The draft is a+ so far

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not hugely thrilled about Smith given our current roster makeup. I don't doubt that he'll be excellent, but just not sure how that squad will fit together for the next couple years (until Trev is gone and they get a true 3-4 Mike)

"Might be the most talented" [by one of a million "scouts" writing for a website] means fuck all. Again, I'm not complaining about the pick, but no one had Miller as the top WR in this draft. It seems they traded up, and got their guy, right around where he should have been taken. I have no issue with that.

Daniels may have been a #1 C on many boards, but there is no way he was ahead of Nelson or McGlinchey as a general "o-line" prospect.

Again: I'm not complaining about the picks where they were made, but this "we got the #1 prospect at 3 different positions" thing is just a tad ridiculous.

I like that Pace had the discipline to stay put and take a top tier prospect in Smith even though it wasn't the highest need. I respect that.

The Bears kicked the can on an edge rusher and its probably going to hurt them all year, but I am glad Pace didn't do anything stupid in trying to force a solution to that problem. They were in a position to get an elite prospect and imo, they did that at a position that needs help.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What are you saying? You're pissed they didn't get the top overall prospect at each position they drafted?

Not sure if sarcasm or not. If not: please try to follow the conversation.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Ok...I settled on Mr. Smith.. this draft is A+.... Not mierda

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Not sure if sarcasm or not. If not: please try to follow the conversation.

You told me weeks ago that if the Bears did not get Nelson, Smith, and Fitzpatrick you'd be paying for the billboard to get Pace out of here.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I like that Pace had the discipline to stay put and take a top tier prospect in Smith even though it wasn't the highest need. I respect that.

The Bears kicked the can on an edge rusher and its probably going to hurt them all year, but I am glad Pace didn't do anything stupid in trying to force a solution to that problem. They were in a position to get an elite prospect and imo, they did that at a position that needs help.

I question the Landry vs Daniels decision more than any of the others so far. Obviously, that was a medical call, but we'll have to see how that plays out.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I have it at a A- to B+, what I like most is Pace has had a coherent plan from the beginning of the offseason through the first half of the draft, and he is executing:

1) Bring in waves of talent at the WR position and solve the most pressing talent deficit on the roster, CHECK.
2) Get younger and better suited for the new offense on the OL, CHECK.
3) Retain Fangio and give him speed/talent to play with, CHECK.

I can't say it's all exactly what I would have done, but he's following through with clear purpose and decisiveness like a real GM does.

I am still 100% pumped to see this team compete in 2018 and think we're a few finishing pieces away from being an 8-8 team IF the new OFF in installed efficiently and we can avoid the injury bug that has so horrifically hobbled this franchise of late.

Better yet, MT is in a much better position to be successful in his 2nd yr than he was when chosen. Let's be honest, this coming year is certainly about competing, but even more important is getting MT into the new offense and allowing him to flourish. If that happens, we will be set to compete for the playoffs in 2019.

Its amazing what can be done when you have an organization, a GM, a Head Coach, and a QB all lined up and on the same page.

About fucking time Bears. About fucking time.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Smith may be DROY, a 10x All-Pro, and the next great Chicago Bear defensive player.....but I just think the pick itself was very bland.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its amazing what can be done when you have an organization, a GM, a Head Coach, and a QB all lined up and on the same page.

Exactly what have they done that's "amazing?" Draft players were there was a clear need?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

We are in agreement for once.

One of the worst things you can do is overvalue a player in the draft because you have a need.

Rex Grossman is a perfect example of when the Bears did that - as is really any QB not named Carson Palmer from that draft - it was a bad year for QBs, and because people had needs, people took QBs that didn't last more than one to two contracts in the league, and never more than one contract as a starter.

Its better to kick the can and take the pain for a year than reach and be tied in to a bad player for several years.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Exactly what have they done that's "amazing?" Draft players were there was a clear need?

What's amazing is your ability to ask a question in bad faith and bitch about inane things.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Flip flopper

It's called calming down after missing out on James...I did go off and I still have some concerns about his hamstring injury. But if Smith can play like he did in Georgia.. Ill be happy...mierda I feel a bit gnarly because I loved Minkah too. And Edmunds, Davenport...blah blah...

emaugust

Sort of a big deal...
Liked Posts:
In a way it is kind of genius to have 2 legitimate combo guard/centers. Being able to slide both of them in and out is a nice safety net in terms of OL depth.

I imagine our last post-draft free agency push is now going to be at edge. We still have like 16-18M after the rookie pool is spent right?

emaugust

Sort of a big deal...
Liked Posts:

You make it sound so obvious. We are very capable of not drafting good players to fill clear needs!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are in agreement for once.

One of the worst things you can do is overvalue a player in the draft because you have a need.

Rex Grossman is a perfect example of when the Bears did that - as is really any QB not named Carson Palmer from that draft - it was a bad year for QBs, and because people had needs, people took QBs that didn't last more than one to two contracts in the league, and never more than one contract as a starter.

Its better to kick the can and take the pain for a year than reach and be tied in to a bad player for several years.

Basically agree, but Grossman and the QB position in general are a terrible example. Its like the only place where forcing a little is kinda permissible.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
In a way it is kind of genius to have 2 legitimate combo guard/centers. Being able to slide both of them in and out is a nice safety net in terms of OL depth.

I imagine our last post-draft free agency push is now going to be at edge. We still have like 16-18M after the rookie pool is spent right?

They have three now as Kush plays both guard and center too.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Way to much optimism in this thread. Tone it down. :smug2:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Smith may be DROY, a 10x All-Pro, and the next great Chicago Bear defensive player.....but I just think the pick itself was very bland.

The only thing bland about it, was that it was the pick that Pace SHOULD have made given the situation we were in at the draft, and with our roster.

Some people think Edmunds would have been the sexy pick there. And maybe Fangio could have developed that guy. But have you seen his tape? Yikes. Its gonna take him and his coaches a lot of time and effort to turn him into a legit NFL player.