The Devin Hester Discussion Thread

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I love how people say the falcons have figured out how to use Hester because he had an end-around for a td that couldn't have been defended any worse than the buccaneers played it last night(the same bucs that are the worst team in the nfl right now)

Did nobody else not see him get 1 catch for 2 yds last week against a real defense? And did anyone not see how fucking clueless he looked last night running a go-route?
Guy was wide open and started ball-looking about 10 yds too early and slowed down and Ryan's throw overshot him.
He'll never get the WR or any other offensive position. He will always be simply a return man and it sucks the bears don't have him for that reason.

Yep. On a larger note, even thought Atl killed Tampa, I'm still not sure Atl is that good of a team. Their OL is less than impressive and their D was shite coming into this game.

Frankly, I think Tampa is THAT bad. The D on that end around was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen a 20 yard end around where the guy is literally not even touched and there are maybe 2 players out of 11 anywhere near him.

And yes, as amazing and electrifying he is as a returner, his technique as a WR is awful as you correctly note on the go route.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I still feel like maybe Trestman would have known how to better use Hester. At that point though Hester wanted nothing to do with Wide Receiver in Chicago. He probably saw it as that was always going to be his last season in Chicago. What I don't get though is that Hester almost signed with Tampa it seemed like, which would seem dumb given he was just done being used wrong by a Lovie Smith coaching staff.

That's been part of my point. He shit on the Bears coaches the 'last 3-4 years in Chicago'. For 3 of those years, his head coach was his surrogate father Lovie Smith. His ST coach was the best in the business (Toub) and the guy that got him the original success. His OC was a guy who is currently one of his coaches (Tice).

Kinda bizarre.

It's no different than what I see in the corporate world every day. Some people just need a change of scenery.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
But he was so dominant against the Bucs! They have figured out how to use him because he scored an offensive TD in a blowout victory against the worst team in the league!!!

That really was insane when you think about it. Unfortunately all of the post game because the Deion/Devin circle jerk which not one person on Earth could translate. Would have like to hear more analysis about Tampa. Seriously, that might have been the worst team performance I've ever seen in an NFL game. I was embarrassed for CBS and the NFL.

But hey, Bernstein gets more fodder for his 'Thursday night football games suck' thing, because that game was pathetic. I was watching it just to see if they could score 180 points on TB.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Get over it. Hester was one of the greatest Bear players of all time. He will retire a Bear and go into the HOF as a Bear. Congrats Hester, I will continue to cheer for you.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Good for him breaking the record. Fuck him for talking shit. Most people won't realize that he was talking shit because no one can understand wtf he's saying.

PLEASE kick the shit out of the Falcons, Bears.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Is it breaking news that Cutler is, at best, a prickly character? Why do the people on this MB feel so hurt by the truth? Cutler is not that nice and the Bears didn't put Devin in position to succeed. I have it on good authority that Devin also said that Chicago sits on a lake and that the Sun rises in the sky.

No, it's not breaking news. But it's breaking news that Hester didn't get along with Cutler.

AMEN. The amount of crying because Devin isn't wearing his Bears underoos... It would be better if he just flat out said, Cutler is a jerk and what kind of offensive genius can't figure out how to get me 5-6 touches in space? I said the same thing last year. Trestman ain't no genius if he can't even use Hester as a decoy on offense.

See above. Whining about somebody expressing a negative opinion about the Bears.

Oh, the Bears fans are the ones whining? Nah, man. This ain't whining. We're just pointing out that Hester is taking shots at a franchise that did a lot for him.

And the rest of what I'm going to say comes from the Twitter account of the Bears Blog @StartKyleOrton, because nailed it last night.

