The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Again.... fuck man u

Indeed. But fuck Madrid at the same time. No result would have been satisfying in this match up.

Good for Dortmund in their second leg today against Shakhtar. Good to see Dortmund bounce back from a horrible showing in Bundusleaga.

Tomorrow should be fun even though the Juventus/Celtic game is really going to be nothing but Juventus sitting in their 18. Celtic will come out with pride to play for and we all know what that means with Scotts...punches in the nose.

PSG/Velencia could be a good one. Will we see the all mighty Beckham in the game? WHO CARES!!! DIE FRENCH FOOTBALL..DIE!!

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! Forgot it was second leg and just turned on the tv where it was already set to the sports channel and I saw the freaking score in the Man U/ Real Madrid game!!!! NOT COOL!!!

They said the game ended in controversy What happened?

Just saw the highlites. Nani's red card was the controversy? Pretty wreckless play I can see how he got the red card on one hand. But at the same time it didn't look intentional. Questionable call for sure and probably did effect the outcome.

The Madrid manager said "the best team lost". Now that is honest coaching/managing. Seeing I didn't see the game is this true?

Guess I get to cheer against Madrid in the next round.

Worst. Red. Card. Ever.

Mind you I am neutral in this match up...

ManU owned this game from the start. They were putting on a defensive clinic. Ronaldo was hanging out with Waldo (HA! I kill me...) and Madrid was stuck. All was well and then the Red card, which has NO business as a red card (although a yellow for sure). So instead of talking about some of the incredible play, all you can think about is the red card.

Not to mention Ferguson made a FATAL error and didnt start Rooney in favor of a more defensive, veteran posture. So even with 10 men, ManU would have had a chance since their D was so solid. While the red card was crazy, ManU didnt help themselves either.

And my horse lives! Dort pretty much dominated the game and Shak will be a force, just not this year. Dort played them well and i LOVE their stadium.

BRING ON THE NEXT GAMES!

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Indeed. But fuck Madrid at the same time. No result would have been satisfying in this match up.

Good for Dortmund in their second leg today against Shakhtar. Good to see Dortmund bounce back from a horrible showing in Bundusleaga.

Tomorrow should be fun even though the Juventus/Celtic game is really going to be nothing but Juventus sitting in their 18. Celtic will come out with pride to play for and we all know what that means with Scotts...punches in the nose.

PSG/Velencia could be a good one. Will we see the all mighty Beckham in the game? WHO CARES!!! DIE FRENCH FOOTBALL..DIE!!

I love the have-all vs the have-not matches. And with Ibrahahoememovich out? VALENCIA ALL DAY!

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
nice start to the 2nd half in this PSG/Valencia match. Too bad I have to go to my dr.s appointment right when it was getting good....and right before Beckham might get on the field. He's sooo dreamy and all.

SCREW YOU PSG!!

supraman

Liked Posts:
I had crazy ass hope Celtic would pull off a miracle 4-0 win. I like Celtic, they are such underdogs

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had crazy ass hope Celtic would pull off a miracle 4-0 win. I like Celtic, they are such underdogs

HAHAHAH! Yeah, I hear ya... I didnt even watch the whole of the games, just when it was completely assured of the round outcomes. Celtic should just be stoked they beat Barcelona and got to where they did.

Really the only match left that is of big interest is Barcelona Milan. That game has the makings of an upset.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Im just waiting now to see who Juventus draws in the quarters.

Screw the rest of the teams. Its game time now.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This is who they will draw....

kids_drawings_12.jpg

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
bitter and rude!!!

Was there any reasonings giving as to why Man U didn't start Rooney that game? I forgot to ask about that.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
bitter and rude!!!

Was there any reasonings giving as to why Man U didn't start Rooney that game? I forgot to ask about that.

They really didnt say, but from my admittedly limited knowledge of the squad, it looks like Ferggie wanted to have a more defensive posture since they were ahead with the away goal. And honestly, it was working well for the first half, so it may not have been an error in judgment, just hindsight.

Really the issue was the red card and the rest of the squad just didnt get their heads back on straight. The game was certainly not out of reach with only 10 as they were still leading, but I personally think Rooney would have helped spur the squad on. Ferggie started the shape as more a 4 - 5 - 1 -ish formation and I think in his mind it was Van Perise OR Rooney since neither are very happy in a more mid-field role.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
bitter and rude!!!

Also looks like Rooney is getting shopped around too. There may be some Ferggie vs Rooney issues. Looks like PSG is showing interest in him. And why not, I mean, PSG is already "worth" like 400 mill, what is Rooney's meager 50 mill on top of it? Looks like United is making a play at getting Ronaldo back into the folds and Rooney is most likely going to find a home elsewhere.

Nothing in stone though of course.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I thought I heard transfer rumours. Yah send him to PSG with fancypants Beckham. Let em burn together. Guess it is at the point where Rooney's time is done at Man U. Expiry date is written allover his ugly face.

I wouldn't be surprised if some MSL team pays him 8 billion to play a season.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought I heard transfer rumours. Yah send him to PSG with fancypants Beckham. Let em burn together. Guess it is at the point where Rooney's time is done at Man U. Expiry date is written allover his ugly face.

I wouldn't be surprised if some MSL team pays him 8 billion to play a season.

HA! I hear ya... but I doubt at what, 26 or 27, Rooney is ready to "retire" to MLS. My guess is he will want to stay UEFA Champions at least for a couple more years.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
yah he is far from ready to retire and i may slam the guy but hes a pretty good footballer. Won't dazzle but hes strong on that damn ball and he plays a good aggressive game which i like. Just he plays for that damn Man U team which always sours me on players. And this coming from a Juventus fan so i know it makes dick all sense. Juventus might be the filthiest team in all of football.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
rooney brother mls still? could happen! rooney to the fire!

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA! It isnt whether they want him or are willing to buy him, it is that Rooney I doubt is ready to remove himself from all the big EU games/tourneys just for money like Beckham did. PSG must know something we all dont...

It isnt a question of if Rooney will get picked up, I would argue he is the best English player of his generation. But where? My guess is that he stays Premier, but a lil piece of drama to follow...

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
HA! It isnt whether they want him or are willing to buy him, it is that Rooney I doubt is ready to remove himself from all the big EU games/tourneys just for money like Beckham did. PSG must know something we all dont...

It isnt a question of if Rooney will get picked up, I would argue he is the best English player of his generation. But where? My guess is that he stays Premier, but a lil piece of drama to follow...
Oh I know exactly what the question is, I wasn't even begining to suggest he'd be in the MLS for at least another 3 or 4 years without a big Beckham contract. He'll go to the other leagues first like he did... although I believe Henry came straight to MLS? I can't remember.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I am working from home, anything good on right now?

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think at the moment. Next UEFA games are tomorrow with Schalke vs Gala (Schalke should move forward, they have one away goal and at home) and Barcelona v Milan, which is the game to watch.

Replay of Tott v Liverpool if on is worth a watch too.