The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

From Johnny - Run and Shit has me on ignore. can someone tell this dumbass Hundley was a 5th round pick and not a 4th rounder. We took a safety over him. not a RB.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We drafted Dave Fales last year.....how can you say we neglect the QB position.

we haven't created completion at the position. jay knows he can play like crap and keep his job. Fales doesn't have much upside (40 Yrd Dash: 4.99) . Plus, avg. to below avg. Qb skill. He's not a playmaker.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
From Johnny - Run and shoot has me on ignore. can someone tell this dumbass Hundley was a 5th round pick and not a 4th rounder. We took a safety over him. not a RB.

in the future, if someone says they're on my ignore list. It means I care what they think. Thanks in advance

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
we haven't created completion at the position. jay knows he can play like crap and keep his job. Fales doesn't have much upside (40 Yrd Dash: 4.99) . Plus, avg. to below avg. Qb skill. He's not a playmaker.

And Hundley wouldn't create competition at the position for atleast 2 years.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I expect to be top 1/2. Having an O that can actually hold the ball a bit will help a lot.

Maybe. But, if I'm an opposing OC/QB. I am salivating at the opportunity to shred our secondary. We are still near the bottom of the NFL in LB/CB/S.

Far too many holes to plug in one offseason.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
a few things 1) I never said "mimic everything the Packers are doing ". However, we should try to "mimic" how they handle the Qb position.

2) Pace, IMO should have just taken Hundley, instead of a hb. You can pick up a hb anytime. So NO he wouldn't need to call Ted Thompson. We picked before the Pack took Hundley Just like he's looking at the day Forte leaves ( by drafting a hb). so should he look at the day jay departs.

1) Fair enough, even though it's hard/close to impossible to mimic having two HOF-QB's in a row.

2) Pace should've picked a QB he didn't like, just because the Packers MIGHT like him? Come on now. We're paying this guy to run the team like he said he would at his job interview - and our management was BLOWN AWAY by that job interview. Let's give this guy a chance to build a team he likes, without drafting QB's he doesn't like.

It's completely fair that you wanted Hundley instead of Langford. I bet you're not the only one. But I just don't think that you can use the Packers picking him up for anything. I mean, if they were really high on him, even they would've picked him earlier. But in the 5th he's just another QB-flier for them.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There was no favor being done for Pace by Emery signing Cutler. That was one of the worst signings in the history of the NFL. He handed Pace his biggest problem, not a favor at all.

It's called hearsay. I don't doubt that they may have inquired but they weren't going to pay a ransom, nor did they sign Jay to trade him. If Tenn had absolutely no interest in Cutler than the talks were over before they started. Why would it escalate before the draft unless Jay continued to be in the mix? There's a logical progression to things and it isn't what's described in rumor or what Kevin Costner did in Draft Day.

The rumor originated from Peter King and here is his direct quote.
"Yes, Chicago expressed some interest—but wasn’t banging the Titans’ door down—in moving up from seven to two to pick Mariota,” King wrote. “However, the Titans had zero interest in Jay Cutler, so that never got off the ground."

Even if true, it's a feeler and not a continued discussion. A lot like my scenario.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
in the future, if someone says they're on my ignore list. It means I care what they think. Thanks in advance

I'm glad you hold Johnny and my opinions with such high regard. :clap:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
1) Fair enough, even though it's hard/close to impossible to mimic having two HOF-QB's in a row.

2) Pace should've picked a QB he didn't like, just because the Packers MIGHT like him? Come on now. We're paying this guy to run the team like he said he would at his job interview - and our management was BLOWN AWAY by that job interview. Let's give this guy a chance to build a team he likes, without drafting QB's he doesn't like.

It's completely fair that you wanted Hundley instead of Langford. I bet you're not the only one. But I just don't think that you can use the Packers picking him up for anything. I mean, if they were really high on him, even they would've picked him earlier. But in the 5th he's just another QB-flier for them.

