The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
WOw... and free if you have the stations. Didn't expect so many, and without extra fees...</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With World Cup right around the corner, there must be an increase in viewer share. ESPN has started picking up more games as well.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
But I thought ESPN/ABC had the world cup rights? Maybe not? I can't believe NBC would put this kind of investment in just to rise the run-up to the world cup without the payoff. Unless they think the world cup could be the payoff the justifies the length of the contract?</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They do, at least until after 2014. I think Telemundo and Fox get it after. And the price tag went up signifigantly. Perhaps the sport is on the rise in the States?</p>

</p>

For NBC, I was more suggesting that in the US, soccer viewing shares may increase of any kind as the Cup draws near. And since there are so many international players in Premier, maybe they are trying for their piece of pie.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Count Dante" data-cid="192052" data-time="1366209051">
<div>

They do, at least until after 2014. I think Telemundo and Fox get it after. And the price tag went up signifigantly. Perhaps the sport is on the rise in the States?</p>

</p>

For NBC, I was more suggesting that in the US, soccer viewing shares may increase of any kind as the Cup draws near. And since there are so many international players in Premier, maybe they are trying for their piece of pie.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Yeah that's what I thought but I didn't know that Tele and Fox had it after that... interesting.</p>

</p>

This seems like an awefully big commitment to not have the world cup to rely on considering historically that has had the most impact ratings wise. Maybe they are satisfied with building from the ground up and instead of trying to get a piece of the pie they are trying to get the whole pie. If they become known as THE soccer/futbol network, it could establish the relationship down the road as a monopoly and really provide Comcast/NBC with that niche in the sports market that they are looking for to solidify and justify the NBCSports network of products beyond some hockey, ND football and worthless sports. When Dick Ebersol (I think that's who it was) was named president of the newly formed NBC/Comcast sports network stuff, including all the regional networks, he said his goal was to build a legit competitor to ESPN. This may be step on in his longterm plan. Soccer is probably the next sport up under all the other ratings giants, and this move could solidify the network as stepping up wtih the big boys.</p>

I just hope that he's not stupid enough to just buy the games and put them on. He is going to have to do a lot of other programing to justify them, and also educate people on the teams/culture and whatnot. The only way this is going to work is if he uses this opportunity to get the new American viewers as involved with a EPL team as the viewers who already are there. It can't be just about giving the people who want to see it the right to see it. He has to get people who know nothing about it to really care and follow. Only way it's going to justify the expense.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was just poking around a few related articles and it looks like NBC Sports tried for some MLB but didnt want to pay that much. While I have NO idea of the business side, 80 mill a year for the rights might be a good investment...cheaper then hockey, yeah?</p>

</p>

Migh be a risk and hell if they are gonna do it, might as well do it right. Might also be that NBC Sports didnt have many other options so give Premier a shot and toss a bunch of resources at it?</p>

</p>

I do agree that something needs to be present to teach the game. As discussed before, it is not a sport that plays to your average US sports fan. But its presence in every other country is so prevalant.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well I mean, I look at it this way, when the merger happen they said they were going to throw a boat load of money at it to make sure that they had a presence in the live sports scene. And when you think about it, it's the only programing out there now that is really still uber revenue generating and popular. Now with online viewing and dvrs, live sports is the only thing to really demand the huge revenues because it's the last bastion of things being viewed live. That and award shows and presidential announcement type stuff. So any network that wants to hang around to tell about it is going to have to go full blast in securing sports entertainment programing. First they acquired Hockey through. I believe they are also rekindling F-1. They have ND football and I think they picked up some other stuff on top of the black college games and Army recruiting game they run. They have tennis and golf the lesser ones, but now they pick up the emerging sport which is actually #1 worldwide. It's a smart move. NBCUniversal is slowly gaining a large catalog of live sports events that may only appeal to smaller sections of fans but when you put them all together and cross promote you've got quite the consumer base. If they do it right they will be big enough to go after stuff like NBA games in the future or just get big enough to buy out TNT/TBS's contracts. I don't know if they'll be successful... all there not live sports shows pretty much suck right now, but so did ESPN at the beginning. I truly hope they are and can take market share from ESPN enough to cut off their monopoly a bit and lower costs and not force so many repeated channels. fat chance of that happening I know but we'll see. More likely before we get less ESPN we'll get more NBCSports.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess because I follow and watch so few sports, that is certainly more than I knew about! I know that Fox Sports was the one who "resold" contracted soccer games to ESPN and NBC Sports has said they are not going to. Not sure if Fox/ESPN worked the same way for all the World Cup qualifiers thus far.</p>

</p>

I will be interested to see the viewer share as they roll it out. It is a 3 year contract so at least it will be there for 3 years unless they contract it out to someone.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Only games I've ever really seen on FoxSoccer are EPL games... so I'm not sure. I just remember that all the world cup stuff has been on ESPN/ABC the last few times... It's going to be very interesting. NBCUniversal seems to be putting a lot of money into locking up all the other sports that aren't major and elsewhere. Tennis I believe too. I  think they may be securing enough market share to make them viable in the arena. And if they do that, they can start generating enough revenue to compete with the big boys on other things. They already have their toe in the water with things like Sunday night football which they can now use to promote the sports on their other networks. And they have a lot of college stuff through their acquired contracts with the CSN regional sports networks. They are slowly building a very solid catalog. Even though CBS has higher profile events, I'm not sure that the NBC/Comcast Union hasn't put them ontop of them just behind ABC/ESPN.</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
The German übermensch has laid a proper ass kicking on Spanish football in the past 24 hours. 8 conceded goals. Barcelona played like ass and did not deserve anything. Was out boozing and coming home to see Dortmund beating Madrid 4-1 was a pleasant surprise. I don't care if FCB shits the bed, I want to see a German final. Goddamn.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh no question, it will be a German final. I dont see Barcelona scoring 5 without Bayern scoring 1. I havent watched the Dort game yet.</p>

</p>

It will be Bayern beating Dort is my guess but Dort was my horse and I cant complain with their performance. I just dont see Bayern getting beat. They are the most complete team of this EU Cup.</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having Götze and Lewandowski playing against their future team in the final ought to put a nice flavor to the proceedings. Dortmund is going to be my team. Their games I've seen has always been a most enjoyable affair. Bayern are the favourites of course, but it's shaping up to be a doozy. Is this a sign of German dominance on the European pitches?</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Dort is the only Bundes team I have ever seen play live so they have always been "my team". And I love the way they have played this Cup.</p>

</p>

You are right there, Bayern is just so... complete. Dante in the back is amazing running the show and Ribery (big fan of) out on the left just makes them a complete force. Bayern has crushed them this year in domestic, but at least it is #1 and #2.</p>

</p>

Not sure if it is a sign that Germany will dominate the EU Cup going forward, but it IS a sign to me that Germany is going to be a force in the World Cup. Spain v Germany v Argentina... who will win it? I would love for Spain to lose so others get a chance too... :)</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Im great with a German final. Love me German football. I wouldn't know who to cheer for though as I like both teams.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And for the first time in UEFA history, we have an all german final. Right on! Even though I dont see Bayern losing because they are just that awesome, it should be fun to watch!</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
An all German final played at Wembley no less. The Madrid game was exciting towards the end, but the Barcelona game they had just checked out. Glad to see the best teams clashing in the pinnacle of the European football season.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
hurry up may 25th</p>

</p>

I dont want to pick a winner nor do i have a fav I just want a classic German football game.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to see Dort pull out an upset but I dont see that happening and with Bayern's year domestically, I just dont see how they can be stopped.</p>

</p>

But I am with ya there... I loves me some German football.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts: