The case against moving up to 4

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
There should be a master list somewhere of all the reasons the Bears shouldn't even try to get a quarterback. Then people could just say "Reason #37" or something like that. Save everyone some time.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is actually offset these days by the value you get by having him on a rookie contract. If you hit on a top 10 QB on a rookie contract, teams of late have shown you can absolutely build good teams around them immediately.

yeah, first round picks are kinda overvalued by fans

I mean stafford just went for 2 firsts and hes fuckin 33

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There should be a master list somewhere of all the reasons the Bears shouldn't even try to get a quarterback. Then people could just say "Reason #37" or something like that. Save everyone some time.

yeah, I'm not tryin to say moving to 4 is necessarily a good idea.

but this IS the time of year bears fans starting telling themselves why it would be good to cheap out on a QB

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
#5) This coaching staff couldn't groom a dog with a Flow-bee much less train a rookie QB who's not already plug n play NFL ready.

They can't even keep Anthony Miller in line or hold any player accountable for being lazy, stupid, and weak.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I dont need to watch tape on him. Its a waste of time. The odds of someone with his types if stats automatically becoming good in the NFL are slim.

Need I point out again that Davis mills threw for only 18 TDs in 13 games. Kyle Trask on the other hand threw for 43 TDs in 12 games in the SEC. Yet, you think Mills is the better prospect!?!

When has a cute pick, with Mills-like stats worked out? Please enlighten me. Because at the end of the day scoring TDs are what matter.

As for current QBs final collegiate season, Mahomes threw 41 TDs at Texas Tech, Watson 41, Burrow 60, Russell Wilson 33 Tds, Justin Herbert 32 TDs, Baker Mayfield 43, Kyle Murray 42, even Lamar Jackson had 27 ( thoigh he also had 18 Rush TDs)

Your best example may be Josh Allen who all of a sudden put a great season together. Tom Vrady had bad stats bud he was a 6th rd pice.
It’s all sort of a projection with these guys. But there’s a reason Mills keeps climbing up boards. ACL derailed his early college career, and he kept getting better the more games he played. And his physical tools are great.

More promising than a guy like Mond, IMO. He played a lot more games and it still hasn’t clicked for him. One game he’s awesome, the next it looks like he’s playing the position for the very first time.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It’s all sort of a projection with these guys. But there’s a reason Mills keeps climbing up boards. ACL derailed his early college career, and he kept getting better the more games he played. And his physical tools are great.

More promising than a guy like Mond, IMO. He played a lot more games and it still hasn’t clicked for him. One game he’s awesome, the next it looks like he’s playing the position for the very first time.

As a Mond supporter, I can understand this tack of Mills's potential vs. the actual play of Mond. I get it.

My issue is that I just don't think either of them are worth a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st. Mills in the 5th or 6th, sure. Idgaf. But, mofos be treating Mills like a late 1st rounder!

Nah, man. Mills is not a 1st round talent. I'd cringe at a 3rd rounder for him but end up accepting it as the over-inflated value of getting a qb in today's NFL. I'd seriously rather draft Jabril Cox in the 2nd than Mond, and I like the dude.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
As a Mond supporter, I can understand this tack of Mills's potential vs. the actual play of Mond. I get it.

My issue is that I just don't think either of them are worth a 2nd round pick, let alone a 1st. Mills in the 5th or 6th, sure. Idgaf. But, mofos be treating Mills like a late 1st rounder!

Nah, man. Mills is not a 1st round talent. I'd cringe at a 3rd rounder for him but end up accepting it as the over-inflated value of getting a qb in today's NFL. I'd seriously rather draft Jabril Cox in the 2nd than Mond, and I like the dude.
I actually don’t disagree with you, except that the QB position is always overvalued because it’s the most important position. If a guy like Mond or Mills is viewed as someone who can develop into a good starting QB, round 2-3 is actually great value for the team that drafts him. A LB, for example that needs time to develop is of course going to be valued much lower because of supply and demand.

A QB with high level upside traits is a helluva lot rarer than a LB, S, etc with upside.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Deshaun Watson disagrees.

Disagree with that statement. Houston absolutely built a good team around Watson in 2018 and 2019 and frankly should have beaten KC in 2019 (thus KC never wins the Superbowl that year). Houston's problem wasn't building around Watson but rather it was allowing Obrien to make 2 of the dumbest trades in their franchise history and blow all of their draft capital. Had they not traded for Tunsil or shipped of Hopkins, Houston would be sitting in a prety good position right now (not withstanding all of Watson's "issues"). They built a good team and then blew it up for basically no reason.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
yeah, first round picks are kinda overvalued by fans

I mean stafford just went for 2 firsts and hes fuckin 33

Yes but keep in mind that extra first was to deal with the amount of money still on Goff's contract. LA was paying Detroit to get out of the Goff contract. If they were set to make the same money with the same commitment, Detroit would never have gotten 2 First Rounders from LA. Context is key.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Doesn't mean 4th best QB. QB taken with the 4th pick. Who is better is an opinion and there are a lot of them. Of course they would not make this trade unless they see the player as a Franchise QB. What other QB in Bears history has had the talent of Fields?

I also think people are forgetting that next year's draft is (as it stands today) consider one of the worst years to draft a QB. Hell the only 1st round QB currently being talked about is the kid from North Carolina. The truth is Fields or Lance would be considered the #1 pick in 2022 if they came back a year and its not even close. So, if the Bears are not able to trade up this year to draft Fields/Lance, then its more than likely they have to wait 2 more seasons before there is some quality at the QB position the draft. Its that or hope that a 2nd/3rd Round pick like Mills pans out.