The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Sure he's not mobile. Define playmaker? A QB playmaker can be someone that makes good decisions and gets the ball to who he needs to get it to no? Does that require great mobility or anything like that? I'm just curious about why it would be an issue for a QB if he's a pocket passer? Is it nice to have someone who can avoid pressure? Sure but that's more about pocket awareness than about 40 speed. in fact the 40 barely shows mobility, it just shows straight line speed, something no QB ever really needs. I just think there are much better measureables that can show why a player isn't explosive or whatever, but the 40 time seems so pointless in this case.

Also, it might not even be that the Bears don't find him worth drafting, but that there were other players who were rated ahead of him. Apparently Pace was very strict on keeping to his big board for BPA. If that's the case, then maybe there were just always better players rated ahead of Hundley that were available when we selected? Just looking at other possibilities. Main point is that, lots of people didn't like Hundley and clearly lots of QB needy teams also passed on him, so just because a team like GB who had a plethora of compensenatory picks too, chose a luxury pick of a back-up QB doesn't mean that it was wrong that the Bears didn't, nor does it mean that they had NO interest, just that it could be there were better players available at the time for the team? [/QUOTE]

do u believe this

Why not? 32 teams passed on Hundley at least 4 times. Just because you think he's a talented player doesn't mean that on Pace's big board there weren't other players available at the time that would be considered BPA? No one here knows what Pace's board looked like or even if they thought highly of Hundley. Obviously they thought less highly of him than other players.

I get that you're unhappy with the lack of a QB pick, but there is no point in picking a QB if the FO doesn't feel there is one worth taking. Hundley, pre-draft, was supposed to be the #3/4 QB off the board, instead he dropped significantly. So either every team's scouting department is less knowledgeable than you, and we missed out on the next Brady, or Hundley really might not be a player worth picking up?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
a Qb who can make plays in or outta the pocket. A Qb who's a constant threat to the "D". A qb who can buy time for the wr's.

Agreed, none of which requires a blazing fast 40 speed. QBs can buy time by having good pocket awareness and good feet. If they keep their eyes up field and are able to make consistent throws, they would be a constant threat to the D and just because you don't have a crazy 40 doesn't mean you can't make plays outside of the pocket. Again, the 40 time by your definition of a playmaking QB is pretty pointless no?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Maybe. But, if I'm an opposing OC/QB. I am salivating at the opportunity to shred our secondary. We are still near the bottom of the NFL in LB/CB/S.

Far too many holes to plug in one offseason.

You have no idea how our secondary will be next year. Shit nobody knows how any of our team will be next year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Much respect to you Windy. You bring a lot of knowledge to the board.

With that said, it's amazing how Bears fans haven't learned from the past two years. Many on here were saying the same things when Emery made his first draft. Many were justifying those picks at the time. And many of those picks turned into busts. We simply don't know enough about Pace or his philosophy to make yet another declaration of what another great GM we have.

I will say that outside of the RB selection, Pace made logical picks. He didn't look for the 'hidden gem' to try and impress people. I think looking at his picks, he wouldn't have selected Shea over Jones had he been the GM at that time, obviously which turned out to be a huge mistake. That in itself is a good sign....

Time will tell.

BEARS

What I am saying is that I do not feel the need to justify the picks this season.

I am as guilty as the next person for talking myself into picks that I know deep down are stupid or a poor value. I am aware that I do it because I want to feel positive. But this year I really liked each pick as it happened. I didn't find myself confused or shaking my head.

This has been the first draft in a long time where I agreed with the picks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears should not waste picks on bad QBs and hope that they turn into something.

That is the Lefevour, Enderle, Fales, approach and it is a total waste.

Here is a better approach, draft Adrian Amos develop him into a starting FS and take a need off the list, then when your team isn't full of needs use your draft picks to move up and select an ACTUAL QB prospect.

Everyone goes Tom Brady hunting trying to be cute and they end up with a ton of wasted picks each season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Carden's not mobole and not a playmaker. I just find it strange we don't see Hundley as worth drafting, but the Pack do

So you think Hundley is gonna be a starting QB in the NFL is what you're saying?? There's a reason why QB needy teams passed on him for 4 rounds and actually 5 cause he was chosen near then end of 5. You have teams like Cleveland, Buffalo and the Jets passing on him and all those teams are known for reaching on QB's in the draft and that really says a lot. Fox is gonna take the ball out of Cutler's hands and run the ball which is the reason why we have Forte, j.Rodgers, K.Carey and now J.Langford. The reason why i like K.White so much is because he's not only a guy that can go deep but he might be best used for the short slants that he can make a couple of moves and take it to the house and having him should actually help Cutler if that's even possible any more. LOL This might be more of me hoping than it is me truly believing it but i think Cutler will have a good year next year. He's gonna have his mistakes and he's gonna throw some int's but i think Fox, Gase, E.Royal, K.White, M.Bennett, a true running game with 4 RB's that can all do different things and B.Marshall being gone will all help Cutler next year.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the qbs were terrible this year. i would not be surprised if they all bust. winston i could see getting in trouble on/off the field, did you see his crab legs tweet? he's a ticking time bomb, look at manziel. mariota probably has the best shot at a legit career.

i like what windy said about us moving up to get a qb next year, or hell, taking one late 1st or early 2nd. there have been some good qbs that have come out lately in the late first or early 2nd. teddy and carr went 32 and 36. garoppolo went 60 something. wilson went 75th. foles went 88. kaep was 36. next year seems to be a much better crop of qbs.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hundley deserved to be brought in IMO.

