The Derek Carr Offseason Plan

mbison

Liked Posts:
Not going to argue with you. Believe what you want. I prefer to believe my eyes. People on CCS want fucking anybody with a pulse over Trubisky.. Now we have a thread wanting the 3rd stringer on the niners.

And no.... I wont be high until this evening.

It has nothing to do with belief. I’m talking straight facts. Carr was that good. Mitch will NEVER be considered a top player like Carr was. They are nothing alike

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
would take this but like others have said Pace will find a way to get fleeced in the process.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Honestly imho adding a couple pieces one offense and Carr at qb with a healthy defense makes us super bowl contenders.
I'm one to think that anyone who makes the playoffs can win the Superbowl, and I see Carr more likely to get us to the playoffs than Trubisky. I think we have a lot to do on the right side of the offense, and we need a TE worth a damn, but out offense isn't as far away as our stats show.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
I like the trade downs because I think the Bears need to add multiple young players all over their roster. I don’t trade for Carr, because I think that he’s just an older Mitch with less scrambling ability. But, also trade down that other 2nd rd pick. Use the FA money for the best TE & OG/C that money can buy. The extensions in this mock are all good to free up money, and keep good players. I wouldn’t resign Danny T...ILB is another position for a draft pick. Multiple trade downs can get enough picks to add a young player at: ILB, OLB, S, OT, WR, RB, QB, & CB. Use the FA money upfront on offense.

Last edited:

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I believe I would do the Derek Carr trade if the Raiders are open to it. If not then I would spend the other 2nd round pick on Joshua Uche (EDGE) and look to sign or trade a 5-6th for Andy Dalton as long as they eat some of his salary.

Denzel Mims is likely to go in the late 1st or 2nd round. As much as I would like to trade back, if you want Mims you take him with a 2nd round pick.

Chase Claypool is intriguing. I think he'll go later on as he has limited experience at TE. I would look to sign Tyler Eifert in FA.

RRH has not done enough to command that type of contract. I don't think Deon Bush has done enough to get paid what you suggest either. Personally would look to go after Vernon Butler (IDL) and Karl Joseph (SS) or Vonn Bell (SS) instead. Better quality and I am worried about the longevity of Hicks. Butler in the right scheme is particularly devastating. I don't think he was in the right one in Carolina. As a Right DE I think he could be very interesting opposite Hicks and Mack!

The extra money would need to come from somewhere as Butler and Joseph would cost a bit more and I would look to bring back KPL on a cheaper deal but not Danny Trevathan (even though I really like him) if he's looking for $6m.

I like the Halapoulivaati Vaitai (IOL) pick up. If Stenberg in my ideal draft was ready to go at RG then Vaitai would dislodge Massie at RT. If not then Vaitai starts at RG. He has enormous value in his value to play across the line.

The suggested re-signings/extensions of Floyd, Robinson and Hicks I really like. Great to get them back and a good way of freeing up some cap space.

I'd consider cutting Patterson as well if it got me the players I wanted in FA. It would be a luxury to keep him but I have eyes on Gibson in the draft as you'll see below. He would be the returner.

If Carr isn't available then my FA and Draft would look roughly like the following:

FA: Andy Dalton (QB), Jordan Howard (RB), Tyler Eifert (TE), Vernon Butler (IDL), Kevin Pierre-Louis (LB), Karl Joseph (S)

Depending on what happens with Trubisky (if he's moved on) I'd be interested in signing Nate Sudfield (QB) to initially act as the back up QB and then later to challenge to be a starter. Apparently DeFilippo rates him highly.

Draft: [2} Denzel Mims (WR), [2] Joshua Uche (EDGE), [4] Logan Stenberg (IOL), [5] Chase Claypool (TE),

[6] Lavert Hill (CB), [6] Antonio Gibson (RB), [7] Logan Wilson (LB), [7] Tanner Muse (S)

* If the Eagles were interested in trading Dallas Goedert (TE) for Tarik Cohen + a pick I'd be very interested as well. I am not averse to keeping Cohen if he's used correctly and he stops dropping the fcuking ball but I really want to make an effort to upgrade the TE position.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I quite like James Morgan (QB) late in the draft as well.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I believe I would do the Derek Carr trade if the Raiders are open to it. If not then I would spend the other 2nd round pick on Joshua Uche (EDGE) and look to sign or trade a 5-6th for Andy Dalton as long as they eat some of his salary.

Denzel Mims is likely to go in the late 1st or 2nd round. As much as I would like to trade back, if you want Mims you take him with a 2nd round pick.

Chase Claypool is intriguing. I think he'll go later on as he has limited experience at TE. I would look to sign Tyler Eifert in FA.

RRH has not done enough to command that type of contract. I don't think Deon Bush has done enough to get paid what you suggest either. Personally would look to go after Vernon Butler (IDL) and Karl Joseph (SS) or Vonn Bell (SS) instead. Better quality and I am worried about the longevity of Hicks. Butler in the right scheme is particularly devastating. I don't think he was in the right one in Carolina. As a Right DE I think he could be very interesting opposite Hicks and Mack!

The extra money would need to come from somewhere as Butler and Joseph would cost a bit more and I would look to bring back KPL on a cheaper deal but not Danny Trevathan (even though I really like him) if he's looking for $6m.

I like the Halapoulivaati Vaitai (IOL) pick up. If Stenberg in my ideal draft was ready to go at RG then Vaitai would dislodge Massie at RT. If not then Vaitai starts at RG. He has enormous value in his value to play across the line.

The suggested re-signings/extensions of Floyd, Robinson and Hicks I really like. Great to get them back and a good way of freeing up some cap space.

I'd consider cutting Patterson as well if it got me the players I wanted in FA. It would be a luxury to keep him but I have eyes on Gibson in the draft as you'll see below. He would be the returner.

If Carr isn't available then my FA and Draft would look roughly like the following:

FA: Andy Dalton (QB), Jordan Howard (RB), Tyler Eifert (TE), Vernon Butler (IDL), Kevin Pierre-Louis (LB), Karl Joseph (S)

Depending on what happens with Trubisky (if he's moved on) I'd be interested in signing Nate Sudfield (QB) to initially act as the back up QB and then later to challenge to be a starter. Apparently DeFilippo rates him highly.

Draft: [2} Denzel Mims (WR), [2] Joshua Uche (EDGE), [4] Logan Stenberg (IOL), [5] Chase Claypool (TE),

[6] Lavert Hill (CB), [6] Antonio Gibson (RB), [7] Logan Wilson (LB), [7] Tanner Muse (S)

* If the Eagles were interested in trading Dallas Goedert (TE) for Tarik Cohen + a pick I'd be very interested as well. I am not averse to keeping Cohen if he's used correctly and he stops dropping the fcuking ball but I really want to make an effort to upgrade the TE position.

Chase Claypool in the 5th????

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Chase Claypool in the 5th????

Maybe maybe not. Let's be honest it's not that obvious where he goes. thedraftnetwork still has him available on the 3rd day. He has limited experience at TE (basically a converted WR) and there are a huge amount of quality WRs available. If he isn't there then I'd look for another. Alternatively one could consider him in the 4th but I really like Stenberg to bring some 'fcuking animal' at RG.

I also like Windy's pick of Highsmith in the 4th. And I guess that's fair if we're re-signing Floyd but I like Uche and Mims as a pairing in the 2nd and I am not sure we can trade down far enough in the 2nd round to get them both whilst also getting 3rd rounders. Maybe 4ths I really don't know. I really want the pass rushing department topped up. We have nothing outside of Floyd. Sheard I'd be 'meh' on but reasonable I guess. Better than Lynch to be fair!

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Do we keep Trubisky if we sign Carr to a long term deal? I think we could get a 5th round pick for him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Do we keep Trubisky if we sign Carr to a long term deal? I think we could get a 5th round pick for him.

So if we get rid of Mitch......

Do u honestly want another "cutler syndrome" situation.....where we just hand over the Qb position to a guy and hope for the best?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Do u honestly want another "cutler syndrome" situation.....where we just hand over the Qb position to a guy and hope for the best?

Cutler was trash with the Broncos he had 25 touchdowns, 18 interceptions. Carr has shown he's more competent than Cutler already.

I don't see another option. Bears have an elite defense for at least 3-4 more years and they need to win now.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Cutler was trash with the Broncos he had 25 touchdowns, 18 interceptions. Carr has shown he's more competent than Cutler already.

I don't see another option. Bears have an elite defense for at least 3-4 more years and they need to win now.

