The Big Trade Up Draft

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
This would be a win, IMO.

Here are the Bears options:

Make a massive trade up like this for a QB
Hope Fields/Mac falls to about 10 or so, and trade up to that spot
Take someone like Trask/Mills at #20 or wait until the 2nd or later to pick a QB
Kick the can down the road and attack the QB position next year

Option 2 is unrealistic and relying on too many variables. Options 3 and 4 are trash as well. A massive trade up makes sense if it gets you a talent like Fields.
For Fields I'm all in. Worry about the cost later. 10+ year QB. Sure looks like a larger version of Watson. He is a bad ass. After the Clemson game I was sold.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't even care what happens after, if they get Fields, it's a good draft.

You worried at all about him locking on his first target and waiting too long to throw the ball cause i see that as his biggest issue by far? Kinda scary for me when you don't see a QB that goes through his progressions very much at all.

Let me put this out there before some jump all over this. I know there is tape of him going through his progressions, i'm just saying there's much more tape of him locking onto his first target and staying on that target and not going to the next one when the first isn't open.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You worried at all about him locking on his first target and waiting too long to throw the ball cause i see that as his biggest issue by far? Kinda scary for me when you don't see a QB that goes through his progressions very much at all.

Eh, not really. I don't really see it as him locking onto his first target, necessarily. I think it's more of him predetermining where he wants to go with the ball. Even when he does go thru progressions, it feels more like him using it to look off defenders or just buy time until the first guy comes open. And he has the arm and accuracy to make most of those throws. But it's a plus that he can manipulate safeties.

I don't feel like it's a case of him not being able to read a defense. You don't see much of him getting tricked by the coverage. For instance, we saw Mitch know where he wanted to go with the ball, but get hesitant because of the defensive look and hold onto the ball. Fields definitely does hold onto the ball too long also. Most of his INTs came under pressure and due to him holding onto the ball too long and trying to do too much. I do worry a little that he won't have Rutgers and Purdues of the world on his schedule where his OL can dominate so he can sit back and wait for things to develop. But I do think that he has an opportunity to actually use his legs more when things do break down.

I'm sure he'll have some adjustment to the speed of the game, but I do think it will be a quick transition. And I think you can get his clock going a little faster thru progressions when he adjusts to those edge rushers barrelling down on him.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Sign me the efffff up

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For Fields 3 1sts and 3rd this year. If need be a 2nd next year. I would do it I. A heartbeat. Get a tackle or WR in 2nd and BPA through draft.

This draft has a lot of talent but unknowns as well. This is where you can get a 2nd round talent. In 4-7 rounds due to Covid restricted season.

For a 6th rounder to pan out is like opening a cereal box and finding the transformer toy you wanted in the box.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This is cool and all but there's no way. Pace would trade up for Mac Jones, Kyle Trask or Davis Mills but not Justin Fields because reliable sources have confirmed that Ryan Pace is, undoubtedly, a blatant racist. Ryan Pace would rather lose 16 games with a white QB than have a non-white QB suit up for his team. Dude might as well be wearing his klansman outfit around Halas Hall.
Another bullshit narrative. Must be a libtard.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's hotter than hell in Central Florida and the back part of that campus was basically a swamp before they built it out. I enjoyed going to school there. I had a great experience. What kind of job if that's cool?
It's crazy how much that whole area has grown. Oviedo is basically unrecognizable from what it was like 10-15 years ago.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A lot of people said the same thing about Herbert last year.

If there's a QB they have a first round grade on who's there then they have to move heaven and earth to pull it off. Those guys don't usually make it out of the top 10 anymore... let alone to 20.
Move heaven and earth to get to top 10 for a qb with a first round grade? No. Not for Lance.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why would anyone trade a 5th for AntMill?

I'm not really on board the BIG TRADE myself but if they do it Fields is the guy to do it for. I'd hate it for Lance.
We can be down on Miller and we have reason to be. But if we traded a fifth round pick and got a guy with his skills we’d be thrilled

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It's crazy how much that whole area has grown. Oviedo is basically unrecognizable from what it was like 10-15 years ago.

Yes, the growth is crazy. I lived off Alafaya Trail when I went to UCF and I don’t recognize anything now.

Do you remember The Oviedo Inn? It was the place to eat breakfast in a sleepy little town.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, the growth is crazy. I lived off Alafaya Trail when I went to UCF and I don’t recognize anything now.

Do you remember The Oviedo Inn? It was the place to eat breakfast in a sleepy little town.
I think I might have eaten there years ago with some friends. You still in the area?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Eh, not really. I don't really see it as him locking onto his first target, necessarily. I think it's more of him predetermining where he wants to go with the ball. Even when he does go thru progressions, it feels more like him using it to look off defenders or just buy time until the first guy comes open. And he has the arm and accuracy to make most of those throws. But it's a plus that he can manipulate safeties.

