The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA sorry, He is overrated in my book period. Not a fan of his.

But the link there is the equivalent of dirty hit in Hockey. In soccer, to "show" the bottom of the boot in a challenge it dangerous. To do so deliberately in a challenge, more so with a challenge that is not even legitimate, it a bit like Torres making a run at Hoss. This is called a Studs Up challenge.

To put this into Hockey and Hawks, this would be like if Hossa (was an asshole) made a play at a puck, couldnt get it, saw the puck race to an opponent, Hoss misses again, and return, whacks the opponent in the head in response.

He was given an instant red card and will be banned for the next game. And well deserved.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I didn't notice the studs up really... but I went back to look and they took it down damn it.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't notice the studs up really... but I went back to look and they took it down damn it.

Ah gotcha. I didnt notice it at first either because of the camera angle. On the replay, it was clearly garbage. The red card surprised me at first, then after watching, well deserved...

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
second half not as good as the first but still some good chances. man us goalkeeper was player of the match in my opinion. as a former goalie i respect a good goalkeeping performance and his was pretty good.

second leg will be fun.

good round of 16 so far. lots to talk about already.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I hope you are kidding? I just completely made that up, I didn't watch the game or see the score.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
haha no that wasnt the score. thought you were playing it up for count. guess its safe now to dislaim it was a 1 1 draw.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
haha no that wasnt the score. thought you were playing it up for count. guess its safe now to dislaim it was a 1 1 draw.

He was
<

Madrid ManU, ManU looked horrible. Raphael was abysmal. De Gea played real well and helped to quell the nay-sayers about him (myself included). Madrid was robbed and Man U gets to sit pretty into the next match.

Dort v Shak, in case you guys didnt know, Shak picked up Taison (the guy in the video above) after he turned down Chelsea. He was incredible, but subbed out for a fellow brazilan and friend who got one. Both teams looked great and it is a classic german-style passing and movement vs the dynamic brazilian O. Yes, Shak is the Ukraine champs but only have a few Ukraine players; They are all Brazilian offense, East EU D. It is a great combination that is working for them.

Dort should be STOKED with the 2 away goals and while they are my UEFA horse this year, Shak is truly a world-class squad now. It was hard not to switch loyalties.

MAN I love UEFA 16...

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
2 away goals by any team is a huge accomplishment in the 16. Hell of a job by Dort.

Man U did play poorly but man oh man like I said for fans of good goalkeeping such as myself you had to take your hat off to de Gea for playing out of his mind including saving an own goal. Its not common place to have spectacular goalkeeping so when it happens it puts me in awe. Im not sure if the casual football fan understands how difficult of a position it is and how much talent is involved. de Gea put on a show.

And again Ronaldo as talented as fuck as that guy is his cockiness on free kicks sometimes gets the best of him. I understand that he is the rare breed that can nail the ball and pick corners from nearly anywhere on the field on spot balls but reeeeaaaaally now. Sometimes you gotta pinch balls in and let your team try to pick em out of the air rather than simply go for the strike on goal. Ronaldo is a cocky fucker...I wish he wasn't so fucking talented though. I feel guilty for hating him so much. I still crucify him for being the Sid Crosby of football even though his diving addictions are long gone.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2 away goals by any team is a huge accomplishment in the 16. Hell of a job by Dort.

Man U did play poorly but man oh man like I said for fans of good goalkeeping such as myself you had to take your hat off to de Gea for playing out of his mind including saving an own goal. Its not common place to have spectacular goalkeeping so when it happens it puts me in awe. Im not sure if the casual football fan understands how difficult of a position it is and how much talent is involved. de Gea put on a show.

And again Ronaldo as talented as fuck as that guy is his cockiness on free kicks sometimes gets the best of him. I understand that he is the rare breed that can nail the ball and pick corners from nearly anywhere on the field on spot balls but reeeeaaaaally now. Sometimes you gotta pinch balls in and let your team try to pick em out of the air rather than simply go for the strike on goal. Ronaldo is a cocky fucker...I wish he wasn't so fucking talented though. I feel guilty for hating him so much. I still crucify him for being the Sid Crosby of football even though his diving addictions are long gone.

De Gea truly played well. I too have been one to be a bit over-critical of him, but it isnt like he was having all these clean sheets...
<
I am glad he was really on point. He made some amazing saves and it was easily a Man of the Match performance. I too played goalie (although far from my best position) and that finger-tip save far post? That was amazing. Wont hear me talking about the overrated De Gea from me anymore.

Ah Ronaldo... Love em or hate em, your eyes are always on em. That header he had was nothing short of masterful. I agree with the arrogance and such as well, but as he gets older that has improved. He did not celebrate the goal out of respect to ManU. Went out of his way to shake hands with Rafael (after he basically pissed on him the whole match) and Evra (who was their best D man). And I do agree with the free kicks, but he sure wasnt far off... That was what, a 40 meter kick, yeah? Scary...

I think ManU should be stoked they got outta there as light as they did. It felt like the Madrid Show. Although they did play the turtle well, I personally hate it and you could see ManU turtling that away goal up at like the 60-65th minute.

But every game so far has been nothing short of entertaining. Valencia have a real shot of upsetting PSG (is Beckham suppose to play in Paris?) if their goaltender doesnt suck as hard as he did vs PSG. Ibrahimovic wont be in the line up with his card. I would love to see Valencia smack em.

I would also recommend watching the next Dort v Shak. Shak has always been UEFA quality but they are down-right scary now. Their brazilian forwards are the scariest kind of forwards... They rush to the dmen, then they rush right past em. While not as bi an upset as Valencia would be, Dort could be in a bit of trouble.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
hahah I was playing it up, thought maybe I called it... didn't know you were playing along.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
hahah I was playing it up, thought maybe I called it... didn't know you were playing along.

I stopped reading, just in case
<

I think trying to watch soccer when you know the final score is even harder than watching hockey when you know the final score.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I stopped reading, just in case
<

I think trying to watch soccer when you know the final score is even harder than watching hockey when you know the final score.
I honestly can't watch any game that I know the outcome.. I try sometimes, but if it's ruins for me I just turn it off.... our course even if I have something dvr'd and my team is doing horribly and I know they won't win, I turn it off sometimes now too.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly can't watch any game that I know the outcome.. I try sometimes, but if it's ruins for me I just turn it off.... our course even if I have something dvr'd and my team is doing horribly and I know they won't win, I turn it off sometimes now too.

HA! True DAT! I suppose the only time I really watch games where I know the outcome is limited to the Hawks, just so I can see their overall play. Otherwise? I just fast forward soccer to watch the 3 minutes leading up to the goal. The rest? x300 speed...
<

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I can only watch older games if I can't remember the outcome...haha like on BTN or ESPN classic.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
yah i cant watch a football match after knowing the score either unless its a really big game. hockey i can actually watch no problem. its the flow difference. i dont own a pvr so i cant skip around the dull moments.

question about the man u madrid game i forgot to ask. anyone else have issues with the official blowing the match whistle at the moment of a corner kick? given extra time was at 3 mins but hmmmmmm typicallt in big games they will allow the corner and play it out. i found that interesting myself.