The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

TheDane

Liked Posts:
At this point, the Pack has more experience developing qb's than we do. we passed, they took him. Right now they look smarter than us .

They look smarter than us because they picked a player that we didn't like? So... We'd actually look smart if we picked a guy we didn't like? Right.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
If Hundley came here and Cutler plays like shit the pressure would be on him to start and play. Hundley is 2-3 years away from starting he needs a lot of work and he is in a great situation because no one is going to ask to replace rodgers any time soon and he can sit and learn and develop properly.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
At this point, the Pack has more experience developing qb's than we do. we passed, they took him. Right now they look smarter than us .

Sure but doesn't mean the GM isn't capable of evaluating QB talent. He worked with the Saints for so long watching Drew Brees become a HOF QB. You don't think he knows a thing or two about what a good QB is supposed to look like? And the Pack have also missed on plenty of developmental QBs as well. Past history also doesn't make present moves automatically look good. You have no ways of saying that the Packers look smarter than the Bears when there haven't even been a single practice with any of the players. You can say you think they look smarter but don't make it out to seem like fact.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They look smarter than us because they picked a player that we didn't like? So... We'd actually look smart if we picked a guy we didn't like? Right.

Based on our history at picking Qb's ( or trading for) , we do not know what to like.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
With that said, it's amazing how Bears fans haven't learned from the past two years. Many on here were saying the same things when Emery made his first draft. Many were justifying those picks at the time. And many of those picks turned into busts. We simply don't know enough about Pace or his philosophy to make yet another declaration of what another great GM we have.

I bet many Bears-fans do try to justify the new GM's moves. I don't, though. If I like it, I like it. If I hate it, I hate it.

I remember the '12-draft very, very vividly. I remember hating every single pick that Emery made. Every. Single. One. Even Jeffery! I thought his route-running looked sloppy, and many reports out of South Carolina mentioned weight- and character issues. I hated the thought of possibly drafting that guy. Imagine my horror when Emery actually traded up to get him... Oh well, don't I look like a dumbass for that now :shot:

I really like what Pace has done so far with this team, both in FA and in the draft. Of course the defense doesn't look particularly strong, but Pace had to be a wizard to fix the defense in one off-season.

This is the first time I can truly say this about a Bears-draft: I get each and every one of our picks. Of course there's things I would've done differently here and there, but overall I really like it.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
no it's not pointless. My qb would look like Staubach, Tarkenton, Cunninham, Steve Young, A. Rodgers ( 40 time4.7), Luck (4.6), Wilson.....these guys make things happen when things go wrong. I don't want a guy who doesn't have the mobility to either buy time on the move or pick a 1st down on his own.

Top 5 40 times of QBs in the last few drafts:

Quarterback40-yard dash (rank)Draft position
Logan Thomas4.61 seconds (1st)???
Stephen Morris4.63 seconds (2nd)???
Connor Shaw4.66 seconds (3rd)???
Johnny Manziel4.68 seconds (4th)???
Derek Carr4.69 seconds (5th)???
Geno Smith4.59 seconds (1st)39th overall
E.J. Manuel4.65 seconds (2nd)16th overall
Matt Scott4.69 seconds (3rd)Undrafted
MarQueis Gray4.73 seconds (4th)Undrafted
Colby Cameron4.78 seconds (5th)Undrafted
Robert Griffin III4.41 seconds (1st)2nd overall
Russell Wilson4.55 seconds (2nd)75th overall
Jordan Jefferson4.65 seconds (3rd)Undrafted
Andrew Luck4.67 seconds (4th)1st overall
Aaron Corp4.72 seconds (5th)Undrafted
Tyrod Taylor4.51 seconds (1st)180th overall
Colin Kaepernick4.53 seconds (2nd)36th overall
Jake Locker4.59 seconds (3rd)8th overall
Cam Newton4.59 seconds (3rd)1st overall
Blaine Gabbert4.62 seconds (5th)10th overall

Would say a majority of those players are complete and utter busts or were never in the league. Wilson, Luck, and Newton are the only ones out of the 20 QBs with the best times that support your argument. Maybe you can put Kaep, Carr and RG3 on unknowns so we can omit them. that's still a 3/17 over the last 4 drafts on the best 40 times. Pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things and are simply exceptions to the rules.