I don't feel like it's a case of him not being able to read a defense. You don't see much of him getting tricked by the coverage. For instance, we saw Mitch know where he wanted to go with the ball, but get hesitant because of the defensive look and hold onto the ball. Fields definitely does hold onto the ball too long also. Most of his INTs came under pressure and due to him holding onto the ball too long and trying to do too much. I do worry a little that he won't have Rutgers and Purdues of the world on his schedule where his OL can dominate so he can sit back and wait for things to develop. But I do think that he has an opportunity to actually use his legs more when things do break down.

I'm sure he'll have some adjustment to the speed of the game, but I do think it will be a quick transition. And I think you can get his clock going a little faster thru progressions when he adjusts to those edge rushers barrelling down on him.

Okay, it just worries me cause i saw him do it quite a bit and i don't even go and watch a ton of tape on some of these guys like you and some others do. NFL is a whole different game and he won't be able to trick the DB's like he did in college and won't have the space he had but i'm down with him being the QB we trade up for, if we trade up at all that is. I trust your opinion on these college kids more than my own so hope everyone is right if we do go up to get him cause it's gonna cost us a ton to do it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

About 10 years back Oviedo was considered the fastest growing zip code in Orlando. It's really nice out there and have a friend that just got done building a home out there about 6 months ago. He got lucky and found a house that had a ton of property which isn't easy to do in Orlando.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think I might have eaten there years ago with some friends. You still in the area?

Patsios, The best breakfast place, or was, in Orlando at 3-4 in the morning. It was on Semoran and Howell Branch in Butler Plaza. There used to be a really nice older lady that worked there named Stella. She went through hell with all the drunks but she handled it well and everyone loved her.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I just have a feeling that SF is blowing smoke, and will take Fields.

He is the only QB, I would hope that the Bears reach for.

I hope that Chicago already has a trade in place with Atlanta, IF Fields is available at 4.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Where do you come up with this crap? Reliable sources were probably CNN or MSNBC.
Nope. CNN and MSNBC are the ones who to me they had reliable sources, which is good enough for me. If you can't trust CNN or MSNBC to be fair and impartial then who can you trust? No one cares about mine, my family's and the whole of humanity's well-being more than Don Lemon and Rachel Maddow.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Fields is going to be a star. Unless he goes to the bears where qbs go to die
That's an interesting thought there. Any QB the Bears touch turns to shit. And QB that Pace brings in automatically sucks. So what would be true if Pace traded up to pick Justin Fields? Would one's opinion of Fields be lowered by the very act of Ryan Pace trading a whole lot to get him? Pace had previously traded up to get Mitch Trubisky and Leonard Floyd, and he traded a future 2nd and 4th to draft Anthony Miller. There's not a great track record for Ryan Pace trade-ups yet everyone finds themselves awfully confident that they've found the next superstar worthy of an illustrious Ryan Pace trade-up.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

Let me put this out there before some jump all over this. I know there is tape of him going through his progressions, i'm just saying there's much more tape of him locking onto his first target and staying on that target and not going to the next one when the first isn't open.

I can understand that concern, however, like you stated there is some film of him moving through his progressions well, so there is proof he is capable of doing it, and doing it well.

Then add in all the other positive traits about his game, and that he competed at the highest level, and that he has played enough games to say the film is a good representation of who he is.

I hate comparisons, but he looks and feels like Deshawn Watson to me.....

I would be willing to sell the Farm for Deshawn Watson, so taking a shot at a young version of him is a no Brainer....

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 20, 52, 1[2022] and 1[2023] to the Atlanta Falcons for 1[4] and a 5th round pick.

1[1] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] NY Jets: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]
1[3] San Francisco 49ers [Mia]: QB Mac Jones [Alabama]

1[4] QB Justin Fields [Ohio St] 6'3" 230lbs.

Justin Fields is a super exciting prospect. He combines incredible athletic tools, really good accuracy, and a ton of big game and big moment experience. He is as physically gifted a QB in this class and gives the Bears a QB prospect with a sky high ceiling and that could be an elite player at the position. The Bears trade a boatload to get him, a fortune, but really what option do they have? Try and find gold with a much lesser prospect in round 2 or 3? Continue to roll out mediocre QBs with no upside? Continue to have everything in place except a QB that can execute at a high level? The Bears are desperate for a QB and if Fields misses we are heading to a nuclear rebuild anyway.

article-696x392-5f3b6bf011be204e25b6cb92477e9950.jpg

3[83] WR Amari Rodgers [Clemson] 5'9" 212lbs.

The Bears appear to be done with Anthony Miller and he has never really become a consistent contributor, but it leads them in need of a slot WR that can generate big plays an YAC, something the offense has been missing. Rodgers has good speed and is built like a RB and runs like it once he has the ball. He is the type of player that can thrive and produce with short passes, jet sweeps, and even snaps at RB. Rodgers has experience lining up all over the offense and can give the Bears a versatile and dynamic player who can maximize the 4--50 targets he is likely to get.

