The Big Trade Up Draft

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's hotter than hell in Central Florida and the back part of that campus was basically a swamp before they built it out. I enjoyed going to school there. I had a great experience. What kind of job if that's cool?
Professor. The offer was laughably bad and I turned it down. Interesting campus, but I'm not a huge fan of Orlando.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Lots of NFL people have discussed this topic on NFL Network radio. The narrative is Matt Ryan probably has 3 to 4 more productive years left.

So if that's the case, the falcons could easily stay put and select Pitts which would give them one of the most dangerous offenses in all of football.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Pitts is the player with the highest floor in this draft and I think the Falcons asking price is going to be too high because they have a bird in the hand staying at #4.

No matter what you think about Fields, all of these players are prospects.. nothing more. There is nothing guaranteed.

The Chiefs thought highly of Mahomes.. but waited until 10, gave up their 27th pick, next year 1st and a 3rd, and those were going to be late picks. They traded about 1600 total points of draft capital for Patrick Mahomes, no matter what their evaluation was.

We are talking about nearly 3000 points of draft capital, twice the price, for Fields. I just can't see it.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
I can get behind the trade up and it's a good move if they can pull it off; I also really like Dan Moore in the 5th. I think if anyone offered a 5th for Anthony Miller they take it and take it very quickly

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Pitts is the player with the highest floor in this draft and I think the Falcons asking price is going to be too high because they have a bird in the hand staying at #4.

No matter what you think about Fields, all of these players are prospects.. nothing more. There is nothing guaranteed.

The Chiefs thought highly of Mahomes.. but waited until 10, gave up their 27th pick, next year 1st and a 3rd, and those were going to be late picks. They traded about 1600 total points of draft capital for Patrick Mahomes, no matter what their evaluation was.

We are talking about nearly 3000 points of draft capital, twice the price, for Fields. I just can't see it.
27 to 10 is much different than 20-4
Maybe you could try and get a 2nd or 3rd back tho

msadows

Liked Posts:
27 to 10 is much different than 20-4
Maybe you could try and get a 2nd or 3rd back tho

Yea, its more similar to what the rams gave up in the goff deal. Rams went from #15 to #1, it cost them that years 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Then next years 1st+3rd.

I think that gets the job done, imo. Rams also got a 4th rounder back in the deal. Maybe a 2nd rounder instead of a 3rd. I think that gets it done on draft day if there aren't a ton of suitors for that #4 pick. Depends, most of the nfl expects us to be shit I'm sure. Kinda a diff scenario than San Fran who a lot of people expect to bounce back this season due to their superior talent.

#20, #52, #83, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd. Get it done.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also i've been hamering the table for oline upgrades the last couple years but this is one year I could stomach not upgrading the tackle position and missing out on prospects to trade up for a QB like fields.

Leno isn't going anywhere until next year, Ifedi was serviceable at RT and cheap. Obviously we need a LT, but I don't expect fields to start this year unless this team is severely shit or dalton gets hurt. Fix the oline next offseason with a hopeful FA signing.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol fields as a given?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Fields is going to be a star. Unless he goes to the bears where qbs go to die

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Also i've been hamering the table for oline upgrades the last couple years but this is one year I could stomach not upgrading the tackle position and missing out on prospects to trade up for a QB like fields.

Leno isn't going anywhere until next year, Ifedi was serviceable at RT and cheap. Obviously we need a LT, but I don't expect fields to start this year unless this team is severely shit or dalton gets hurt. Fix the oline next offseason with a hopeful FA signing.
I agree in theory but I'm pretty sure the Leno Jr. / Ifedi situation at tackle is going to get Andy Dalton killed by the quarterway point of the season. At that point the Bears will bringing in the rookie and that same dynamic on the offensive line has a decent chance of ruining that quarterback prospect before he ever gets a chance. The football equivalent of strangling him in the womb.

Unless the plan is to go with Nick Foles after the inevitable Dalton injury, but that seems like a naïve plan. Calls for the rookie will be riotous by the second half of the season and Pace/Nagy will be a position where they need the rookie to look good to have any prayer of saving their jobs.

greg23

Liked Posts:
id be on board with this draft but hate giving up so many picks to move from 20-4 (and i dont think atl wants to drop that far)

however, this draft needs to be augmented with at least one LT signing (like fisher) who can play/replace leno as we're still lacking along the oline, esp the tackles......dalton/foles will get killed and we'd likey throw fields to the wolves earlier than he should be thrown out there (ala mitch)

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm always for taking a big swing at quarterback. I just don't like ohio state. Consider me conflicted

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Herbert has absolutely nothing to do with this.
He has everything to do with it actually.

He was viewed as the low end 1st round QB prospect and essentially the leftovers after Burrow and Tua last year. That's what a lot of people think about Jones and Lance.

The point is if you grade them out as a 1st round talent then at the end of the day you better shoot your shot even if its a trade up.

How many teams do you think wish they traded ahead of the Chargers for Herbert now?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm always for taking a big swing at quarterback. I just don't like ohio state. Consider me conflicted

just ignore those years and think of him as a Georgia bulldog then

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Getting a vet LT from the left over FAs would be a good idea if this plan was used. More bodies to try and keep the QBs from getting killed. With average QB play and average injuries the defense could rebound and the Bears could end up being 9-8 or 10-7.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
just ignore those years and think of him as a Georgia bulldog then
My goodness that Bulldog can play. It looks like he has a lot of calm with pressure in his face. You say he's from Georgia? Man I like how he slings it. Looks good throwing deep, you can tell he's aiming for the player instead of chucking it and hoping his guy can run under. Georgia you say? He has good wheels too, and doesn't over rely on athleticism. Wants to be a primary passer, that's good, I think he'll do well in the league. I fully support drafting Fields, QB from Georgia, in the first round. Run to the podium!

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He has everything to do with it actually.

He was viewed as the low end 1st round QB prospect and essentially the leftovers after Burrow and Tua last year. That's what a lot of people think about Jones and Lance.

The point is if you grade them out as a 1st round talent then at the end of the day you better shoot your shot even if its a trade up.

How many teams do you think wish they traded ahead of the Chargers for Herbert now?
Is Hebert in this draft?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fields would be awesome

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This would be a win, IMO.

Here are the Bears options:

Make a massive trade up like this for a QB
Hope Fields/Mac falls to about 10 or so, and trade up to that spot
Take someone like Trask/Mills at #20 or wait until the 2nd or later to pick a QB
Kick the can down the road and attack the QB position next year

Option 2 is unrealistic and relying on too many variables. Options 3 and 4 are trash as well. A massive trade up makes sense if it gets you a talent like Fields.

Kenny Loggins

Liked Posts:
This is cool and all but there's no way. Pace would trade up for Mac Jones, Kyle Trask or Davis Mills but not Justin Fields because reliable sources have confirmed that Ryan Pace is, undoubtedly, a blatant racist. Ryan Pace would rather lose 16 games with a white QB than have a non-white QB suit up for his team. Dude might as well be wearing his klansman outfit around Halas Hall.
Where do you come up with this crap? Reliable sources were probably CNN or MSNBC.