Taken from http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...NFL_Combines_top_40yard_dash_QBs_end_up022314 which was from last year so sorry for the lack of draft position for 2014.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Sure but doesn't mean the GM isn't capable of evaluating QB talent. He worked with the Saints for so long watching Drew Brees become a HOF QB. You don't think he knows a thing or two about what a good QB is supposed to look like? And the Pack have also missed on plenty of developmental QBs as well. Past history also doesn't make present moves automatically look good. You have no ways of saying that the Packers look smarter than the Bears when there haven't even been a single practice with any of the players. You can say you think they look smarter but don't make it out to seem like fact.

Give us the Qb's they missed on vs all the garbage we've had over the years up to jay. They either get the starter they want, a guy who can step in and win or they can find a trade partner for their Qb. Hell, we could even trade jay sorry-azz, nobody wanted him. How smart do we look? jay is suppose to be a known qualtity.....and the Titans are like....."no jay".

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
1[7] Chicago Bears: WR Kevin White [West Virginia] 6'3" 215lbs. 4.35 [40], 23 reps, 36.5" vert, 10'3" broad

BPA and has a endless ceiling and wont be demanded to be the #1 from day one. Very happy with this pick

2[39] Chicago Bears: NT Eddie Goldman [Florida St] 6'4" 336lbs. 5.26 [40], 26" vert, 19 reps

Again BPA Big athletic NT who is already a very good run stuffer. Fangio gets his big Dlineman who was projected as a 1st round pick.

3[71]Chicago Bears: C Hroniss Grasu [Oregon] 6'3" 297lbs. 5.01 [40]

Not a sexy pick but should be a starter for the next decade and already has familiarity with our pro bowl RG. Solid pick

4[106] Chicago Bears: RB Jeremy Langford [Michigan St] 5'11" 208lbs. 4.42 [40], 34.5" vert, 9'10" broad, 19 reps

Decent RB prospect that has added value because of his 3rd down ability has some upside and adds some speed to the backfield and plays ST.

5[142] S Adrian Amos [Penn St] 6' 218lbs. 4.37 [40], 21 reps, 35.5" vert 10'2" broad

I really like this pick 5th round value. Has a lot of athletic ability and is good in coverage. Still needs to get better but a high upside pick that may turn into a gem.

6[183] OT Tayo Fabuluje [TCU] 6'6" 353lbs. 5.55 [40], 16 reps, 29.5" vert

Again a high upside pick. People question his commitment to football but had to step away from all the right reasons. Slimmed down to 330 on his pro day and plays with a ton of natural power and is more agile than one would think at his size. Needs a lot of coaching up but another low risk high reward.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Based on our history at picking Qb's ( or trading for) , we do not know what to like.

I'm agreeing with you. We've been horrible at QB-scouting and developing in the past.

But this is new management. You don't know whether Ryan Pace knows how to scout QB's. And just because he declined to draft a guy that you liked, doesn't mean that he's wrong and knows nothing. We'll have to see, I guess.

Btw, if the Bears are so shitty at developing QB's as you say, why go and pick one of the guys in the draft that needs the most work?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Top 5 40 times of QBs in the last few drafts:

Logan Thomas4.61 seconds (1st)???
Stephen Morris4.63 seconds (2nd)???
Connor Shaw4.66 seconds (3rd)???
Johnny Manziel4.68 seconds (4th)???
Derek Carr4.69 seconds (5th)???
Geno Smith4.59 seconds (1st)39th overall
E.J. Manuel4.65 seconds (2nd)16th overall
Matt Scott4.69 seconds (3rd)Undrafted
MarQueis Gray4.73 seconds (4th)Undrafted
Colby Cameron4.78 seconds (5th)Undrafted
Robert Griffin III4.41 seconds (1st)2nd overall
Russell Wilson4.55 seconds (2nd)75th overall
Jordan Jefferson4.65 seconds (3rd)Undrafted
Andrew Luck4.67 seconds (4th)1st overall
Aaron Corp4.72 seconds (5th)Undrafted
Tyrod Taylor4.51 seconds (1st)180th overall
Colin Kaepernick4.53 seconds (2nd)36th overall
Jake Locker4.59 seconds (3rd)8th overall
Cam Newton4.59 seconds (3rd)1st overall
Blaine Gabbert4.62 seconds (5th)10th overall

Would say a majority of those players are complete and utter busts or were never in the league. Wilson, Luck, and Newton are the only ones out of the 20 QBs with the best times that support your argument. Maybe you can put Kaep, Carr and RG3 on unknowns so we can omit them. that's still a 3/17 over the last 4 drafts on the best 40 times. Pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things and are simply exceptions to the rules.