Amari-Rodgers.jpg

5. CB Camryn Bynum [Cal] 6' 200lbs.

The Bears need options at CB and Bynum is a solid player that should come in and compete. He has good, not great physical tools, and he comes from a well coached defense. He has the size the Bears could use competiing on the outside and developing behind Trufant. Ideally, they would add a CB higher than this to compete, but the focus needs to be on getting the offense to un-suck and that comes at the expense of the defense.

GettyImages-842659620-e1599444231117.jpg

5. OT Dan Moore Texas A&M] 6'6" 309lbs.

The Bears need to add developmental OT talent and ensure that they are never running out of OLmen. One of the issues during the Mitch tenure is that the OL was never good, they were not terrible outside of a stretch in 2019, but they were never good. The Bears need to start developing players that could be an upgrade from Leno and Ifedi at OT. Moore has the height, length and feet to be a starting NFL OT. He gets some time to develop with Castillo and can compete when ready. With limited premium picks in future years finding a cheap replacement for Ifedi or Leno would allow money to be diverted to areas where picks cannot be spent.

usatsi_11240769.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade WR Anthony Miller to the Baltimore Ravens for a 5th round pick.

5. TE Kenny Yeboah [Ole Miss] 6'4" 245lbs.

The Bears current U TE is a horrendously over paid geriatric who cannot run at all anymore. The fact that Graham is still on the roster is a shock, but it also gives the Bears a year to develop a young and cheap player in the U spot. Yeboah has some rough edges, but he has the physical tools and receiving ability to develop into a U TE. With very little depth and the team playing more 12 personnel, this pick is about making sure you do not need to alter the offense if Graham is injured or needs to be put on a snap count. Yeboah can block, he started his career at Temple where you pretty much have to, but I would not call it his greatest strength.

092620_florida_FB_4532.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade QB Nick Foles to the Denver Broncos for a conditional 5th round pick in 2022.

6. WR Marlon Williams [UCF] 6' 222lbs.

The Bears need a WR 5 that has a skill set they do not have and that can play special teams. Williams is built like a RB playing WR and he is really powerful and physical after the catch. On offense he can bring a bruising style that the Bears do not really have. He also has the size and temperament to be a special teams contributor in the WR core which the Bears do not have.

6WEXK57CVZGKJCFNRBR5OHAHPM.jpg

6. NT Naquan Jones [Michigan St] 6'4" 328lbs.

The Bears are spending too much on the DL and they need a cheap NT that can eat some snaps and take some of the beating off of Eddie Goldman. He does not need to rush the passer, he does not need to play a ton, he just needs to be big and hard to move. Jones is that. He likely is never going to be an adequate NFL pass rusher, but the Bears simply need him to be John Jenkins.

4299-15937-original.jpeg

6. C Jimmy Morrisey [Pitt] 6'3" 300lbs.

The Bears have a lot of Cs on the roster that are better at OG and they need to ensure that an injury to Musitpher doesn't cause a massive line shift. Morrisey is a lunch pale type of pivot with good size and movement skills. He is a solid pass protector and based on his experience should hopefully be able to make the active roster. He had a really impressive 3 cone time, which is a good test when it comes to playing C in a zone heavy scheme. With this expensive new QB the Bears can simply not go to the street or the PR to start guys in front of him.

3389383_web1_gtr-morrisseyKO-112520.jpg

6. ILB Justin Hilliard [Ohio St] 6'1" 233lbs.

The Bears need to get some backup ILB options that are not named Iggy or Woods, they are both terrible. Hilliard can run, he is a reliable tackler, and while he was over shadowed at Ohio St by other LBs he should be able to play special teams and some day take a crack at defense. Christian Jones becomes the primary backup, but the Bears need more options with Trevathan staring over the cliff.

8740331.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Dalton, Fields
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Pierce
WR: Robinson, Mooney, Rodgers, Goodwin, Ridley, Williams
TE: Kmet, Graham, Yeboah, Holtz
LT: Leno, Moore
LG: Whitehair
C: Mustipher, Morrisey
RG: Daniels, Bars
RT: Ifedi, Wilkerson

RE: Nichols, Edwards
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, Blackson
OLB: Attouchu, Quinn, Gipson
ILB: Smith, Hilliard, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Jones
OLB: Mack, Vaughters
CB: Johnson, Trufant, Bynum, Vildor, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Gipson, Bush

K: Santo
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

This is just too much of a gamble. My top 2 are Lawrence and Fields, and they are the only ones I'd even consider trading up for. Fields may be a monster and he may not, but, by giving up so much draft capital, you hamstring our ability to build next year and the year after that. This is just a terrible no good move that will set back the franchise at least a decade.

Fields, though I have really liked since I first saw him play in High School, it is not worth the risk to grab a rookie QB, especially the fourth one off of the board. So, just no.