The Football (Soccer for us dumb Americans) Thread

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, that was funny...</p>

</p>

And can you say Hole EE Shit Altadore!? Hat trick vs Bosnia (top 12)?! Awesome! If this Brooks center back works out, I mean the US looked like a great team in the second half. And in a 4-4-2 no less!!</p>

</p>

I think Dempsey lost his slot on the A team. I may be wrong but Klins has got to be pissed he moved to MLS over solid Spurs minutes. With this Johannsson kid too, I dont think I have ever seen a white man move that quick.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Had no idea they were on there, off there, and back on again...</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA! I knew Jugie would not forgive Clint for moving from Spurs to MLS. It is not secret Jurg has zero respect for Concacaf football. </p>

</p>

But I also get that Clint needs to handle his. If he had stayed with Spurs, he may not have a contract in States after the Cup and may screw himself. Younger guys like Altidore can play EU football since they have time. Dempsey only has a few years left. </p>

</p>

But still, Jurgie is a coach that is similar to Herb (ALL PRAISE) in that he wants no one to feel like their slot is ensured. I mean he has come out publically and said: </p>

</p>
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Lato, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">But when asked whether his team, when playing at its best, can win the world's most popular tournament, Klinsmann showed the limits of his optimism.</p>
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Lato, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">“No, you've got to be realistic,� he said. “I mean, I think we have the potential, obviously like in the past, to get out of the group stage – it depends, obviously, who you have in your group – and then it's all down to 50-50 games. Then you give the real battles in the knockout stage.</p>
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Lato, sans-serif;font-size:15px;">“But why not going a bit further than you ever did before? Why not giving the big nations, whoever that is, a real battle? And that's why we play those friendlies in Italy or we play in Bosnia or wherever against top teams in the world, and we showed that we can compete there. So why not in the World Cup?�</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
gotta get there before you can have a chance to win it....</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="211085" data-time="1381864667">
<div>

gotta get there before you can have a chance to win it....</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

The good news is the US program has the strength and talent now that really their attendance to the World Cup is all but guaranteed each Cup. I dont think that will change.</p>

</p>

The next step is to have more Americans playing EU ball. The US team/program will not improve by smashing Concacaf. It will only improve with more US players playin EU. It has already done WONDERS for Altidore, Bradley, and Guzan.  </p>

</p>

It all feeds itself though... If US gets out of group stage, more clubs will take notice. US is sitting right at 13th in the FIFA rankings (which is exactly where they should be) and if they dd not get out of group, it wouldnt be because they dont have the talent...</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In MLS news...Portland vs. Seattle in round 1 of the MLS playoffs. </p>

</p>

This one will be like bein' in a war zone, brother!  :)  RCTID!</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="212843" data-time="1383239127">
<div>

In MLS news...Portland vs. Seattle in round 1 of the MLS playoffs. </p>

</p>

This one will be like bein' in a war zone, brother!  :icon-smile:  RCTID!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Concur</p>

</p>

You are in Portland?! My soccer portion of brain matter is very jealous...</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep.  Born in Chicago though--hence my Blackhawks love.  I consider myself lucky--I got to see Hossa, Klinkhammer, Carruth, and other Winterhawks alumni play before they were know--or forgotten, by most of the hockey world.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="212849" data-time="1383247721">
<div>

Yep.  Born in Chicago though--hence my Blackhawks love.  I consider myself lucky--I got to see Hossa, Klinkhammer, Carruth, and other Winterhawks alumni play before they were know--or forgotten, by most of the hockey world.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ha! Right on! My soccer fan will not like you for the next 30 seconds as an act of envy</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As long as you're not a member of "The Pod" and support the Shittle Flounders you're all right with me. :)</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="212854" data-time="1383248504">
<div>

As long as you're not a member of "The Pod" and support the Shittle Flounders you're all right with me. :icon-smile:</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I do not. Admittedly, I am a EU soccer snob for the most part. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="212805" data-time="1383166276">
<div>

The US is screwed for the World Cup:</p>

</p>

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage-Draws</p>

</p>

P.S. A fun site by the way.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Not scared.</p>

</p>

Belgium</p>

France</p>

Ivory Coast.......</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="212859" data-time="1383249497">
<div>

Not scared.</p>

</p>

Belgium</p>

France</p>

Ivory Coast.......</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Wish I was you! That is terrifying! Dont let France's playoff need fool ya...</p>

</p>

Although i did have one I LOVED: Colombia, USA, Ivory Coast, Bosnia. I think that gets em into 16 easy!</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="212861" data-time="1383249803">
<div>

Wish I was you! That is terrifying! Dont let France's playoff need fool ya...</p>

</p>

Although i did have one I LOVED: Colombia, USA, Ivory Coast, Bosnia. I think that gets em into 16 easy!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Fuck france, they will surrender before you even get on the pitch.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No worries tDMA.  I try to catch the premier league when I can.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="212863" data-time="1383249926">
<div>

Fuck france, they will surrender before you even get on the pitch.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

All you have to do is play some Scorpions from the east and they will capitulate. :D</p>