Taken from http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...NFL_Combines_top_40yard_dash_QBs_end_up022314 which was from last year so sorry for the lack of draft position for 2014.

You got it WRONG. I said, if you were reading. I want a Qb who can make plays in or outta' the pocket. I gave ya "template of Qb's" with the skill I like.
Go look at the examples.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Give us the Qb's they missed on vs all the garbage we've had over the years up to jay. They either get the starter they want, a guy who can step in and win or they can find a trade partner for their Qb. Hell, we could even trade jay sorry-azz, nobody wanted him. How smart do we look? jay is suppose to be a known qualtity.....and the Titans are like....."no jay".

I don't get how you equate past failures with the current GM? He just got in here and it's his first draft. He has no QB history with the Bears, so how can you talk about past QBs. Pace was stuck with Jay. It's his job as a GM to do his due diligence to see what he can get for players. Titans have the #2 pick, they know they can get their franchise QB and not pay for a vet. Doesn't mean that Pace looks bad or anything like that. Apparently he also looked into trades for Bennett, traded Marshall, and there were talks for Forte too. Clearly it isn't just Cutler.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
I believe the Pack has had something like 12 starting Qb's since 1970. I COULD argue the Bears have far more experience with recognizing what ISN'T an NFL Qb.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
You got it WRONG. I said, if you were reading. I want a Qb who can make plays in or outta' the pocket. I gave ya "template of Qb's" with the skill I like.
Go look at the examples.

You just gave a list of a bunch of HOF or future HOF QBs. There are also players like Manning and Brady who have very little out of pocket play making abilities who do fantastically well in the league too. I asked you at the very beginning what your fascination with the 40 time is. Why not take a look at their vertical measurements too? That also measures explosiveness and probably a better evaluation of quickness and short burst. Would be a better indicator of elusiveness and playmaking ability no? That's all I was asking, I just didn't understand your use of the 40 time to evaluate a QB's playmaking abilities.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
We bring in a worthless UDFA Qb like Shane Carden (4.9 40).
You keep going on and on about Shane Carden's 4.9 40 time. If you want someone with a great 40 time, sign Bolt.

I will give you a 40 time of a QB and you tell me if he was any good.

Here it is: 5.28 40

So was he any good?

The person with the 5.28 40 = Tom Brady
(how about 5.1 for Philip Rivers?)

Mr. Sir

Liked Posts:
Go look at the examples.
Run... what is the point . You sound like bradys wife saying he cant throw and catch it... jesus man they drafted a rb get over it.. if hundly is the next brady then every team would have passed him over round after round... and "missed" on the pick. You sound like a child in a pissing match with a sibling...fuck there is like 5 pages of this shit people like you are making this site damn near unreadable. That sucks for those of us who do not live in chicago and come here for bear news.... shm

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:

Why do you keep F'ing up your quotes man, lol. Nobody looks dumb except the previous GM that made the long-term deal. That's one reason why the organization cleaned house. We are paying and average QB top dollar which is ridiculous. If we were paying him money between 15-20 ranked QB it would be fine.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Bears are most improved team in NFC North per Todd McShay

I was torn between the Bears and Vikings for this one, as Minnesota got a pair of potential starters at need positions in CB Trae Waynes and LB Eric Kendricks and two high-ceiling value picks in OT T.J. Clemmings and WR Stefon Diggs. But I just don’t think the Bears had a bad pick in this draft. They got a likely starter at wide receiver at No. 7 overall in Kevin White, they filled another need position with nose tackle Eddie Goldman in the second round, and center Hroniss Grasu and running back Jeremy Langford could both develop into major contributors. (Langford, in particular, could take over for Matt Forte after he hits free agency next offseason.) This is a good class.

...but what does he know.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If someone had told me in January the Bears were going to walk out of the draft with 3 first-year starters including two consensus first round picks and the best C in the draft (before Erving switched inside), I'd have done a backflip.