The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

supraman

Liked Posts:
Go Bayern fuck those Arsenal bitches. Actually I like Arsenal but still go Bayern

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Wow Cisse... wow... the other vid was taken down already....

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bayern is the Bunde team that I would put in the front runner. My horse this UEFA was Dortmund, but with this improved squad of Shaktar, I am not sure my horse is gonna get out of 16.

Rafael goal... tight cross stopped by keep and gets knocked out to about 30m or so, just right of goal on the angle. Falls to Rafael and he sends a BULLET far side corner that Mr. Fantastic could not have stopped. Very pretty goal.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Bayern is the Bunde team that I would put in the front runner. My horse this UEFA was Dortmund, but with this improved squad of Shaktar, I am not sure my horse is gonna get out of 16.

Rafael goal... tight cross stopped by keep and gets knocked out to about 30m or so, just right of goal on the angle. Falls to Rafael and he sends a BULLET far side corner that Mr. Fantastic could not have stopped. Very pretty goal.
Holy shit, I see it now, the video wasn't down, embedding was. It was still up on Youtube... nice rocket indeed. I like Arsenal... I'm not a big EPL guy, I mean I like watching it a lot of times, but I don't really have a team. I liked Everton and Fulham because of americans, but the only real thing I can say when it comes to teams is fuck Man U.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, I see it now, the video wasn't down, embedding was. It was still up on Youtube... nice rocket indeed. I like Arsenal... I'm not a big EPL guy, I mean I like watching it a lot of times, but I don't really have a team. I liked Everton and Fulham because of americans, but the only real thing I can say when it comes to teams is fuck Man U.

HAHAH! For the most part, I dont have a stake in EPL. I like Tottenham, but it is VERY easy to like them with Bale completely on fire; Give him a lane on his left boot from anywhere inside 30m and you are in trouble. I also like Everton because I love FAHLEEKNEE, a huge fan of Howard, Baines is and underrated mid and Anichebe is my kinda striker... He looks like a bull on his runs.

But for the most part I remain a neutral watcher. I tend to be a fan of players more than teams since we tend to be limited in the States with what games we get to watch. Anyone I know in the states who is a fan of a team, it is usually in the top 4 - 6. Understandable so... if that is all you get to watch...

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that seems to be what happens with most fringe sports viewing in this country. I don't mean fringe sports as in unpopular, I mean sports that have a low toe hold in the viewing market here. Could be anything, hell even college hockey or something like that. So like you said, the sports that are popular but dont' get a lot of air time so when they do it's usually just the most popular teams which only makes them more popular. For sports like that, when I watch rugby or Euro soccer, or even international hockey on occasion... for me I just root for the underdog because it makes me feel more connected to have a team to cheer for and it would be a better ending if the underdog won... or if I'm rooting against a team I hate like Man U or the French.

supraman

Liked Posts:
The first vid. Russians (I think) should not do color for sports. Jesus they sound bored. That goal....he tapped it pretty much from what 20-22 m?Sick.

The second one, jesus fucking christ the spin on that ball was sick Dante teach me how to do that shit in FIFA

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that seems to be what happens with most fringe sports viewing in this country. I don't mean fringe sports as in unpopular, I mean sports that have a low toe hold in the viewing market here. Could be anything, hell even college hockey or something like that. So like you said, the sports that are popular but dont' get a lot of air time so when they do it's usually just the most popular teams which only makes them more popular. For sports like that, when I watch rugby or Euro soccer, or even international hockey on occasion... for me I just root for the underdog because it makes me feel more connected to have a team to cheer for and it would be a better ending if the underdog won... or if I'm rooting against a team I hate like Man U or the French.

You should TOTALLY watch the FA Cup games then. In case you arent familar with the FA Cup, here is the short version:

Longest Cup in English soccer where every single team, in the what, EIGHT pro leagues they have get to compete and have a chance to win it all. They call it The Giant Killer Cup. Every Cup, there are always some incredible upsets. In fact, THAT is the news of FA Cup... you will see articles like: Potential Great Upsets This Weekend" and crap like that. Every game that starts has the potential to make history. And if the game becomes a blow out, you can stop watching if you get bored (I tend to get bored with blowouts).

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's why I think FA cup is probably my favorite just under world cup.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Arsenal Bayern turned out to be a decent game

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's why I think FA cup is probably my favorite just under world cup.

It is for me too. There is an awesome feeling when the nPower 2 league team scores the first goal against a Premier team... You just never know. I like to pull for the underdogs too.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arsenal Bayern turned out to be a decent game

I thought Bayern played very well as, well, Bayern does... Arsenal seemed a bit lost and that second goal was just horrible defending. Bayern moves on in the 16 barring some miracle that the Guns wont be able to muster.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I thought Bayern played very well as, well, Bayern does... Arsenal seemed a bit lost and that second goal was just horrible defending. Bayern moves on in the 16 barring some miracle that the Guns wont be able to muster.

I think the ball possession stat is terribly misleading. In the 2nd half they showed the possession stats and the first half was about 50/50, I wasnt completely watching the game but every time I looked up Bayern had the ball.

Also drawing from FIFA13 experience there have been halfs that I've just dominated and barely played D and the possession stats show about a 50/50 split. I almost think that time spent in a particular half is a better indicator to who is playing better than the possession stats.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the ball possession stat is terribly misleading. In the 2nd half they showed the possession stats and the first half was about 50/50, I wasnt completely watching the game but every time I looked up Bayern had the ball.

Also drawing from FIFA13 experience there have been halfs that I've just dominated and barely played D and the possession stats show about a 50/50 split. I almost think that time spent in a particular half is a better indicator to who is playing better than the possession stats.

Like most stats, possession is really just a facet of the game. Look at the possession numbers for Milan v Barcelona... Barcelona DOMINATED the possession, as they always do, but clearly Milan was in control for the whole of the game. If you went by possession numbers, it may look like Milan got lucky, but that was far from the case.

I like possession and shot stats to give me an idea of what the shape of the game was if I didnt get to see it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
in MLS: I'm wondering how the smeg the Timbers managed to pull off a tie after looking like shit on a hotplate in the 1st half.

Not that I'm complaining...

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! Forgot it was second leg and just turned on the tv where it was already set to the sports channel and I saw the freaking score in the Man U/ Real Madrid game!!!! NOT COOL!!!

They said the game ended in controversy What happened?

Just saw the highlites. Nani's red card was the controversy? Pretty wreckless play I can see how he got the red card on one hand. But at the same time it didn't look intentional. Questionable call for sure and probably did effect the outcome.

The Madrid manager said "the best team lost". Now that is honest coaching/managing. Seeing I didn't see the game is this true?

Guess I get to cheer against Madrid in the next round.