The case against moving up to 4

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
They do not want Arob. The reason they aren't keeping Brown is because of the cap.
How do you know? Brown wants to play LT and they just signed Stanley. Too much money invested at the bookends, as you implied. But ARob is the perfect WR who can help a QB who struggles with accuracy and reads. Maybe they don’t want him, but it would not shock me if they did. They want to get something for Brown instead of letting him walk next year.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Or 2 out of his first 4 years.......just saying
That's a fair point.

I would say the criminal acts Bill O'Brien committed though as Texans GM/HC though as the big reason that roster blew up after that:

- Trading Hopkins in his prime for a washed up runningback and 2nd rounder
- Trading two 1sts and a 2nd for Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills

You can weather the storm of that kind of trade up if you hit on QB and make good decisions. They were already operating on a thin margin and he completely compounded the issue.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
I agree, I think its obvious more marquee veterans will follow Brady and self interest and break free in the next couple years.

Do what you can, but don't panic now and overpay for the 5th QB scraps, etc.

"If you build it they will come."

So focus on building what QBs want. You already have the fans and the global market share. Fix the line. Sort out WR.

And pick a top 5 or top 10 player where you are with all the bullshit going on ahead of us. It looks like the bears can get a WR, OT, or top defensive player where they are. End the trade up madness.

Fucking get rid of Foles. If Dalton fails you want to tank better and be here next year in top 3, something to offer Seattle.
We've been doing that for 50 years. In today's NFL you get a Franchise QB when you can. Without one you can't complete for a title.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If Fields becomes a bigger version of Watson you won't like him because we over paid? lol

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
They do not want Arob. The reason they aren't keeping Brown is because of the cap.
Personally, I think the only reason there is talk surrounding Brown is that he wants to play LT and the Ravens just signed Stanley to a 5year $100M to play that position. I agree with you however that they don't want Robinson and pay him what they wouldn't pay Kenny Golladay 4 years $72M. It's going to take 1st round pick (s) to get a 25 year old pro bowl tackle and then you still have to pay him his market value

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
We've been doing that for 50 years. In today's NFL you get a Franchise QB when you can. Without one you can't complete for a title.
You’re assuming Fields Will be there at 4. I don’t think he will be, but if he is, I can get behind it if they move up, even if I disagree with the move.

You’re ok with trading multiple firsts and 2nds for Jones?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
You’re assuming Fields Will be there at 4. I don’t think he will be, but if he is, I can get behind it if they move up, even if I disagree with the move.

You’re ok with trading multiple firsts and 2nds for Jones?
Jones is going to SF at 3. If SF takes Fields we can get Jones at 8 and I've be fine with that. Shanahan is taking Jones.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
First off, I have heard the arguments for trading up to 4, and they are valid. I respect those points.

1) 3 QBs will go top 3, which I don’t believe has happened since ‘99. Top 5 may go in the first 10, which I don’t think has ever happened. It is a bad year for a QB-needy team sitting at 20.

2) I don’t think the 9ers take Jones. I believe they cannot pass on Fields’ upside. In truth, I think Jones is a very good prospect and feel he will have a nice career in the right system, including the Shanny system. Fields, though is a prospect that can also lead that team with the right coaching. I do not feel the ransom the Bears will have to pay will be worth the cost of Jones.

3) If I am wrong, and Fields is there at 4, as mentioned, it will cost a ton to get him. Multiple firsts, perhaps a 2nd and 3rds, etc. Fields will be obtained, but the Bears will literally have a near impossible task of building a roster around him for at least the next 2 years. Not an ideal situation for Fields who will need to develop a bit at the NFL level. In addition, there are teams ahead of the Bears who can and will offer the Falcons good compensation, including a higher pick in this years draft.

4)Now if Jones slips out of the top 10, that move makes a lot more sense. He can lean behind Dalton and the future isn’t completely mortgaged.

What I would do: the Orlando Brown rumors may not happen, but it is more possible than people think. The Ravens will released him next year probably since they paid Stanley, just like ARob will probably leave next year. Make a swing for Brown. Draft Jenkins at 20. Fix the trenches on the OL for the first time in decades. Brown-Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair-Jenkins. Ifedi and Barr backing up.