I wonder why Devin Hester couldn't get along with Jay and yet Brandon and Alshon and Bennett all seem to. What do those guys do differently?
Devin's on pace for 672 yards receiving this year, had 757 his first year with Jay. But he's better, I guess?
The Bears made Devin the highest paid kick returner in the NFL.
They ran him out there as a starting wide receiver for FIVE YEARS.
At one point he got the starting nod over a healthy goddamn Alshon Jeffery.
Mike Martz ran the wildcat with him. They gave him 30 rushing attempts. He was targeted 70+ times in a season three times, 90+ twice.
He also had a fucking 10% drop rate his last year. Dropped six passes on 56 targets the year before that.
He has two catches in his last two games. Two. How the fuck is Atlanta doing a better job of getting you the ball, Devin?
Just for funsies Devin avg'd 3.1 offensice touches per game from 2008-2012. He's averaging 2.6 as a Falcon. But the Bears underutilized him.

But, no, the Bears didn't try to use Hester on offense. Not at all.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the answer is, no

I had no problem with how he played overall. I had a problem with him not being used better and with a D that didn't force enough punts. As i said last year, as long as he is a big enough threat to cause the team to have top ten field position I have a roster spot for him.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
No, it's not breaking news. But it's breaking news that Hester didn't get along with Cutler.

Oh, the Bears fans are the ones whining? Nah, man. This ain't whining. We're just pointing out that Hester is taking shots at a franchise that did a lot for him.

And the rest of what I'm going to say comes from the Twitter account of the Bears Blog @StartKyleOrton, because nailed it last night.

Dem stats don't lie. Nice find.

I'm still amazed that a human being that is going to be 32 years old can struggle so much with the English language. Man, man, man, man.

When I hear Deion, Devin and Michael Irvin have a chat, I think of the shiny happy people who said 'we are all the same on the inside' and think 'umm yeah, no'

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They didn't use him for one snap last year.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I had no problem with how he played overall. I had a problem with him not being used better and with a D that didn't force enough punts. As i said last year, as long as he is a big enough threat to cause the team to have top ten field position I have a roster spot for him.

For $3M? Who would you like to have removed from the team then?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

Correct. And they only had the #2 scoring offense in the NFL.

Dummies! They should have taken targets away from Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte and Martellus Bennett for a guy with Devin's glorious track record on offense.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Yeah, and the number two scoring offense in the NFL really struggled without him.

Ever stop to think that, maybe, he wasn't good enough to play on that offense?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, and the number two scoring offense in the NFL really struggled without him.

I still thought they could have used him as a 4th WR and had him run deep routes or decoy routes...That said, I didn't miss him an ounce on offense last year.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They weren't the number two scoring offense. The D and Specials scored some of those TDs. I think they were top 5 anyway, so no complaints, but let's stay accurate.

Clearly the offense didn't need him most of the time but when they got some guys hurt late in the year and had to drag out Weems it seemed short sighted to not have Devin ready.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Good for him breaking the record. Fuck him for talking shit. Most people won't realize that he was talking shit because no one can understand wtf he's saying.

PLEASE kick the shit out of the Falcons, Bears.
Didn't stay on that abortion of a football game long enough to see the post game, but what ever Devin said...meh. He is a poorly spoken emotional guy, just like after the Lovie firing. As a Bear fan I wouldn't take it to heart. If he ends up with more than 35-45 rec, I would revisit his potential value as a WR, but I think it is more him speaking in the moment.

Nick80

They weren't the number two scoring offense. The D and Specials scored some of those TDs. I think they were top 5 anyway, so no complaints, but let's stay accurate.

Clearly the offense didn't need him most of the time but when they got some guys hurt late in the year and had to drag out Weems it seemed short sighted to not have Devin ready.

Was he not dinged up the majority of last season on and off and was in agreement that he only wanted to be a KR/PR ... Renders this point moot.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I still thought they could have used him as a 4th WR and had him run deep routes or decoy routes...That said, I didn't miss him an ounce on offense last year.

I was thinking that for a while as well. But when four of your five skills guys are Bennett, Forte, Marshall, and Jeffery, do you really need a 5th as a decoy?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This shit again!!! Oh, fuck.

The truth. I don't see whats offensive about being accurate in the words we use to describe things. The offense was great. it was not the number two scoring offense. What is the problem with telling the truth.