Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I'm not hugely thrilled about Smith given our current roster makeup. I don't doubt that he'll be excellent, but just not sure how that squad will fit together for the next couple years (until Trev is gone and they get a true 3-4 Mike)

"Might be the most talented" [by one of a million "scouts" writing for a website] means fuck all. Again, I'm not complaining about the pick, but no one had Miller as the top WR in this draft. It seems they traded up, and got their guy, right around where he should have been taken. I have no issue with that.

Daniels may have been a #1 C on many boards, but there is no way he was ahead of Nelson or McGlinchey as a general "o-line" prospect.

Again: I'm not complaining about the picks where they were made, but this "we got the #1 prospect at 3 different positions" thing is just a tad ridiculous.

I never said I agreed with him, just saying I can see someone coming to the same conclusion.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Damn there's so much positivity in this thread (with plenty of actual football talk for disagreement). I love it. Now let's get some solid development talent to round out this draft!

Preferably another WR to ensure Bellamy leaves town.

Uabhusker

Liked Posts:
What are you saying? You're pissed they didn't get the top overall prospect at each position they drafted?

I laughed at that too. It’s like he thinks only competent GM’s get number one prospect at every position. Like there aren’t 31 other teams picking after him.

How about this. Pace sucks because he didn’t get Chub, Nelson and Ridley. Bring out the pitchforks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I laughed at that too. It’s like he thinks only competent GM’s get number one prospect at every position. Like there aren’t 31 other teams picking after him.

How about this. Pace sucks because he didn’t get Chub, Nelson and Ridley. Bring out the pitchforks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of you have no clue what the conversation is actually about.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Smith may be DROY, a 10x All-Pro, and the next great Chicago Bear defensive player.....but I just think the pick itself was very bland.

I feel the same way. I think Smith will be a great player for us, but I wasn't overly excited about the pick. Sometimes those end up being the best ones though, kinda like the Whitehair pick. The vibe I'm getting from the board is people are more excited about Miller then they are about Smith.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Smith may be DROY, a 10x All-Pro, and the next great Chicago Bear defensive player.....but I just think the pick itself was very bland.

as was the 2a. 2b was exciting. He had Smith and Davenport there at 1 so it was difficult to fuck up. Same with 2 and Daniels, Landry and Sutton. He went with the a combo of high floor and reliability, safest pick. No reaching for the stars this year. Jumping up for Miller was a real spark to the process and made pick 2a that much more correct.

If he can find a way to move up for Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in 4 this draft would continue it's A+ trend.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I feel the same way. I think Smith will be a great player for us, but I wasn't overly excited about the pick. Sometimes those end up being the best ones though, kinda like the Whitehair pick. The vibe I'm getting from the board is people are more excited about Miller then they are about Smith.

It's just because of how and where we got him. Only idiots would have an issue with the price paid for the move.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
With as many holes as we had on the roster coming into this off-season, I don't know how you good complain about the job Pace has done filling them. The only really pressing need left is edge rusher but they feel really good about Lynch.

But man, between free agency and now hitting some needs here with the draft and getting your defensive qb... Some big steps in the right direction. We were never going come out of this off-season as contenders. This is another year for gathering talent and implementing the new offense. Looking really good so far.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you aren't excited about the Smith pick you really haven't paid attention. It wasn't sexy because he is not an offensive player or some specimen with ridiculous measurements.

You need to look at what is there. The guy is very football smart, fast, and a great tackler. He is the best football player on defense in this draft. What I mean by that is he knows football and is fundamentally the best player on D. If he was a couple inches taller he would not have gone at 8. For those people who say "I want someone who is really good at football, not just a physical specimen project", this is your guy.

By the way this guy is very fast and he plays football at a high rate of speed all the time. He was one of the fastest LBers at the combine.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
With regards to the trade with NE.....that was a ridiculously small price to pay for a second rounder.

You basically paid a 4th rounder to move your second round pick up one year for a major area of need in one of the most critical positions. Anyone who has an issue with this needs their head examined.

Luke

Liked Posts:
With regards to the trade with NE.....that was a ridiculously small price to pay for a second rounder.

You basically paid a 4th rounder to move your second round pick up one year for a major area of need in one of the most critical positions. Anyone who has an issue with this needs their head examined.

no doubt. future draft picks are valued a round lower and I was under the assumption in the middle of that round.
In this case, the Bears traded their 2019 2nd (190) and 105 (84) for a total of 274. Even if it were at the top of that round it would be 265 + 84 = 349. In return, they received 51 (390). This was a total fleece either way, unbelievable!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Also, typically NFL teams value next year's picks a round later too.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
no doubt. future draft picks are valued a round lower and I was under the assumption in the middle of that round.
In this case, the Bears traded their 2019 2nd (190) and 105 (84) for a total of 274. Even if it were at the top of that round it would be 265 + 84 = 349. In return, they received 51 (390). This was a total fleece either way, unbelievable!

That's what's generally quoted but it's really more like 1/2 a round or so. Teams also do consider who they are trading with and where they are likely to pick the following year. We may surprise but NE probably was thinking they'd move up some spots from where they were this year. Regardless, still a killer deal for the Bear.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let’s start with the cost of doing business. Future picks are typically valued as middle picks from the next round. For example, a “future #1” is valued as if it is the 48th pick in the draft (the middle of the second round). Thus, when Ryan Pace traded a “future #2” to New England, he was actually trading the value of #80. That has a book value of 190 points. He then added #105, which carries a value of 84 points. That means that in terms of traditional value, Pace offered 274 points. In exchange, he received pick #51, which carries a book value of 390 points. He paid roughly 70 cents on the dollar. For those who prefer the Rich Hill draft chart (and you should--it’s a work of beauty), Pace paid the value of #80 (56.02) and #105 (32.26) in order to buy #51 (112.03). By this standard, Pace paid 79 cents on the dollar.
Let’s put it another way. Assume that the Bears completely bottom out and that 2nd-rounder is actually #33. That means that it’s “best” value is actually that of #65 (265). This isn’t how NFL teams traditionally do math, but let’s try to make it seem like Pace messed up. That means that the Patriots walked away with 349 points of value and the Bears walked away with 390 points of value.
No matter how you try to skew the numbers, Pace made a good deal by traditional draft trade standards. Another way of thinking about it is this--Pace bought a current second-rounder with a future second-rounder, leveraging a fourth-rounder to pay for the advance. Because he wanted the pick now, he was always going to suffer the one-round downgrade. However, all up and down either chart, no matter where the Bears end up drafting next year, there is not a single “move” down one round that is worth only #105. On the Johnson chart, the closest distance between a 2nd-rounder and a 3rd-rounder is 154 points, way beyond the value of #105. On the Hill chart, the closest distance is 39.38 points (which is actually the value of #96, not #105).

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...-ryan-pace-hill-johnson-draft-chart-good-deal

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

It was a great move no doubt. Maybe Bill is checking out.

Luke

Liked Posts:
That's what's generally quoted but it's really more like 1/2 a round or so. Teams also do consider who they are trading with and where they are likely to pick the following year. We may surprise but NE probably was thinking they'd move up some spots from where they were this year. Regardless, still a killer deal for the Bear.

that does seem more like it. Hard to believe BB would get snookered.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
correct...people will bemoan the fact that we don't have a second round pick next year.....we got it a year early this year

Pace is really hitting his stride and I believe he's still the youngest GM in the league. I've really like each of the last three draft classes and year one netted two starters in Goldman and Amos. It feels like he's building the foundation for long term success.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe these past two seasons are what is going to propel the Bears into a playoff contention team.

It is the beginning of the beginning for the Bears to be competitive for several years to come.