I go back to competition. No one should just be handed the Qb position ever again. I'm gun-shy about this approach bcuz I've seen it fail so many times. Ya give a guy the Qb position, there's no viable, hungry back-up to ever challenge the starter.
At that point, there's no reason for the starter to ever worry about his job being taken away and no reason to improve.

So whether it's Carr or who ever, all I say is have a strong viable, hungry back-up Qb. There should never be a "I -don't- have to- worry -about -losing- my -job -scenario"

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No one cares about proving haters wrong. We wanna see Trubisky with a real team around him before we give up.
Noon...I like you man but you have to stop...

This the SAME argument that was used for Cutty. His oline was bad (which it was admittedly), his wrs were to small, etc....

But they went out and fixed those things. They got bigger wrs for him, they got better in the slightest on the oline, they got a 'qb guru' coach... yet Cutty still what what he was.....

Have you not considered that after 3 years, Mitch just is who he is? That many of us Bears fans are just seeing it alot sooner BECAUSE of the situation we had with Cutler?...

BEARS

Last edited:

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

This the SAME argument that was used for Cutty. His oline was bad (which it was admittedly), his wrs were to small, etc....

But they went out and fixed those things. They got bigger wrs for him, they got better in the slightest on the oline, they got a 'qb guru' coach... yet Cutty still what what he was.....

Have you not considered that after 3 years, Mitch just is who he is? That many of us Bears fans are just seeing it alot sooner BECAUSE of the situation we had with Cutler?...

BEARS

BEARS

BEARS
I'm not judging Trubisky or Monty based on last year. I think both can be very good players.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This seems reasonable but I would make the following changes.

1. I am not resigning Floyd. Fuck that dude, he is not worth the money period. Instead, I get RRH to drop about 10 pounds and have him play OLB/DE

2. I am not signing DT. If we sign KPL then let him and Iggy be the backups. Gotta start trusting some of the young guys to step up.

3. If I get Carr, I probably just trade Trubisky for anything I can get. At this point if you get Carr and give him a new deal, you are saying you give up on Trubs so there is no reason to keep him around. Get something for him while you can. I"m going to say someone trades a 4th rounder for him.

4. With the extra money you save on not signing Floyd, DT and trading Trubs, you sign Austin Hooper to play TE and you get a cheap vet QB to be the backup.

5. As for the draft, I probably trade back once not twice and take Reagor/Mimms/Claypool. Not sure Mims or Claypool will last to the 3rd round now as this appears to have been before combine. I use the draft pick I get for moving Trubs to take another WR/TE prospect.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In Carr's defense the raiders are ass all around
This. can't say our QB needs help and then complain too much about Carr. That said, he's still been disappointing considering the arm talent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This seems reasonable but I would make the following changes.

1. I am not resigning Floyd. Fuck that dude, he is not worth the money period. Instead, I get RRH to drop about 10 pounds and have him play OLB/DE

2. I am not signing DT. If we sign KPL then let him and Iggy be the backups. Gotta start trusting some of the young guys to step up.

3. If I get Carr, I probably just trade Trubisky for anything I can get. At this point if you get Carr and give him a new deal, you are saying you give up on Trubs so there is no reason to keep him around. Get something for him while you can. I"m going to say someone trades a 4th rounder for him.

4. With the extra money you save on not signing Floyd, DT and trading Trubs, you sign Austin Hooper to play TE and you get a cheap vet QB to be the backup.

5. As for the draft, I probably trade back once not twice and take Reagor/Mimms/Claypool. Not sure Mims or Claypool will last to the 3rd round now as this appears to have been before combine. I use the draft pick I get for moving Trubs to take another WR/TE prospect.
Sounds right but I also don't pay FA money for a freaking G. I also don't think Carr is in the mix this year simply due to the situation of pay vs position but ya, if they get him, this.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds right but I also don't pay FA money for a freaking G. I also don't think Carr is in the mix this year simply due to the situation of pay vs position but ya, if they get him, this.

I am at the point where I prefer to pay for a FA G as opposed to risking another Daniels situation. At least with WR, if they can't start, they still can play in 3 or 4 WR sets. A guard that isn't ready to start basically just rides bench.

I don't think Carr happens either so just speculating on the assumption they were able to pull it off.