The Big Trade Up Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 20, 52, 1[2022] and 1[2023] to the Atlanta Falcons for 1[4] and a 5th round pick.

1[1] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] NY Jets: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]
1[3] San Francisco 49ers [Mia]: QB Mac Jones [Alabama]

1[4] QB Justin Fields [Ohio St] 6'3" 230lbs.

Justin Fields is a super exciting prospect. He combines incredible athletic tools, really good accuracy, and a ton of big game and big moment experience. He is as physically gifted a QB in this class and gives the Bears a QB prospect with a sky high ceiling and that could be an elite player at the position. The Bears trade a boatload to get him, a fortune, but really what option do they have? Try and find gold with a much lesser prospect in round 2 or 3? Continue to roll out mediocre QBs with no upside? Continue to have everything in place except a QB that can execute at a high level? The Bears are desperate for a QB and if Fields misses we are heading to a nuclear rebuild anyway.

article-696x392-5f3b6bf011be204e25b6cb92477e9950.jpg

3[83] WR Amari Rodgers [Clemson] 5'9" 212lbs.

The Bears appear to be done with Anthony Miller and he has never really become a consistent contributor, but it leads them in need of a slot WR that can generate big plays an YAC, something the offense has been missing. Rodgers has good speed and is built like a RB and runs like it once he has the ball. He is the type of player that can thrive and produce with short passes, jet sweeps, and even snaps at RB. Rodgers has experience lining up all over the offense and can give the Bears a versatile and dynamic player who can maximize the 4--50 targets he is likely to get.

Amari-Rodgers.jpg

5. CB Camryn Bynum [Cal] 6' 200lbs.

The Bears need options at CB and Bynum is a solid player that should come in and compete. He has good, not great physical tools, and he comes from a well coached defense. He has the size the Bears could use competiing on the outside and developing behind Trufant. Ideally, they would add a CB higher than this to compete, but the focus needs to be on getting the offense to un-suck and that comes at the expense of the defense.

GettyImages-842659620-e1599444231117.jpg

5. OT Dan Moore Texas A&M] 6'6" 309lbs.

The Bears need to add developmental OT talent and ensure that they are never running out of OLmen. One of the issues during the Mitch tenure is that the OL was never good, they were not terrible outside of a stretch in 2019, but they were never good. The Bears need to start developing players that could be an upgrade from Leno and Ifedi at OT. Moore has the height, length and feet to be a starting NFL OT. He gets some time to develop with Castillo and can compete when ready. With limited premium picks in future years finding a cheap replacement for Ifedi or Leno would allow money to be diverted to areas where picks cannot be spent.

usatsi_11240769.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade WR Anthony Miller to the Baltimore Ravens for a 5th round pick.

5. TE Kenny Yeboah [Ole Miss] 6'4" 245lbs.

The Bears current U TE is a horrendously over paid geriatric who cannot run at all anymore. The fact that Graham is still on the roster is a shock, but it also gives the Bears a year to develop a young and cheap player in the U spot. Yeboah has some rough edges, but he has the physical tools and receiving ability to develop into a U TE. With very little depth and the team playing more 12 personnel, this pick is about making sure you do not need to alter the offense if Graham is injured or needs to be put on a snap count. Yeboah can block, he started his career at Temple where you pretty much have to, but I would not call it his greatest strength.

092620_florida_FB_4532.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade QB Nick Foles to the Denver Broncos for a conditional 5th round pick in 2022.

6. WR Marlon Williams [UCF] 6' 222lbs.

The Bears need a WR 5 that has a skill set they do not have and that can play special teams. Williams is built like a RB playing WR and he is really powerful and physical after the catch. On offense he can bring a bruising style that the Bears do not really have. He also has the size and temperament to be a special teams contributor in the WR core which the Bears do not have.

6WEXK57CVZGKJCFNRBR5OHAHPM.jpg

6. NT Naquan Jones [Michigan St] 6'4" 328lbs.

The Bears are spending too much on the DL and they need a cheap NT that can eat some snaps and take some of the beating off of Eddie Goldman. He does not need to rush the passer, he does not need to play a ton, he just needs to be big and hard to move. Jones is that. He likely is never going to be an adequate NFL pass rusher, but the Bears simply need him to be John Jenkins.

4299-15937-original.jpeg

6. C Jimmy Morrisey [Pitt] 6'3" 300lbs.

The Bears have a lot of Cs on the roster that are better at OG and they need to ensure that an injury to Musitpher doesn't cause a massive line shift. Morrisey is a lunch pale type of pivot with good size and movement skills. He is a solid pass protector and based on his experience should hopefully be able to make the active roster. He had a really impressive 3 cone time, which is a good test when it comes to playing C in a zone heavy scheme. With this expensive new QB the Bears can simply not go to the street or the PR to start guys in front of him.

3389383_web1_gtr-morrisseyKO-112520.jpg

6. ILB Justin Hilliard [Ohio St] 6'1" 233lbs.

The Bears need to get some backup ILB options that are not named Iggy or Woods, they are both terrible. Hilliard can run, he is a reliable tackler, and while he was over shadowed at Ohio St by other LBs he should be able to play special teams and some day take a crack at defense. Christian Jones becomes the primary backup, but the Bears need more options with Trevathan staring over the cliff.

