The case against moving up to 4

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
First off, I have heard the arguments for trading up to 4, and they are valid. I respect those points.

1) 3 QBs will go top 3, which I don’t believe has happened since ‘99. Top 5 may go in the first 10, which I don’t think has ever happened. It is a bad year for a QB-needy team sitting at 20.

2) I don’t think the 9ers take Jones. I believe they cannot pass on Fields’ upside. In truth, I think Jones is a very good prospect and feel he will have a nice career in the right system, including the Shanny system. Fields, though is a prospect that can also lead that team with the right coaching. I do not feel the ransom the Bears will have to pay will be worth the cost of Jones.

3) If I am wrong, and Fields is there at 4, as mentioned, it will cost a ton to get him. Multiple firsts, perhaps a 2nd and 3rds, etc. Fields will be obtained, but the Bears will literally have a near impossible task of building a roster around him for at least the next 2 years. Not an ideal situation for Fields who will need to develop a bit at the NFL level. In addition, there are teams ahead of the Bears who can and will offer the Falcons good compensation, including a higher pick in this years draft.

4)Now if Jones slips out of the top 10, that move makes a lot more sense. He can lean behind Dalton and the future isn’t completely mortgaged.

What I would do: the Orlando Brown rumors may not happen, but it is more possible than people think. The Ravens will released him next year probably since they paid Stanley, just like ARob will probably leave next year. Make a swing for Brown. Draft Jenkins at 20. Fix the trenches on the OL for the first time in decades. Brown-Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair-Jenkins. Ifedi and Barr backing up.

Draft Davis Mills in the 2nd. I think he could be a very good QB. Just needs experience as he has all the tools. At worst he will be a very good and cheap backup QB, which is very valuable, especially on this team.

CB/WR and BPA rest of the draft.

This will make the offense competitive, IMO, and nothing prevents them from trading up next year for a QB when the cap is more manageable.

Bust

Liked Posts:
They not moving up to 4, lol

msadows

Liked Posts:
They not moving up to 4, lol

4 seems like a stretch of reality to me. Would cost too much. I'd love to see it, tho.

#8, with carolina, if lance/fields drops there seems pretty realistic, however.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Multiple firsts, perhaps a 2nd and 3rds, etc. Fields will be obtained, but the Bears will literally have a near impossible task of building a roster around him for at least the next 2 years.

This is actually offset these days by the value you get by having him on a rookie contract. If you hit on a top 10 QB on a rookie contract, teams of late have shown you can absolutely build good teams around them immediately.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is actually offset these days by the value you get by having him on a rookie contract. If you hit on a top 10 QB on a rookie contract, teams of late have shown you can absolutely build good teams around them immediately.
Deshaun Watson disagrees.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Not to mention the rest of the roster isn't really bad at all. Sure, there are holes, but the high majority of nfl teams have holes.

The offensive talent seems to be the best nagy has had since coming here. The defense will regress but should still be top half of the league. If you can field an average supporting cast with a good QB you got a perennial playoff team.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
First off, I have heard the arguments for trading up to 4, and they are valid. I respect those points.

1) 3 QBs will go top 3, which I don’t believe has happened since ‘99. Top 5 may go in the first 10, which I don’t think has ever happened. It is a bad year for a QB-needy team sitting at 20.

2) I don’t think the 9ers take Jones. I believe they cannot pass on Fields’ upside. In truth, I think Jones is a very good prospect and feel he will have a nice career in the right system, including the Shanny system. Fields, though is a prospect that can also lead that team with the right coaching. I do not feel the ransom the Bears will have to pay will be worth the cost of Jones.

3) If I am wrong, and Fields is there at 4, as mentioned, it will cost a ton to get him. Multiple firsts, perhaps a 2nd and 3rds, etc. Fields will be obtained, but the Bears will literally have a near impossible task of building a roster around him for at least the next 2 years. Not an ideal situation for Fields who will need to develop a bit at the NFL level. In addition, there are teams ahead of the Bears who can and will offer the Falcons good compensation, including a higher pick in this years draft.

4)Now if Jones slips out of the top 10, that move makes a lot more sense. He can lean behind Dalton and the future isn’t completely mortgaged.

What I would do: the Orlando Brown rumors may not happen, but it is more possible than people think. The Ravens will released him next year probably since they paid Stanley, just like ARob will probably leave next year. Make a swing for Brown. Draft Jenkins at 20. Fix the trenches on the OL for the first time in decades. Brown-Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair-Jenkins. Ifedi and Barr backing up.

Draft Davis Mills in the 2nd. I think he could be a very good QB. Just needs experience as he has all the tools. At worst he will be a very good and cheap backup QB, which is very valuable, especially on this team.

CB/WR and BPA rest of the draft.

This will make the offense competitive, IMO, and nothing prevents them from trading up next year for a QB when the cap is more manageable.
What or who are you trading for Brown?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Agree a move to 4 is simply too costly.

Getting a QB is always too expensive, until you get into the season and the reason you are not winning games or have a glimmer of hope for the future is because you don't have a QB that can take the team on his back.

If Nagy/Pace/ownership like a guy then FFS, go get him if that is at 4 or staying put at 20 I don't care.....

I want the Bears to be relevant in the Division and NFL because of the QB, not in spite of him......

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Deshaun Watson disagrees.
You mean how the Texans traded up for him, he turned into a top 10 QB on a rookie contract, and took them and an okay roster to the playoffs in two out of his first three years?

Thanks for making my point.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You mean how the Texans traded up for him, he turned into a top 10 QB on a rookie contract, and took them and an okay roster to the playoffs in two out of his first three years?

Thanks for making my point.
Or 2 out of his first 4 years.......just saying

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Build the trenches is a great idea.

It also gets them no where. More treading water.

You have to have a real QB to win a Super Bowl.
Absolutely agree. I am just not sure this is the year to do it, especially if Fields goes 3rd. Not sold at all on Lance and Jones, who both probably don’t make it past 10-12.

Trading a lot of picks for a franchise QB is fine, forcing the issue to take one that is left over just to take one is not smart, IMO.

Truth be told,I think Dalton will perform better than most people expect if the OL gets sorted. Without a competent OL, Wilson, Fields, etc would get murdrered.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
If they believe in a QB at #4 then there’s no cost too great for a franchise QB. The problem is the asshole who actually drafts the players is unskilled at his job and can’t properly evaluate players.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
If I’m right and Fields goes 3rd, Lance and Jones are left. Deshaun Watson isn’t in this draft-those guys aren’t Watson. Trading the future would not be worth it for either 2, especially Lance, as I think he’ll need to sit at least a few years.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Build the trenches is a great idea.

It also gets them no where. More treading water.

You have to have a real QB to win a Super Bowl.
"building the trenches" only makes sense if you have the weapons to shoot after the trenches have been built

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
"building the trenches" only makes sense if you have the weapons to shoot after the trenches have been built
Yes. And if the trenches aren’t built it won’t matter what weapons you have shooting-they get overrun.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree, I think its obvious more marquee veterans will follow Brady and self interest and break free in the next couple years.

Do what you can, but don't panic now and overpay for the 5th QB scraps, etc.

"If you build it they will come."

So focus on building what QBs want. You already have the fans and the global market share. Fix the line. Sort out WR.

And pick a top 5 or top 10 player where you are with all the bullshit going on ahead of us. It looks like the bears can get a WR, OT, or top defensive player where they are. End the trade up madness.

Fucking get rid of Foles. If Dalton fails you want to tank better and be here next year in top 3, something to offer Seattle.