right and I disagree. The game is evolving. Ya have to have a Qb with upside. We don't have it. We don't value the Qb position.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say we don't value the QB position. We are stuck with Cutler for at least next year. We tried to trade Cutler in the offseason and again during the draft so we could get a QB to replace him (Mariota) but to say that, because we didn't draft B.Hundley.....come on now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
All Im sayimg is the Pack moved up to get this kid. Some how, they knew or didn't fear we would take him b4 them. Im saying, that Pace as a 1st yr. GM should have put a Qb like Hundley on the roster with the 5th pick. I guarantee ya we've "whiffed" on more Qb's than GB. Again, I AM NOT DOWN ON PACE. I just don't like us not drafting a qb.

You keep saying, ' well what if Pace didn't have Hundley graded as being worthy' And I am saying I do not AGREE with it. Im saying he was wrong. I'm saying GB, who has much more success than us at developing Qb's.....agrees with my assessment as well. Yes you have every right to give Pace the " the benefit of the doubt."

I do not. We should a big-play Qb, who can make things happen in or outta of the pocket and put fear in defenses. With
Hundley's skills, we would be closer to that model.
Hahahahaha holy shit you're definitely getting carried away with your argument now. For you to think you know more than a GM is just plain silly. Not only do you not know more than any GM or scout in the NFL, you don't even know more than Mel Kiper or Todd McShay and they're both idiots. This is their jobs. It's what they get paid to do. You watch videos on the internet and games on tv. Seriously, i'm sure you know some stuff and maybe you could debate with other fans on a message board but to act like you know more than anyone that does this for a living is laughable.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Why not? 32 teams passed on Hundley at least 4 times. Just because you think he's a talented player doesn't mean that on Pace's big board there weren't other players available at the time that would be considered BPA? No one here knows what Pace's board looked like or even if they thought highly of Hundley. Obviously they thought less highly of him than other players.

I get that you're unhappy with the lack of a QB pick, but there is no point in picking a QB if the FO doesn't feel there is one worth taking. Hundley, pre-draft, was supposed to be the #3/4 QB off the board, instead he dropped significantly. So either every team's scouting department is less knowledgeable than you, and we missed out on the next Brady, or Hundley really might not be a player worth picking up?

At this point, the Pack has more experience developing qb's than we do. we passed, they took him. Right now they look smarter than us .

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Much respect to you Windy. You bring a lot of knowledge to the board.

With that said, it's amazing how Bears fans haven't learned from the past two years. Many on here were saying the same things when Emery made his first draft. Many were justifying those picks at the time. And many of those picks turned into busts. We simply don't know enough about Pace or his philosophy to make yet another declaration of what another great GM we have.

I will say that outside of the RB selection, Pace made logical picks. He didn't look for the 'hidden gem' to try and impress people. I think looking at his picks, he wouldn't have selected Shea over Jones had he been the GM at that time, obviously which turned out to be a huge mistake. That in itself is a good sign....

Time will tell.

BEARS

You know what the difference will be with this years draft picks over the last however many years draft picks?? The difference will be that we now have a coaching staff that can coach these kids the right way and get everything they can out of these kids. Hopefully it's not to late for J.Bostic and Ego Ferguson and B.Vereen and any of the other young guys we have that haven't lived up to what we thought they would be and these new coaches can get their hands on them as well and get them playing better. Having a good coaching staff is huge and something we've been missing for a long time.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Hahahahaha holy shit you're definitely getting carried away with your argument now. For you to think you know more than a GM is just plain silly. Not only do you not know more than any GM or scout in the NFL, you don't even know more than Mel Kiper or Todd McShay and they're both idiots. This is their jobs. It's what they get paid to do. You watch videos on the internet and games on tv. Seriously, i'm sure you know some stuff and maybe you could debate with other fans on a message board but to act like you know more than anyone that does this for a living is laughable.

what happened to the last GM and why?

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
The Bears should not waste picks on bad QBs and hope that they turn into something.

That is the Lefevour, Enderle, Fales, approach and it is a total waste.

Here is a better approach, draft Adrian Amos develop him into a starting FS and take a need off the list, then when your team isn't full of needs use your draft picks to move up and select an ACTUAL QB prospect.

Everyone goes Tom Brady hunting trying to be cute and they end up with a ton of wasted picks each season.

I agree. It's funny, I thought that when Phil Emery said that it was one of the smartest things he'd said.

Of course, then he turned around and drafted Fales in the 6th.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
My initial thoughts were that each pick happened in a timely manner and the Bears didn't forget to submit their selection once.

I give them an A+.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Agreed, none of which requires a blazing fast 40 speed. QBs can buy time by having good pocket awareness and good feet. If they keep their eyes up field and are able to make consistent throws, they would be a constant threat to the D and just because you don't have a crazy 40 doesn't mean you can't make plays outside of the pocket. Again, the 40 time by your definition of a playmaking QB is pretty pointless no?

no it's not pointless. My qb would look like Staubach, Tarkenton, Cunninham, Steve Young, A. Rodgers ( 40 time4.7), Luck (4.6), Wilson.....these guys make things happen when things go wrong. I don't want a guy who doesn't have the mobility to either buy time on the move or pick a 1st down on his own.