8740331.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Dalton, Fields
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Pierce
WR: Robinson, Mooney, Rodgers, Goodwin, Ridley, Williams
TE: Kmet, Graham, Yeboah, Holtz
LT: Leno, Moore
LG: Whitehair
C: Mustipher, Morrisey
RG: Daniels, Bars
RT: Ifedi, Wilkerson

RE: Nichols, Edwards
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, Blackson
OLB: Attouchu, Quinn, Gipson
ILB: Smith, Hilliard, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Jones
OLB: Mack, Vaughters
CB: Johnson, Trufant, Bynum, Vildor, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Gipson, Bush

K: Santo
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why would anyone trade a 5th for AntMill?

I'm not really on board the BIG TRADE myself but if they do it Fields is the guy to do it for. I'd hate it for Lance.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Why would anyone trade a 5th for AntMill?

I'm not really on board the BIG TRADE myself but if they do it Fields is the guy to do it for. I'd hate it for Lance.
A lot of people said the same thing about Herbert last year.

If there's a QB they have a first round grade on who's there then they have to move heaven and earth to pull it off. Those guys don't usually make it out of the top 10 anymore... let alone to 20.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
That's a draft day shocker for sure. 3 1sts and a 2nd to move up 16 spots. That's a kings ransom. I could stomach it without the 2013 1st.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Fields' play against Clemson (especially after he took that shot to the ribs) made me a believer.

Rodgers is going to be a play maker. He's smart, talented, versatile and already carries himself like a professional. His dad is the Raven's WR coach. He won't be overwhelmed by the NFL. I think he starts in the slot day 1.

Moore and Bynam have a ton of experience and are great examples of the depth at OT and CB in this draft.

Yeboah can catch the football and is talented.

Marlon Williams was the 2020 Gabriel Davis for UCF. Jacob Harris is another ascending UCF WR (or possibly TE) with a great attitude and off the charts measurables. He could fit this draft slot too.

I don't know anything about the Pitt Center or the Nose Tackle but they fill backup needs. So would Hilliard at ILB.

I really like this draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A lot of people said the same thing about Herbert last year.

If there's a QB they have a first round grade on who's there then they have to move heaven and earth to pull it off. Those guys don't usually make it out of the top 10 anymore... let alone to 20.

Herbert has absolutely nothing to do with this.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
What have I missed about Atlanta's QB issues that they're willing to give up on taking Fields?

Lots of NFL people have discussed this topic on NFL Network radio. The narrative is Matt Ryan probably has 3 to 4 more productive years left.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Cool. I think Marlon Williams is basically a worse version of Amari Rodgers, though.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Cool. I think Marlon Williams is basically a worse version of Amari Rodgers, though.

He's not. He primarily played outside at UCF. Rodgers can play outside, in the slot and out of the backfield. He molds his game (not attitude) after Percy Harvin.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lots of NFL people have discussed this topic on NFL Network radio. The narrative is Matt Ryan probably has 3 to 4 more productive years left.

I wonder what they could have gotten in a trade for Ryan? For the right price I might have drafted the QB and traded Ryan in their case. I mean he's still a good QB but at 35 Father Time will catch up soon. (They all can't be freaks like Brady)

Nelly

Liked Posts:
This is cool and all but there's no way. Pace would trade up for Mac Jones, Kyle Trask or Davis Mills but not Justin Fields because reliable sources have confirmed that Ryan Pace is, undoubtedly, a blatant racist. Ryan Pace would rather lose 16 games with a white QB than have a non-white QB suit up for his team. Dude might as well be wearing his klansman outfit around Halas Hall.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's not. He primarily played outside at UCF. Rodgers can play outside, in the slot and out of the backfield. He molds his game (not attitude) after Percy Harvin.
I've seen plenty on Williams, he's really a mediocre athlete who's only option in the NFL is as a big slot imo.

If you're going Rodgers early I'd rather a more talented project who has x receiver upside in the 6th.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I've seen plenty on Williams, he's really a mediocre athlete who's only option in the NFL is as a big slot imo.

If you're going Rodgers early I'd rather a more talented project who has x receiver upside in the 6th.

I went to UCF and watch all of their games. He might have to play the slot but he's nothing like Rodgers. Austin Watkins is probably a better pick here.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I went to UCF and watch all of their games. He might have to play the slot but he's nothing like Rodgers. Austin Watkins is probably a better pick here.
Yes Watkins is the better player and I think he's gone by R6. To me, while Rodgers might be able to play on the outside a little, he's going to be in the slot 80% of the time or more. That's what I meant, why 2 guys who are primarily slot WRs?

I'd compare them both as YAC-oriented players too who have RB bodies, but you're right that their games are different.

I was offered a job at UCF once.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
I wonder what they could have gotten in a trade for Ryan? For the right price I might have drafted the QB and traded Ryan in their case. I mean he's still a good QB but at 35 Father Time will catch up soon. (They all can't be freaks like Brady)
They just adjusted Ryan's contract. He is their starting QB for 21 and 22. Maybe even 23. Atlanta is taking Pitts or Chase if they don't trade down.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Yes Watkins is the better player and I think he's gone by R6. To me, while Rodgers might be able to play on the outside a little, he's going to be in the slot 80% of the time or more. That's what I meant, why 2 guys who are primarily slot WRs?

I'd compare them both as YAC-oriented players too who have RB bodies, but you're right that their games are different.

I was offered a job at UCF once.

It's hotter than hell in Central Florida and the back part of that campus was basically a swamp before they built it out. I enjoyed going to school there. I had a great experience. What kind of job if that's cool?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They just adjusted Ryan's contract. He is their starting QB for 21 and 22. Maybe even 23. Atlanta is taking Pitts or Chase if they don't trade down.

Well aware of this.... I said I wondered what they COULD have gotten.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not about giving up so much compensation for unproven talent at the NFL level, but I would be extremely happy with this whole draft scenario