The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, there is the Reading Aston Villa replay on now... I have no pony in this fight and it's two days old, but I'm still watching because it's good background. i hope AVL wins because I believe Brad Guzman is their goalie who is considered right behind Howard a bit for the US correct?

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA! That Aston game is interesting since Aston is fighting to keep from being relegated to nPower 1 league for the first time....ever.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Barcellon said 4 goals? No problem. Yikes that team is good when they want to be. They have to be favorites now without a doubt.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was nice to see FCB taking shots from farther away than usually, instead of looking for that passing play that would take them even closer. Messi was his usual self. ACM didn't really get going at any moment. Glad that FCB advances.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
The draw for the quarter finals in Champions League

PSG/Barcellona

Bayern Munich/Juventus

Real Madrid/Galatasaray

Malaga/Dortmund

Interesting draws. Juventus has a tough one (they are all tough though). PSG vs Barcellona is supposed to be the big game in the round but I say Bacellona stomps PSG and the other 3 match ups are the ones to watch for a tighter affairs. As a Juventus fan I am concerned with the German champions.

Could be an all Spanish final this year. That wouldn't surprise me. Spain needs more football celebrating...sigh.

my winner picks

Bacellona

Bayern Munich (yup I think they beat my boys)

Real Madrid

Dortmund

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Same picks here too.

I think an all Germany or all Spain final is very possible. Although i dont think Madrid gets out of the semi round. Of the 4 "projected" winners, Madrid is the weakest of the bunch imo.

We could be so lucky to see a Barcelona v Munich final this year. That would be amazing.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Lots of World Cup qualifying games going on these days.

So many that I really can't start on any which I want to discuss (Portugals 3-3 draw with Isreal was interesting though). I like it because it reminds me WC is 1 year away!! How much do I love the 2 year rotation of WC and Eurocup?

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So many that I really can't start on any which I want to discuss. I like it because it reminds me WC is 1 year away!! How much do I love the 2 year rotation of WC and Eurocup?

Amen man! I have been using the Xbox ESPN App for highlights and I just watch those. WAY too many... I cant even watch the actual games.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

So many that I really can't start on any which I want to discuss (Portugals 3-3 draw with Isreal was interesting though). I like it because it reminds me WC is 1 year away!! How much do I love the 2 year rotation of WC and Eurocup?
Ohhh fuck off if you are just going to swing by US vs Mexico...

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Ohhh fuck off if you are just going to swing by US vs Mexico...

hahaha im not "swinging by them". I really don't pay too much attention to Concacaf teams as none are really ever real contenders come the World Cup. But Mexico/USA do usually have good games against each other. Both should qualify as usual.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
hahaha im not "swinging by them". I really don't pay too much attention to Concacaf teams as none are really ever real contenders come the World Cup. But Mexico/USA do usually have good games against each other. Both should qualify as usual.
Who cares about the how or why, it's the second time in history they've lest Azteca with a point... and one of the rare times anyone has. They should let them host the world cup there and see what happens. haha.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Folks who read the thread, I HIGHLY recommend catching the games from yesterday. The Barcelona v PSG game was... a great football match to watch that has all the drama needed. SUCH a fun match to watch.

Bayern v Juventus was also a great game but more so watching how frickin good Bayern is. Wow.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Bayern made me cry.

Damn they are good though right? No issues loosing to the Germans esp Bayern. *******!!

I gotta hand it to PSG I thought they would get slaughtered but this again could be a Barcelona tease in the first leg. Next leg they will win 8-0

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bayern made me cry.

Damn they are good though right? No issues loosing to the Germans esp Bayern. *******!!

I gotta hand it to PSG I thought they would get slaughtered but this again could be a Barcelona tease in the first leg. Next leg they will win 8-0

That first goal in what, 2 minutes on Buffon? Crazy... just that tiny deflection. I dont think he got his head back for the rest of the game. I see Bayern winning the whole thing, even though I like Dortmund. Bayern has the complete package. I see Barcelona v Bayern in finals and I dont think Barcelona's D is going to let them down. Bayern has too many targets against that midget offsides trap.

While I loved the PSG drama, I think you are right, Barcelona should smack em, but since Messi is day to day, without him, Barcelona is not nearly as scary. With Messi, they crush em. Without Messi, whole new game.

No surprises in the other matches other than I am pissed Dort didnt get their away goal.