Draft Davis Mills in the 2nd. I think he could be a very good QB. Just needs experience as he has all the tools. At worst he will be a very good and cheap backup QB, which is very valuable, especially on this team.

CB/WR and BPA rest of the draft.

This will make the offense competitive, IMO, and nothing prevents them from trading up next year for a QB when the cap is more manageable.
You can't get Brown without also giving up multiple picks.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

And
970c67da-08cc-4afe-8d3d-e229f9129a96.jpg

And
vgisygruvotihbr0ybhc.jpg

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Jones is going to SF at 3. If SF takes Fields we can get Jones at 8 and I've be fine with that. Shanahan is taking Jones.
We disagree. I think San Fran is taking Fields. I like Jones as a prospect. If he falls, I’d be on board moving up depending on the cost.

I just happen to think Davis Mills may turn into a very good QB. But, it’s all a crapshoot.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
We disagree. I think San Fran is taking Fields. I like Jones as a prospect. If he falls, I’d be on board moving up depending on the cost.

I just happen to think Davis Mills may turn into a very good QB. But, it’s all a crapshoot.
I'm a big Davis Mills fan but he is very raw and has very little experience. Jones would be a great QB for Nagy's system if we can't get Fields. Mills is a big question mark. With the right coaching maybe he can be a starter in 1-2 years.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
First off, I have heard the arguments for trading up to 4, and they are valid. I respect those points.

1) 3 QBs will go top 3, which I don’t believe has happened since ‘99. Top 5 may go in the first 10, which I don’t think has ever happened. It is a bad year for a QB-needy team sitting at 20.

2) I don’t think the 9ers take Jones. I believe they cannot pass on Fields’ upside. In truth, I think Jones is a very good prospect and feel he will have a nice career in the right system, including the Shanny system. Fields, though is a prospect that can also lead that team with the right coaching. I do not feel the ransom the Bears will have to pay will be worth the cost of Jones.

3) If I am wrong, and Fields is there at 4, as mentioned, it will cost a ton to get him. Multiple firsts, perhaps a 2nd and 3rds, etc. Fields will be obtained, but the Bears will literally have a near impossible task of building a roster around him for at least the next 2 years. Not an ideal situation for Fields who will need to develop a bit at the NFL level. In addition, there are teams ahead of the Bears who can and will offer the Falcons good compensation, including a higher pick in this years draft.

4)Now if Jones slips out of the top 10, that move makes a lot more sense. He can lean behind Dalton and the future isn’t completely mortgaged.

What I would do: the Orlando Brown rumors may not happen, but it is more possible than people think. The Ravens will released him next year probably since they paid Stanley, just like ARob will probably leave next year. Make a swing for Brown. Draft Jenkins at 20. Fix the trenches on the OL for the first time in decades. Brown-Daniels-Mustipher-Whitehair-Jenkins. Ifedi and Barr backing up.

Draft Davis Mills in the 2nd. I think he could be a very good QB. Just needs experience as he has all the tools. At worst he will be a very good and cheap backup QB, which is very valuable, especially on this team.

CB/WR and BPA rest of the draft.

This will make the offense competitive, IMO, and nothing prevents them from trading up next year for a QB when the cap is more manageable.

giphy.gif

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Whats the fascination with Davis Mills about? I dont understand it. In the few games he played this year I believe he had a 1 TD:1 INT ratio in all but one game. NO THANKS!!

At least give me a guy who performed well in college. I'll take Trask in the 2nd if he is available. Not interested in any of the other guys. Kellen Mond would be a decent project, but we need someone to come in and legitimacy push Dalton from day 1.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Build the trenches is a great idea.

It also gets them no where. More treading water.

You have to have a real QB to win a Super Bowl.

I'm know I'm in the minority with this, but to me: While it was annoying seeing Mitch miss open WRs on the reg, it was absolutely LIFE DRAINING watching Monty run into the back of the OL over... and over, and over, and OVER again. Or have to dodge a dude as he was securing the handoff.

The line really needs to be focused on immediately.

Last edited:

Brownie

Liked Posts:
This is actually offset these days by the value you get by having him on a rookie contract. If you hit on a top 10 QB on a rookie contract, teams of late have shown you can absolutely build good teams around them immediately.

Not this team, not with this GM and HC. They've already proven that they can't.