is definitely belo replacement level and thus can be easily replaced.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
dumb reason? how about a vet that can get on base. a player that on the bench cannot do. oh but danks has speed and stuff. danks is not good. not for a playoff contender in the dog days of august when guys wear down, hudson sucks, and olemedo is really bad. no depth can be a factor in whether we make the playoffs or not. who would I rather have in a sunday lineup??? abreu or danks....il take abreu all day long. I have no clue what your :fap: is with danks but he isnt good.

Abreu is old and you're not going to get him because he accepted to be optioned to AAA by the Dodgers.

Abreu was a good player in his prime. He would've been a great pickup a year or two ago. Now he's old. You have nobody to use for PR then and there's no guarantee that he'll even be good off the bench.

The bench isn't good, but there isn't much that could be done to improve it. Most teams don't have good benches. It's just something the White Sox have to deal with. This team is a still a wild card team. Stop getting your panties in a bunch.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont regret the deal that sent him away, but I do miss him. I dont have his WAR handy but IMO his is definitely belo replacement level and thus can be easily replaced.

His WAR is probably something negative to be honest just because he's a bench guy and bench players don't have good WARs.

Edit: WAR is -0.1 with the White Sox this year.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
His WAR is probably something negative to be honest just because he's a bench guy and bench players don't have good WARs.

Edit: WAR is -0.1 with the White Sox this year.

was kinda what I was expecting, only his is actually slightly better than what I had in my head

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i can handle a debate on abreu to get or not to get and can respect opinions opposite mine. but when we are talking about WAR i will just step away as too many people in this world are using this highly flawed metric alone in evaluations and now using it for bench players....lol....pass.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i can handle a debate on abreu to get or not to get and can respect opinions opposite mine. but when we are talking about WAR i will just step away as too many people in this world are using this highly flawed metric alone in evaluations and now using it for bench players....lol....pass.

I don't like it for a certain player and using that only.

Great baseball ref article about how to use it correctly though http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2012/08/the-relationship-between-war-and-team-wins/

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
one issue with Dan Johnson coming up is that he is NOT on the 40 man and in order to do that we would have to DFA someone due to no space available. just some food for thought

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Richard Justice‏@richardjustice

Don Cooper anyone? White Sox lead MLB with 859 quality starts since start of 2003. Angels have 856. In 2012, Angels have 66, Sox 65.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Richard Justice‏@richardjustice

Don Cooper anyone? White Sox lead MLB with 859 quality starts since start of 2003. Angels have 856. In 2012, Angels have 66, Sox 65.

Wow... better than Dave Duncan too? Never would have guessed that. Most underrated coach in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.