N.E. once "took a flier" on a 6th round Qb

lol......Dane, the day Hundlry comes off the bench to burn us or has any significant success, I'm gonna remind you of this discussion. I'm not down on Pace. I just want better talent at Qb.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:

Curious why you're so set on a QB's 40 yard dash time as a measure of upside and skill? You seem upset because of Carden's low time as well as Fales. You mentioned Carden's time multiple times actually. But none of that really matters for non-running QBs does it? It shows a bit of athleticism, but so does a good vertical, or any other measurable you can think of to show explosiveness. So why so set on the 40?

Also, I get you're upset about not picking Hundley, but it sounds more like you just don't want Cutler. I get that, and I'm sure everyone here does too. But Pace worked in N.O. with one of the best offensive minds and one of the league's best QBs. I think he should have a decent idea of what the ideal QB is and whether or not there was one worth drafting. Hundley was passed over MANY times by every team, so it's not like he was in high demand. If you're upset about not picking a QB, then that could be said of almost every round of the draft no?

I just think that the reality of the whole thing is that Pace has an idea of what kind of QB he wants, knows he's stuck with Cutty for at least this year, and felt there were zero QBs worth taking at any of our spots relative to other positions. He stuck to BPA on his board and is thinking long term. I don't really see a big problem with any of that.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's called hearsay. I don't doubt that they may have inquired but they weren't going to pay a ransom, nor did they sign Jay to trade him. If Tenn had absolutely no interest in Cutler than the talks were over before they started. Why would it escalate before the draft unless Jay continued to be in the mix? There's a logical progression to things and it isn't what's described in rumor or what Kevin Costner did in Draft Day.

The rumor originated from Peter King and here is his direct quote.
"Yes, Chicago expressed some interest—but wasn’t banging the Titans’ door down—in moving up from seven to two to pick Mariota,” King wrote. “However, the Titans had zero interest in Jay Cutler, so that never got off the ground."

Even if true, it's a feeler and not a continued discussion. A lot like my scenario.

They didn't sign Cutler, the prior idiots did.

So you know which rumors are true, and which are not true.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The point is Pickles, if that even is your real name, we are fucking stuck with Cutler. And more than likely we are stuck with a Cutler that knows that the current GM would prefer a different QB, if that was a possibility. And even in your version, the fucking Titans don't even want him. A total reject.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They didn't sign Cutler, the prior idiots did.

Obviously but they chose to extend him on the dotted line. If this is what the argument becomes, I've already won.

This was just over the top and hardly the general temperament of the trade is all I'm saying. If this was only about Mariota, you at least try to make this trade with Tenn back in Feb and don't sign Jay. If you don't want jay, you don't sign him, period and by sign, I mean the paperwork to pick up his option.

"The only thing that it looks like Pace went wrong with Cutler this year so far was he obviously was really pushing Cutler on Tennessee for a trade in round one. He may have just pressed too hard and drove Tennessee nuts. Finally Tennessee came out and said we are open to trades but we don't want Jay Cutler. This has to add just further humiliation for our quarterback to know that the GM is doing everything he can to get rid of him till the point where the other team comes out and says we don't want Cutler."

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Curious why you're so set on a QB's 40 yard dash time as a measure of upside and skill? You seem upset because of Carden's low time as well as Fales. You mentioned Carden's time multiple times actually. But none of that really matters for non-running QBs does it? It shows a bit of athleticism, but so does a good vertical, or any other measurable you can think of to show explosiveness. So why so set on the 40?

Also, I get you're upset about not picking Hundley, but it sounds more like you just don't want Cutler. I get that, and I'm sure everyone here does too. But Pace worked in N.O. with one of the best offensive minds and one of the league's best QBs. I think he should have a decent idea of what the ideal QB is and whether or not there was one worth drafting. Hundley was passed over MANY times by every team, so it's not like he was in high demand. If you're upset about not picking a QB, then that could be said of almost every round of the draft no?

I just think that the reality of the whole thing is that Pace has an idea of what kind of QB he wants, knows he's stuck with Cutty for at least this year, and felt there were zero QBs worth taking at any of our spots relative to other positions. He stuck to BPA on his board and is thinking long term. I don't really see a big problem with any of that.

Carden's not mobole and not a playmaker. I just find it strange we don't see Hundley as worth drafting, but the Pack do