The Bears next starting Quarterback might be playing tonight....

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
We have to lock this kid down come draft time. Short of an unlikely blockbuster deal moving us into the top 3 and drafting Wilson or Fields, Jones is our guy. Anywhere from 12 to 20 he will fall.... and we have to be willing to do what’s necessary to get the guy. We definitely have enough trade capital to move from 20 to 12 if it means the difference between getting or losing the guy.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How's about they just bring in a bevy of UDFA QBs and let em battle it out a'la the kicker competition?

Zero risk, cheap as rocks, & could end up making a great feel-good Disney sports movie in 15-20 years if one of em pans out for even a few seasons until a top QB can be drafted once this T, WR, and coaching void is filled w/ NFL talent.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Glennon? Did I see a reference to him regarding Mack Jones?

Jones is better both in the pocket and athletically.

SMH

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have to lock this kid down come draft time. Short of an unlikely blockbuster deal moving us into the top 3 and drafting Wilson or Fields, Jones is our guy. Anywhere from 12 to 20 he will fall.... and we have to be willing to do what’s necessary to get the guy. We definitely have enough trade capital to move from 20 to 12 if it means the difference between getting or losing the guy.

Trading up for players like Jones is what gets GM's fired

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Trading up for players like Jones is what gets GM's fired
The Bears are not giving up the farm for him. It killed me when Bears gave up an extra 3rd and 4th for Mitch instead of getting Watson.

If Champ Kelly goes, the Bears do have an extra 3rd to go up 6-7 spots to get him. Don’t give up the farm to get him.

Let’s the Bears get a mostly finished product instead of a developmental QB like Lance. Jones has a quick release, accurate arm, moves in pocket well, goes through progressions, and knows how to win.

He can start almost right away with the Bears. That’s a bonus. I don’t want Foles starting 1st game next year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I probably get a pre-deal going into draft day to jump from #20 to #10, or thereabouts, in case a big QB falls, which seems fairly likely. People forget that not every team that needs a QB drafts a QB with their first pick. Look at recent history.

How much would such a move cost?

Well, the Texans jumped from #25 to #12 to snag Deshaun Watson by trading picks with the Browns and giving away their next-year's first rounder.

And the Chiefs jumped from #27 to #10 to grab Patrick Mahomes by trading picks with the Bills, and giving away a separate first and third rounder.

Let's take a fun look at the draft order, just for shits and giggles.

1) Jags - Getting Lawrence
2) Jets - Maybe getting Fields
3) Dolphins - Sticking with Tua
4) Falcons - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution doesn't believe they're getting a QB, citing Matt Ryan's $40 mil they're on the hook for next year, and the fact that the owner wants to win now and likes Ryan.
5) Bengals - Sticking with Burrow
6) Eagles - Sticking with Hurts
7) Lions - Are they ready to move on from Matt Stafford? Maybe.
8) Panthers - They just signed Bridgewater, a $23 million a year QB.
9) Broncos - Local reporters seem to think they're planning on surrounding Lock with talent, but I can't say I think it'd be a good idea to stick with Lock....
10) Cowboys - Is Dak coming back?

When you look at it like that, I could easily see some big-name QBs potentially falling into the double digits and prime for trade-ups.

Last edited:

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
He is a solid QB, I wouldn’t be unhappy if the Bears got him at 20. But with the current OL I think he would get killed.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He is a solid QB, I wouldn’t be unhappy if the Bears got him at 20. But with the current OL I think he would get killed.
Eh, that can be fixed. The interior is serviceable, and will improve with Daniels coming back. They can draft OT in the 2nd-its a deep OT class. The key will be if they can shed some overpriced contracts off the books.

I disagree with the sentiment that they need to fix everything before they get the QB. That is what has haunted the Bears for decades. It is easier to fix OL than find a QB who may have something. If the QB position doesn’t get settled, it doesn’t matter how strong or perfect the supporting cast is. Bears fans, more than any other fans, should understand this by now.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not saying this is right, but here's a take:

" WalterFootball.com sought opinions on Jones from five different teams regarding the 2021 NFL Draft. Three had a fourth-round grade on Jones, one had him on the bubble between Rounds 2 and 3, and one team gave him a second-round grade. An AFC general manager said the second round was too high for Jones, calling him a mid-round talent, so opinions vary on Jones across the league."

Further on in the article, scouts compared him to a shorter AJ McCarron and/or Matt Barkley.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I really like his mental processor. The guy is fast mentally - goes through ALL of his progressions rapidly.

Much better than what we currently have

I mean... who’s not open lol.

goes through his progressions. He can take a nap with all the time he gets.
Gimme leatherwood at 20

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Not saying this is right, but here's a take:

" WalterFootball.com sought opinions on Jones from five different teams regarding the 2021 NFL Draft. Three had a fourth-round grade on Jones, one had him on the bubble between Rounds 2 and 3, and one team gave him a second-round grade. An AFC general manager said the second round was too high for Jones, calling him a mid-round talent, so opinions vary on Jones across the league."

Further on in the article, scouts compared him to a shorter AJ McCarron and/or Matt Barkley.
Matt Leinart as well perhaps? Mark Sanchez? There's a long list of guys who had success in college thanks in large part to a whole heaping helping of NFL talent around them.

If it's Mac Jones in the 1st or Brock Purdy in the 3rd/4th, I'm taking Purdy and grabbing a future mainstay at OL with the 1st.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
I really like his mental processor. The guy is fast mentally - goes through ALL of his progressions rapidly.

Much better than what we currently have

And that is the understatement of this century. I know it's early, but I'm putting money on it.

If Mac Jones is still there at 20 and I have no opinion if he will or won't be...we have to get him.

I don't give a shit if he doesn't have a good enough arm or if he's too slow or he you can't judge him cause of the team he was on or if he has a horrible combine or if he can't jump. Just get a guy who can see the field and makes good decisions quickly.

Last edited:

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
I should say that I don't really know what I'm talking about...I haven't seen a lot of this guy but having said that...we can't go into next season w/out drafting a QB and he looks to be the best one available at 20. If it's a roll of the dice then we gotta roll the dice.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
This is why Sid Luckman is the best QB the team has ever had. No one is a sure thing as a prospect, including Trevor Lawrence. Draft a freaking QB early all the time if needed until you hit on one.

I can see it now, they will draft Ian Book in the 7th, Foles or some other overpriced vet will lead the team to 7-9, and people next year will be against drafting a QB because they want to save draft capital, or it’s not a good QB class, or pining for the Bears to take that ILB who is really special. This is why the last franchise QB the Bears had was during the time my grandfather was fighting in WW II.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Eh, that can be fixed. The interior is serviceable, and will improve with Daniels coming back. They can draft OT in the 2nd-its a deep OT class. The key will be if they can shed some overpriced contracts off the books.

I disagree with the sentiment that they need to fix everything before they get the QB. That is what has haunted the Bears for decades. It is easier to fix OL than find a QB who may have something. If the QB position doesn’t get settled, it doesn’t matter how strong or perfect the supporting cast is. Bears fans, more than any other fans, should understand this by now.

Good post. Totally agree

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
And that is the understatement of this century. I know it's early, but I'm putting money on it.

If Mac Jones is still there at 20 and I have no opinion if he will or won't be...we have to get him.

I don't give a shit if he doesn't have a good enough arm or if he's too slow or he you can't judge him cause of the team he was on or if he has a horrible combine or if he can't jump. Just get a guy who can see the field and makes good decisions quickly.

Totally agree

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
This is why Sid Luckman is the best QB the team has ever had. No one is a sure thing as a prospect, including Trevor Lawrence. Draft a freaking QB early all the time if needed until you hit on one.

I can see it now, they will draft Ian Book in the 7th, Foles or some other overpriced vet will lead the team to 7-9, and people next year will be against drafting a QB because they want to save draft capital, or it’s not a good QB class, or pining for the Bears to take that ILB who is really special. This is why the last franchise QB the Bears had was during the time my grandfather was fighting in WW II.

True.... so true. Keep at it till we get it right. It is, afterall, the most important position in the game of football.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
This Mackie Jones can be elite at the next level. Reminds me of Osweiler.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is who you're banging the drum for lol

ElI_yxbX0AASBbQ.jpeg